Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
squirrel population on this forum needed something like this.
On topic - I want a K-5 to see how it feels and works. But i guess nobody on 100 miles radius has one where i live. So i don't want one.
Oh, you want one! I hear you on the availability of Pentax in retail outlets..it is pathetic that there are so few places where you can hold one. This was one of my reasons for holding off on the purchase, along with the problems it had on its first arrival.

The problems are gone, and you are now missing the biggest advance in a Pentax DSLR since the D. Don't let ordering online stop you from a joy you have never experienced before in a Pentax DSLR.....amazing is too soft a word to describe the K5. It goes beyond just the abilities and excellent IQ at both very high and very low ISO, it is mostly the New Confidence it gives you when you step out in the world to shoot. Old limiting boundaries are gone....and you have assurance that you will get the shot you want....and you do!

Don't cheat yourself, just hit that "Buy Now" button and order one. If I have not been totally honest with you, I am not hard to find.....call me out, right here. Otis might pull your leg, but I never would on the K5, it is everything I have said and much more.

Best Regards!

BTW: Otis asks?......Anyone got any more Squirrels? He also advises that this is a "Gun Free" zone.....check your guns at the door, he has Uncle Louie Squirrel standing at the entrance to take them......You can bet that Uncle Louie will treat them right!

05-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
StepOne said "I want a K-5 to see how it feels and works. But i guess nobody on 100 miles radius has one where i live."

I know what you mean! In Australia you have to live in one of the capital cities to actually handle one before you buy. I determined not to buy one until I could hold it...but I weakened and ordered from one of our web stores. I did the right thing, and if you want one, take the plunge.
05-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Oh, you want one! I hear you on the availability of Pentax in retail outlets..it is pathetic that there are so few places where you can hold one. This was one of my reasons for holding off on the purchase, along with the problems it had on its first arrival.

The problems are gone, and you are now missing the biggest advance in a Pentax DSLR since the D. Don't let ordering online stop you from a joy you have never experienced before in a Pentax DSLR.....amazing is too soft a word to describe the K5. It goes beyond just the abilities and excellent IQ at both very high and very low ISO, it is mostly the New Confidence it gives you when you step out in the world to shoot. Old limiting boundaries are gone....and you have assurance that you will get the shot you want....and you do!

Don't cheat yourself, just hit that "Buy Now" button and order one. If I have not been totally honest with you, I am not hard to find.....call me out, right here. Otis might pull your leg, but I never would on the K5, it is everything I have said and much more.

Best Regards!

BTW: Otis asks?......Anyone got any more Squirrels? He also advises that this is a "Gun Free" zone.....check your guns at the door, he has Uncle Louie Squirrel standing at the entrance to take them......You can bet that Uncle Louie will treat them right!
Heh, my K-x is enough for now, i don't plan to buy another body for at least one year. I hit the "buy now" on my first kid a while ago, takes a little time to deliver, but in the end of July I'll get it! Since I'm not making any money from photography, any investment will have to wait (and i need the time to make a strong case, my wife will be the judge). As for Otis, i never used a gun nor do i plan to, i don't like them. Sadly i can't show him one of his cousins here in Romania, i would have to go 150 km to find one easy.
05-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Rupert,
I ran across this winery here in MO, and immediately thought of you,
and of course Otis!
Three Squirrels Winery - Missouri Wines - St. James, Missouri

As far as the K-5 goes, it has pretty much cured my LBA.
Slow lens?
Kick up the ISO a notch or two or three, and fire away!

Last edited by robtcorl; 05-15-2011 at 05:59 AM.
05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Heh, my K-x is enough for now, i don't plan to buy another body for at least one year. I hit the "buy now" on my first kid a while ago, takes a little time to deliver, but in the end of July I'll get it! Since I'm not making any money from photography, any investment will have to wait (and i need the time to make a strong case, my wife will be the judge). As for Otis, i never used a gun nor do i plan to, i don't like them. Sadly i can't show him one of his cousins here in Romania, i would have to go 150 km to find one easy.
I have a friend that has the Kx, I recommended it to him. While I think the K5 has more features you will enjoy, the Kx is plenty of camera and the IQ is superb. If you have the Kx, there is no need to get in a big hurry, you are well equipped already!

Best Regards!......& maybe Otis will send you a box of Squirrels?
05-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Rupert,
I ran across this winery here in MO, and immediately thought of you,
and of course Otis!
Three Squirrels Winery - Missouri Wines - St. James, Missouri

As far as the K-5 goes, it has pretty much cured my LBA.
Slow lens?
Kick up the ISO a notch or two or three, and fire away!

Gotta Love It! I knew Otis was investing somewhere, but just had no idea where? Now I know!

Yes, I agree, the K5 makes slow lenses fast.....Gotta love that too!

Best Regards & Thanks for that link, I'll be getting me some free wine now! I'm not a wine lover, but it makes great shoe polish!
05-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
How do the squirrel people feel about chipmunks?
Me likes!!!!!

05-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Just got my K-5, and it is amazing how much better it is than my K-7, especially since I shoot a lot at higher ISOs.

05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Just got my K-5, and it is amazing how much better it is than my K-7, especially since I shoot a lot at higher ISOs.
Congratulations! Yes, it is a wonderful camera for low light shooting, or anything else. Care for a slice of fresh apple?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards & Enjoy!
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #55

K5 is in the mail, Pentax DA 18-250 is in the mail (17-70DA will be for sale possibly)

Olympus SZ30MR for the wife

Excited!
05-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #56

Got my K5 today, battery is charging. I had put in the battery (half-ish charged) just to check it out a bit. I noticed that the camera seems slower to ready for the next shot (spent writing?) than the K7 I traded for it. Could be my imagination.

Going to be going around the country in a week, gonna take it along to play with.
05-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
Got my K5 today, battery is charging. I had put in the battery (half-ish charged) just to check it out a bit. I noticed that the camera seems slower to ready for the next shot (spent writing?) than the K7 I traded for it. Could be my imagination.

Going to be going around the country in a week, gonna take it along to play with.
Congratulations, you will love it. Get a very fast SD card, it will help some, but I too think it is a little slow to produce a preview shot. Really doesn't bother me much at all, the camera is just fantastic in almost all respects...areas where it might be better are very few.
Best Regards & Have Fun!
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #58
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote

Welcome to the Club.

Turn off the lens corrections, highlight correction, and shadow correction. It'll speed the camera right up.

05-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #59

Yeah, I turned those options on to see the effect. It obviously requires some processing power before writing so took more time. I have turned it off and I'm ok. I'm trying to figure out if I need to test for the sensor stain (serial is 401xxx). I'm waiting for my 18-250 lens from the US. Currently have the 17-70 SDM which is quite ok as well.
05-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Many times, even if you have a stained camera it will not show up right away. Put your camera at f22, point it at a birdless sky, and take a picture. My stained sensor didn't reveal itself for 4 months. Pentax replaced the camera under warranty. It was frustrating to have to deal with it and be without my camera for a month but I'm a happy shooter now, again. Meanwhile, just enjoy the camera. Here's a recent trick photograph from mine with the FA43mm Limited.