Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Photos Not Being saved To Card - Fault?

Hi. A strange thing happened today! I took several DNG photos, some with Live View and some normal using one of my User modes. I was able to review the shots, make changes to exposure etc, and take more. All of which I could review. Switched off the camera.

A couple of minutes later I switched it back on and none of the shots were there! About 300 old images were, but none of the shots just taken! I though that maybe I had been using the Preview lever instead of the shutter release so I tried again with the shutter release to make sure.

I took some more which I was able to review. But guess what happened when I switched off the camera and switched it back on. None of the new shots present.

When I got home, I deleted all images. And tried again. Problem gone. I hope!! Has anyone had this happen?

At the time of shooting, I was using a K5 with 16GB Transcend class 10 card. DA 16-45mm and DA 18-55mmWR

05-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had the same thing happen twice with my K5.....you can see the images, view them on the LCD with no problem, but when you go to download they just don't exist?
Each day shows as a separate folder, and when this has happened, it was always the current days folder that was empty. The card was no where near full? All other folders were still intact.

Regards
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Other people have reported the same problem using Transcend cards. If you duplicate the conditions of the memory card, does the problem happen again? Take 300 shots of nothing, then switch to dng and try again. Try it with the transcend card.

Then try it with a known good Sandisk Extreme card.

It should be said that the images were recovered with recovery software. They are on the card somewhere, until you write over them.

Last edited by enoeske; 05-10-2011 at 01:52 PM.
05-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It happened to me last weekend with a 16gb PNY card. Was able to recover the images but it was really weird.

05-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine was a 8G PNY card in all instances. I have a 8G Kodak card that won't even operate in the K5, but works fine in the K20D?
What's going on?
Regards!
05-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Has this only happened with the K5? I also have two 8gb Dane-Elec cards I used in my K200D and never had a problem with them. I might have to use them for stuff for paying clients. It's no good me doing a photoshoot for portraits or wedding, and images gone. What happens if I cannot recover them? Is it the card or the camera, Any ideas?
05-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's the card, not the camera. Time to buy a decent card.

05-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a 16GB Transcend class 10 card since more than 2 years - never an issue.
05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If the card works fine in the K20D but not in the K5, it's not the card. PNY is not a cheap card, neither is Kodak.
Regards
05-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Brooke Meyer

Format Frequently and Have Backup

Once I have my images on 2 disk drives, I format the card, in the camera, every time. I've run 35 to 40 thousand images through Transcend Class 6 & 10 cards since 2008, K10, K20s' & K5. never a problem. Shot a corporate event today involving 2 busses, a 5th floor rooftop and 150 people, no do over here. I shot it with 2 cameras, a K20 and a K5. Nothing is infallible.

Discussing this sort of thing at our local camera club, a veteran photographer mentioned the only failure he ever had was with a SanDisk. When I show up at a job, 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 2 flashes, spare batteries, extra memory cards, etc.

40+years in the computer industry, expect anomalies.
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The same happened to me with my K-5, and a new RAW SDHC 16 GB card. It only happened once - I came back from a walkaround where I had seen images on instant playback, but later found the card to be empty. I reformatted the card, and haven't been able to reproduce the issue since. I also make a habit of reformatting every time, after images are safely into my computer.
05-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think there must be a logical explanation, I just don't know what it is? I can't seem to make this experience repeat itself as yet, but I am watching closely as my card adds folders.

As for the "dead" Kodak card that works fine in the K20D.....I posted this in the Troubleshooting forum a while back....no one else had a clue either?

Keep us posted and I will do the same and see if this repeats......and try to make some sense of it? Maybe some unknown setting that is activated in the K5?

Best Regards!
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Don't know whether up to now I have been lucky or inadvertently have always done the right thing over the last 6 years at least.

I use SanDisk mainly 2 and 4 GB. The reason is simple. When out on a shoot, local or overseas, there is always the chance of loss or theft (malfunction as well). If you plan your activities correctly you can only ever lose 2 or 4 GB of images, never 16 or 32 GB worth of images.

Also, I never erase images directly at card level either on the computer or camera. Manipulating memory cards on the computer is probably the greatest cause of trouble in my opinion. To erase cards I always do this by Formatting in camera. Also do not format a card in one camera (different brand) and then use it in another. (You probably know this already anyway).

This is probably not a great intellectual contribution here by me but I thought I mention it anyway as sometimes the simple things are overlooked.

Greetings from hot and sticky Cambodia
05-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
"This is probably not a great intellectual contribution here by me but I thought I mention it anyway as sometimes the simple things are overlooked.

Greetings from hot and sticky Cambodia"

Every lesson learned the hard way, helps. I tried to duplicate the problem by rattling off the images at 7fps until i got about 300. But no problem. But that might be a different set of events to what triggered the initial problem.
05-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #15
Banned

I had it once with PQ1 card. When I looked back at it I interfered the writing- and processingtime by pressing the photoplayback button while the camera was still busy writing. So maybe that was just he problem?