Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax - south africa (fantastic!!)

Hi

This is a follow-up post to this one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/135938-okay-i-am-going-b...t-where-2.html

I contacted the South African distributors of PENTAX [New Teltron Pty (LTD)].

The person in charge of Pentax, Alister Chambers, was fantastic!

It made no difference to him that I had bought my K5 from Adorama, I told them that I had imported the camera legally and my word alone was good enough for Alister.

Yesterday, I collected my new K5 from the local mall and it's sensor is spotless!!

I am highly impressed with both Pentax and their local distributors and thank them for their outstanding service.

Thanks again to Helen Oster for your concern!

William Walker
PIETERMARITZBURG
South Africa

05-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi William, I am also considdering buying a K5 from Adorama, as it seems as if prices in South Africa are very high. Glad to hear obout Pentax SA service. If I may ask, what was the total cost to get it to you, and how long did it take?
05-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #3

High Willy and Christo,

I too am contemplating a K5 purchase but have not seen any to be bought through the Pentax SA normal channel. My local camera dealer (in Pietersburg / Polokwane) told me he is not going to be getting any more Pentax stock because he was told by the Kodac sales rep that "Kodac was taking over pentax and everything will change" . I think that is just rumour and can probably be traced back to an April Fools joke that appeared on the UK bases Pentax forum.
I have been concerned that I might get a dud unit and would then be faced with massive shipping costs to and from the US for repair. There is another South African who posts under the name "Sterretje" who had stain problems and had the camera replaced. I sent him a PM to find out the deatails but did not get a response.
By the way B & H, as of yesterday, were showing the K5 with 18-55 kit lens at $1479 as apposed to Adorama @ $1549.

Regards,

John K
05-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Christo & John

I paid around R12 000.00 (Body only) after getting it through customs.

Let me give you Alister's number and see if he can't organise something. It is 079 739 9764.

Give him a ring and see what he says.

05-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it handy
05-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #6

The Rand is very strong right now

I just returned from the Eastern Cape last week and found the strength of the Rand noticeable, at least when spending in US dollars! I think the current exchange rate is around 6.5. I much preferred it at 13!

Since dealer pricing suffers exchange rate lag, you'll probably do a lot better buying from the USA, even if you have to pay duty.

Incidentally, on my recent trip, I checked the banned import list and it is bizarre (includes electric blankets?).

Mike
05-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
I just returned from the Eastern Cape last week and found the strength of the Rand noticeable, at least when spending in US dollars! I think the current exchange rate is around 6.5. I much preferred it at 13!

Since dealer pricing suffers exchange rate lag, you'll probably do a lot better buying from the USA, even if you have to pay duty.

Incidentally, on my recent trip, I checked the banned import list and it is bizarre (includes electric blankets?).

Mike
I just returned from 3 weeks in the Eastern Cape myself.