Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO Button customization

Hey all, new user to the forum, although I've been reading for a while. Just got a new K5 and had a question about customizing the controls.

Old camera was a K10D, and the button sequence to change the ISO setting was hold "OK" and move the front e-dial.

On the K-5, you press the "ISO" button and the move the rear e-dial. Is there any way to switch that to the front e-dial? I've really gotten used to the front dial on the K10, and would love to be able to keep using it.

Thanks,

-Jeff

05-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Not sure which finger you are using, but it would be hard for me to use my index finger to hold the ISO button and change the front dial. Are you shooting in manual mode or something? I just set the front dial to be ISO for most modes anyway, so maybe you can do that instead?
05-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It all depends which shooting mode you are in. For example, I have shutter speed on the front dial and aperture on the rear dial in P and manual modes, for example. In AV mode I have AV on the rear dial and ISO on the front dial (no need to press the ISO button at all) In TV mode I have speed on the front dial and ISO on the rear dial.

The available options are under settings menu, page 5,'E-dial programming'
05-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
it would be hard for me to use my index finger to hold the ISO button and change the front dial
You don't have to hold the ISO button, if you just press (and release) it then the dial stays in "ISO mode" until you press the ISO button again. So there are two ways: 1. press and hold ISO button while using the dial; 2. press ISO button, use dial, press ISO button again.

By the way, the EV comp button works the same. It's all in the manual

05-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, just customise it as per your preferences on the E-dial customisation menu option.
The ISO button then becomes an OK button replacement for the K10D/K20D, but you still have the ability to change ISO with the front e-dial in Tv, Av and even X modes if desired.

Last edited by Ash; 05-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
05-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Record menu 5. E-Dial customization. In Av and Tv on mine, ISO is on the front dial. You can set it so it's on the rear as well if you want. The modes that use both dials for other things, M, TAv, etc you're stuck with the ISO button (not that it's a bad thing).

05-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For me: ISO always on rear dial, Av always on front dial - Unless mode dictates otherwise o.e TAv where Front is Av and rear is Tv

05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I understand that I can customize the e-dial in specific modes, but the goal was to have the dials always perform the same task regardless of mode, i.e. rear dial always Av, front dial always Tv, and then button-front dial-button for ISO. Specifically for manual mode.

I guess I'll have to get used to the way it is - no big deal. Otherwise love the K5.

-Jeff
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Yeah, I don't think you can remap the ISO function specifically. Some day perhaps they will give us a way to map everything. It only took them 4 generations to make the RAW button useful to me.

05-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

E-dial customisation should be able to assign most combinations of functions as you please, except of course where a variable is not applicable, such as ISO in TAv mode...
But of course you can't have the same functions on each camera mode, since some variables aren't applicable:
e.g. Av: Av rear, -- front (obviously can't assign Tv there)
Tv: -- rear, Tv front
TAv: Av rear, Tv front
M: Av rear, Tv front
X: Av rear, -- front... etc.

This is basically how I have my e-dials assigned EXCEPT, I too had gotten used to how the K10D/K20D functioned and preferred to have the above -- filled by ISO. (And I also liked the Tv e-dial in Tv mode to be at the rear instead.) And instead of the OK + front e-dial, it's now ISO button then rear e-dial.