Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

WB when doing multiexposure?

I decided to try the built in multiexposure function (in raw mode) to see if could get even less noise and thus pump up sharpness even higher without artifacts in PP.

But instead I got this weird WB thing I don't understand. I set the WB to tungsten (as I was indoor, on a tripod) and first shot a single frame for comparison, and then I shoot 2 frames in multiexposure mode.

Everything looks fine in camera preview, but when imported into lightroom or raw therapee the multiexposure shoot has a totally different WB compared to the single frame. In lightroom color temp is maxed out at 2000 and tint -150 and can't be corrected to look normal. In rawtherapee it gets another temperature and can be corrected but it is still far from the same temp as the single shoot.

And ideas on what is going on?

(The same thing happens with auto WB.)

05-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera? If one (like K-5) that has auto-correction switch in the menu for tungston, what was that set to? Any flash used and if so the settings?
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Is this by any chance what you are seeing?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/137365-...ng-pentax.html

I was hoping that somebody would try this before updating to FW 1.03 but there were no takers.

05-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, yes it's a K5.

And JeffJs, yes that seems to be the same thing I'm seeing, lots of purple. (I'm on 1.03 as well ). And I came to the same conclusion, the color temp doesn't seem to be recorded properly in the dng-file since lightroom and rawtherapee came up with very different numbers.

05-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Sorry, yes it's a K5.

Great.
What are you Custom Settings for items #10-#12?
Was a flash involved?

I will try to reproduce the issue if I can nail down your settings. Might as well include lens settings too (fl-mm, aperture) so I can do this once.
05-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Great.
Was a flash involved?

I will try to reproduce the issue if I can nail down your settings. Might as well include lens settings too (fl-mm, aperture) so I can do this once.
It doesn't matter.

Attached Images

05-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Great.
Was a flash involved?

I don't have the camera with me right now so I can't check specific settings, but no flash, and exposure time about 0.3s so electrical light flickering should not be an issue.
08-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got the same results as the OP on multi-exposure with my K-5 (FW 1.11).
No idea what's going on there - complete purple image on ACR despite tint and temperature as in the first post, but looks OK on camera LCD screen after shooting the exposures.

Has no-one else reproduced this, and if so any insight as to what may be the cause?

08-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just got the same results as the OP on multi-exposure with my K-5 (FW 1.11).
No idea what's going on there - complete purple image on ACR despite tint and temperature as in the first post, but looks OK on camera LCD screen after shooting the exposures.

Has no-one else reproduced this, and if so any insight as to what may be the cause?
I tried but could not get anything unusual (k-5 and 1.11) in ACR. I am going to do it again, a little more exacting this time.
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I at one time asked somebody with v1.02 or earlier to try this. Couldn't get any takers or even anybody who understood what multi-exposure was. The Pentax software seems to put them together properly and the white balance seems to be getting lost in ACR with multi exposure. I don't know if it's a Pentax thing or an ACR thing. It happens with both, DNG and PEF type files and of course, translates to the JPG. I haven't loaded v1.11 yet.

08-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think it's a Pentax problem since neither ACR, Lightroom or rawtherapee can handle the multiexposed K5 files. As I recall it this was not a problem with the K10.
08-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, first time I've experienced it too, and I've had the K10D, K20D, and K-7 to experiment this with before...
08-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Does it look fine in PDCU?
I guess the cam writes different info in the exif for multiexposure shots and third-party softwares cannot understand / don't know that.
08-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Does it look fine in PDCU?
I guess the cam writes different info in the exif for multiexposure shots and third-party softwares cannot understand / don't know that.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/137365-...ml#post1437356