Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

K-5 lens HELP!!

I just purchased the K-5 from Amazon. I had ordered the Sigma 17-70 2.8 macro OS HSM zoom lens to go with it, then read horrible reviews about the seller. I canceled that portion of the order, but now I am left with a camera and no lens. Can someone point me to a reliable dealer for this lens ? I am enxious to get started with my camera as soon as it arrives. If this is the wrong place to post this, please forgive. This lens seemed to give the most for my limited budget. ($500) I have tons of manual lenses from my old ME Super that I am hoping I can learn to use with the new baby. Thanks so much for any help. Brand new to the forum Carol

05-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H has it: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Zoom Lens 668109 B&H Photo

Also, if you buy from them, you will be able to sell any of your old gear for free in our marketplace- see my signature

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If your ME Super lenses are good quality you'll probably be very happy with them as well! The glass from that era can turn out some beautiful images. I enjoy everything from my two fast K-series primes to the latest D-FA WR and DA* zoom lenses.
05-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Sigma 17-70 is a great lens!!

05-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would skip the Sigma and buy the Pentax 17-70 f4, it's just under your $500 budget. I have the previous model Sigma 17-70 and the image quality stinks to be honest (sorry smeggypants), although I haven't heard whether the new 17-70 is better. I can't understand the love for the old Sigma 17-70
05-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My take on my sigma 17-70 is that the image quality is very good, but not much better than the Pentax 18-55 to justify the hassle of the extra size and weight. You could probably pick up an 18-55 for close to free as it's so underrated, IMHO. I prefer the handling of Pentax lenses in general - quick shift is not something I'm prepared to do without. Pentax 16-45 is another low budget, but higher quality option to consider.
05-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Forum Member

The newer Sigma 17-70 is a great lens; better than the Pentax version, in my experience anyway, because of the Pentax SDM which failed on mine (and the replaced SDM still would not lock focus from 65-70mm. The Sigma in-lens OS (you can actually see the OS hold the view in place) is nice, plus it has macro capability.

05-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The Sigma 17-70 HSM OS is my most used lens out of over two dozen lenses. I have better lenses, including the 43 Ltd, but for ever day grab and go, I mount the 17-70. Very nice and useful range, the focus is near instant at any range, and the IQ is very good.
If for some reason I lost this lens,I would order another one instantly.

Here was one of my first shots with the Sigma 17-70 last Spring when I got it...

Using the lens OS
1/20 hand held ISO 1600 K20D F5@70mm

Baby Otie
[IMG] [/IMG]

I have recommended this lens to several people, and every one of them mailed me with their appreciation after getting it.......maybe you will to?
Best Regards! (Buy from B&H or Adorama for a secure no hassle purchase)
05-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a lot of old film cameras that it would be nice to sell here. I really wanted a 2.8 vs 4 lens so now I must choose. I do love my Pentax lenses. With the sigma lens they also have one that does not have the HSM feature that is $100 less. (17-70 F 2-8 4.5 DC Macro) Is this feature the reason the other lens is more, and is it be worth it.? Carol
05-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the old version. I guess the others here have the new version. Old version not lighting fast to focus, but acceptable, non the less.
If I were to do it again, I'd get the 17-50 2.8 instead, as it's the same size but more useful all rounder, IMHO.
05-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If your "film" lenses are Pentax I would not rush in to sell them. They are useable on the K5, or any Pentax DSLR for that matter.
Down the track you may regret off loading some of these lenses.
I use old Pentax lenses every day and am loving the experience on the K5.
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I have the old version. I guess the others here have the new version. Old version not lighting fast to focus, but acceptable, non the less.
If I were to do it again, I'd get the 17-50 2.8 instead, as it's the same size but more useful all rounder, IMHO.

I wonder about my old manuals. Won't know until I can get my hands on the camera what I can do. I did decide to do nothing about buying a lens yet and play with the manuals I have. I have been so overwhelmed making a decision I just didn't. How's that for a cop out?
05-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
If your "film" lenses are Pentax I would not rush in to sell them. They are useable on the K5, or any Pentax DSLR for that matter.
Down the track you may regret off loading some of these lenses.
I use old Pentax lenses every day and am loving the experience on the K5.
I got my camera in and was able to attach a manual lens. I am finding out quickly that I won't be able to take many pictures this way unless I can find a solution to old age HA! I have severe arthritis aggravated by way too much computer time. The camera is so heavy it puts a severe strain on my fingers when I try to hold the camera with my right hand and focus with the left. That said, I had an absolutely marvelous time this morning snapping away. Haven't taken them out of the camera yet, so can't really see the quality of focus, but they look good in the camera.
05-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I would skip the Sigma and buy the Pentax 17-70 f4, it's just under your $500 budget. I have the previous model Sigma 17-70 and the image quality stinks to be honest (sorry smeggypants), although I haven't heard whether the new 17-70 is better. I can't understand the love for the old Sigma 17-70
I have the 17-70/2.5-4.5 and the IQ on my copy doesn't stink at all. Sharp as a sharp thing. Great IQ. You must have a bad copy and/or the AF isn't calibrated.

My copy is so good that it's preventing me from getting a DA* 16-50.

I will add that when I first bought it 2nd hand, it was before I'd heard of AF calibration and it came on a K10D I'd bought off Ebay. The 1st shoot I was really disappointed as I thought it was really soft. btu then I put it onmy K20D and was amazed at how sharp it was. I then discovered AF calibreation and found my K10D was way off on all my lenses. Ocne calibrated I enver looked back.

I now use my17-70 on my K-5s and it continues to amaze me for such a good value lens.

Sorry you had a bad experience with it.
05-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Carol Quote
I just purchased the K-5 from Amazon. I had ordered the Sigma 17-70 2.8 macro OS HSM zoom lens to go with it, then read horrible reviews about the seller. I canceled that portion of the order, but now I am left with a camera and no lens. Can someone point me to a reliable dealer for this lens ? I am enxious to get started with my camera as soon as it arrives. If this is the wrong place to post this, please forgive. This lens seemed to give the most for my limited budget. ($500) I have tons of manual lenses from my old ME Super that I am hoping I can learn to use with the new baby. Thanks so much for any help. Brand new to the forum Carol
You didn't say exactly what you had form the ME days, but if any of your lenses
are new enough to have the "A" position on the aperture ring, there is no learning curve. Set the aperture to the "A" position and use the lens. It will vary from the new ones only in that you will have to manually focus.

there is some learning curve on the older lenses that were actually contemporary
to your ME Super., as the 'A' position on the aperture ring was introduced with
the 'Super Program' camera body---the next model after your ME super in around 1984.

For the 'A' lenses you will need to do two other minor things. You will need to
set the focus control lever (on the lower left front beside the lens mount to "MF" for "manual Focus", and you will get a flashing message on the screen on the back of the camera wanting you to enter the focal length of the lens to assist the
shake reduction algorithm in implementing shake reduction because the camera
body can't tell what the focal length is of these old lenses.