Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
You didn't say exactly what you had form the ME days, but if any of your lenses
are new enough to have the "A" position on the aperture ring, there is no learning curve. Set the aperture to the "A" position and use the lens. It will vary from the new ones only in that you will have to manually focus.

there is some learning curve on the older lenses that were actually contemporary
to your ME Super., as the 'A' position on the aperture ring was introduced with
the 'Super Program' camera body---the next model after your ME super in around 1984.

For the 'A' lenses you will need to do two other minor things. You will need to
set the focus control lever (on the lower left front beside the lens mount to "MF" for "manual Focus", and you will get a flashing message on the screen on the back of the camera wanting you to enter the focal length of the lens to assist the
shake reduction algorithm in implementing shake reduction because the camera
body can't tell what the focal length is of these old lenses.

Unfortunately only 1 had the A setting. I have a 20 mm A 2.8 prime Spiratone and an 80-200 macro zoom that is manual. Also have the 1.4 pentax 50mm prime that has no A setting. I really thought I had more lenses, but the others fit other cameras. I have gotten pretty good with the A lens and have some shots I am proud of. The zoom is not working as well. Am having a harder time focusing it, but I was already tired from holding the camera up all day when I tried it, so maybe another day will be better. That manual setting is so much harder to get a true focus. Thanks for the how-to on setting up the manual lens. Tomorrow will be a true test as I shoot my first "real" pictures at my grandson's pre-K graduation.

05-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Carol Quote

Unfortunately only 1 had the A setting. I have a 20 mm A 2.8 prime Spiratone and an 80-200 macro zoom that is manual. Also have the 1.4 pentax 50mm prime that has no A setting. I really thought I had more lenses, but the others fit other cameras. I have gotten pretty good with the A lens and have some shots I am proud of. The zoom is not working as well. Am having a harder time focusing it, but I was already tired from holding the camera up all day when I tried it, so maybe another day will be better. That manual setting is so much harder to get a true focus. Thanks for the how-to on setting up the manual lens. Tomorrow will be a true test as I shoot my first "real" pictures at my grandson's pre-K graduation.
Hi Carol,

Considering that you are having problems with the weight of the camera due to your athritis, I would recommend you look at the 18-55 WR. If you feel you can handle a bit more weight the 18-135WR is a fabulous lens. The 18-135WR has really fast focus. I have a DA* 16-50 but the IQ for the 18-135 is very good as well, so have not changed lenses in my last two outings.

Have fun with your K5! Its a Greadt lens.

Cheers,
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
Hi Carol,

Considering that you are having problems with the weight of the camera due to your athritis, I would recommend you look at the 18-55 WR. If you feel you can handle a bit more weight the 18-135WR is a fabulous lens. The 18-135WR has really fast focus. I have a DA* 16-50 but the IQ for the 18-135 is very good as well, so have not changed lenses in my last two outings.

Have fun with your K5! Its a Greadt lens.

Cheers,
I definitely think I am going to have to go the auto route. The photos I took yesterday at the graduation were horrible. Very pink and not even focused sharply. I am sure the camera has a corrective setting for the pink, but I don't know enough yet to use it. If I just get a good modern light weight lens that will auto focus, I will get more pictures done. I did find I had a small macro zoom lens but it doesn't do as well as the 20 mm prime. I will try out an 18-135WR but it will have to wait until I get the camera paid off. In the meantime, I am going to try to reverse mount the 50mm for some macro. I absolutely love microscopic macro shots.
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Carol Quote
I definitely think I am going to have to go the auto route. The photos I took yesterday at the graduation were horrible. Very pink and not even focused sharply. I am sure the camera has a corrective setting for the pink, but I don't know enough yet to use it. If I just get a good modern light weight lens that will auto focus, I will get more pictures done. I did find I had a small macro zoom lens but it doesn't do as well as the 20 mm prime. I will try out an 18-135WR but it will have to wait until I get the camera paid off. In the meantime, I am going to try to reverse mount the 50mm for some macro. I absolutely love microscopic macro shots.
I"ve had good luck with macro stuff. Part of the problem with manually focusing is
the fresnal screen. It doesn't have the center focusing aid that the old manual film cameras had so it's really hard to see when it's in focus. YOu usually get
a blinking light in the view finder or a beep when the autofocus thinks your correct however. My Super Program had a split image right in the middle and if you lined up the halves of the split image you were there.

there is a 'white balance' adjustment in the menu system.---- if you turn the camera on and push the "WB button on the back of the camera it will load
a menu that lets you choose the white balance.----usually it does pretty well if you set it to the top one one the list "AWB" for auto white balance, but there is a whole laundry list of choices (most is pictograms).

Macro work is really a lot of fun with a digital camera. As you know trying to get the exposure right is the big deal with macro stuff, and with the instant gratification of the screen on the back of the camera you don't have to wait for the film to come back from the drugstore to see what you did wrong.

While I have a bellows and extension tube set as well as reversing rings, over thelast couple of years I've had a lot of fun with a pentax Ring Light and
a 50 mm Pentax Macro lens. I've found many very little flowers very pretty.
such as this "inside out flower" which is shown here about actual size.

05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I"ve had good luck with macro stuff. Part of the problem with manually focusing is
the fresnal screen. It doesn't have the center focusing aid that the old manual film cameras had so it's really hard to see when it's in focus. YOu usually get
a blinking light in the view finder or a beep when the autofocus thinks your correct however. My Super Program had a split image right in the middle and if you lined up the halves of the split image you were there.

there is a 'white balance' adjustment in the menu system.---- if you turn the camera on and push the "WB button on the back of the camera it will load
a menu that lets you choose the white balance.----usually it does pretty well if you set it to the top one one the list "AWB" for auto white balance, but there is a whole laundry list of choices (most is pictograms).

Macro work is really a lot of fun with a digital camera. As you know trying to get the exposure right is the big deal with macro stuff, and with the instant gratification of the screen on the back of the camera you don't have to wait for the film to come back from the drugstore to see what you did wrong.

While I have a bellows and extension tube set as well as reversing rings, over thelast couple of years I've had a lot of fun with a pentax Ring Light and
a 50 mm Pentax Macro lens. I've found many very little flowers very pretty.
such as this "inside out flower" which is shown here about actual size.
Lovely flower. I agree about the beauty of tiny flowers - oftentimes ordinary ugly objects have hidden beauty that you can only see with magnification. My biggest floral bonanza here are the "weeds" growing on the highway ROW in front of my house.

I saw a video on you tube about using a pringles can and mounting a regular lens to the end of it, but I don't have time to try that right now. As for the focus issue, I don't understand why Pentax (or any high end camera) could not still put the cross hair feature in the digital cameras (showing my ignorance here )

I will play with the white balance and see what I get. I don't expect to go back to the particular church where the graduation was set for a while, so can't test there.

Thanks for keeping me encouraged.