Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x Advice needed

I got a Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x for Pentax -- and it will not work with my K5 and DA*300mm f/4 lens. It works with my 100mm WR macro but not the 300. Anyone else have this TC. I understood it would work with the DA*300.

When I install the TC and the 300 -- the battery indicator shows full with noting else on the display. When I push the focus button the battery indicator goes to empty and blinks. I do hear a quick sound from the SDM. Looks like it not making a connection to the power source. But, with the 100mm all is well.

Any advice or anyone with experience with this TC would be helpful

05-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pastorbbc Quote
I got a Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x for Pentax -- and it will not work with my K5 and DA*300mm f/4 lens. It works with my 100mm WR macro but not the 300. Anyone else have this TC. I understood it would work with the DA*300.

When I install the TC and the 300 -- the battery indicator shows full with noting else on the display. When I push the focus button the battery indicator goes to empty and blinks. I do hear a quick sound from the SDM. Looks like it not making a connection to the power source. But, with the 100mm all is well.

I have both, and the combination should work (albeit with less than optimal AF performance). I've never run into what you are describing in terms of the battery/power issue. I would also suggest checking and cleaning the PZ contacts to make sue that it's not something simple.

Last edited by dgaies; 05-10-2011 at 06:25 AM.
05-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Where are you attempting to use it? In anything but optimal light, it will hunt, if you are lucky. Outdoors in good light it will work, but still may mis-focus even in optimal conditions. Have you tried using it in liveview? I've found the 1.4x and 2x both work much better (though still not perfect) with my 50-135 and also sigma 120-400mm (both use the power contacts for the focus motor; the sigma won't work outside of liveview) using liveview.

It works without issue with the 100mm macro because it uses the screwdrive.
05-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have the combination of K5, DA*300 f4 and Tamron 1.4x Pz TC. It works perfectly including (and quite surprisingly) autofocus in much lower light than I would have imagined possible. I also have not observed any problems like you have described using the equivalent 1.5x Kenko TC, nor have I observed those problems with other SDM lenses.

05-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks -- I bought the TC off ebay. I've cleaned the contacts -- nothing works. Is there a Tamron -f PZ and a Tamron PZ without the -F? Mine is a Tamron -F -- When I cut the camera on it shows the full battery -- then I hear what sounds like a SDM focus and the battery indicator starts blinking and shows empty. There is nothing else showing other than the battery indicator -- you can't turn on live view or go to a menu. Without the TC the DA*300 works perfectly. Guess I got took on ebay.

Thanks
05-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks -- I bought the TC off ebay. I've cleaned the contacts -- nothing works. Is there a Tamron -f PZ and a Tamron PZ without the -F? Mine is a Tamron -F -- When I cut the camera on it shows the full battery -- then I hear what sounds like a SDM focus and the battery indicator starts blinking and shows empty. There is nothing else showing other than the battery indicator -- you can't turn on live view or go to a menu. Without the TC the DA*300 works perfectly. Guess I got took on ebay.

Thanks
It sounds like you have the right TC, but something isn't right as what you're describing certainly isn't normal.
05-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the same combination and it works fine. Clean the contacts again. If that doesn't work, i suggest you take into a camera repair shop and see if those pz contacts need adjusting. There might well be a slight tolerance distance difference between the two lenses you are using.
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
what do you use to clean the contacts?