Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
nice photo...

I have taken photos at F22 against a white wall. Photo doesn't show anything. Light was low. Do I need to take the photo in strong light?

Photome says my manufacture date is 2011-03-02. Don't know if I should even bother at the moment. Seems ok

05-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Congratulations! Yes, it is a wonderful camera for low light shooting, or anything else. Care for a slice of fresh apple?

Best Regards & Enjoy!
Oh boy, do I see enlarged nipples there, doesn't that mean she got babies? How immoral, Rupert you should get her a bra. Can't wait for the babies pictures.
05-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
nice photo...

I have taken photos at F22 against a white wall. Photo doesn't show anything. Light was low. Do I need to take the photo in strong light?

Photome says my manufacture date is 2011-03-02. Don't know if I should even bother at the moment. Seems ok
Just keep an eye on it but I wouldn't obsess over it. It's covered by warranty if it occurs so for the moments, enjoy the camera.

05-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Oh boy, do I see enlarged nipples there, doesn't that mean she got babies? How immoral, Rupert you should get her a bra. Can't wait for the babies pictures.
I can't hide it any longer....my Squirrels are just low life sluts, with no morals and no modesty whatsoever. I buy them bras and little silk panties, but they just scamper around in the nude like no one notices. I kept telling them, when you dress like that, or run around naked, you will end up with a big belly and lots of hungry mouths to feed.......did no good, I have pregnant Squirrels all over the place.

I asked Otis what happened to their Family Values.....he said they have Great Family Values, just like politicians.....
Best Regards!

They never listen, do they?
[IMG] [/IMG]

05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #65
Veteran Member

My oldest grandson will be graduating from high school soon; he will be on the floor of a large college basketball pit for the ceremonies, and I probably be in the nosebleed section up in the stands, wanting to get some good pictures.

With the K5, no problem. I'll use my Pentax 18-250mm lens, giving me a 35mm maximum equivalent of 375mm. Will it be too dark for me to hand-hold that lens at maximum extension and still freeze motion? Nuh-huh. I'll use the K5's TAv mode, set the speed for something around 1/200, and go for maximum aperture. The shake reduction feature will give me an extra couple of stops, and the camera will apply automatic ISO suitable for the shot. I get very usable shots at ISO 3200, and with this camera I can get shots at up to ISO 51200 and clean up the minimal noise in PP.

With 16.2 megapixels, the resulting big pictures can be cropped creatively just about any way I want so I can get some really good shots of my grandson getting his diploma - no need to get close with a flash.

The K5 gives me these capabilities; few other cameras can.

John
05-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a bad idea.....I would just get down closer in one of the walkways and shoot until someone made me move. After they argued with me for 10 minutes, they would give up and just let me shoot away! Done it many times! You would be surprised at what you can do if you just do it!
Best Regards
05-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I agree fully with you Rupert! I now walk around venue's as my own self appointed official photographer.. until "forced" to change my thinking... has not happened yet!

05-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Nothing more shameful than a squirrel with his nuts all over the place!
05-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Nothing more shameful than a squirrel with his nuts all over the place!
Otis keeps his nuts in my office....brought them in last winter so they wouldn't get too cold....said there is nothing worse than cold nuts......I have to agree.
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another reason you want the K5......quick snaps....the kind where you just point and shoot to capture a smile that will only last an instant. Even inside in mixed light, if you are shooting in Tav with your speed set around 160, you will get a usable shot. Here the K5 picked ISO 3200, and it was just fine for me!
The fast and accurate focus along with the speed and good quality high ISO makes snapping fun where it used to be problematic.

[IMG] [/IMG]

If you are still undecided about the K5, can you tell us why? Maybe we can answer any concerns you have left? I have a true desire for everyone to enjoy this great camera, even if you are just an amateur like me, it will make a big difference in your shooting experience......Remember......Otis Guarantees it!

Best Regards!

BTW- She loves Squirrels...and has a thing for Otis! I told that to Otis and, true to form, he asked if he could see the "thing".
05-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Otis keeps his nuts in my office....brought them in last winter so they wouldn't get too cold....said there is nothing worse than cold nuts......I have to agree.
[/url] [/IMG]
Very HQ photo Rupert I loved it, congrats, is there any PP'ing BTW?
05-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #72
Forum Member

If you are still undecided about the K5, can you tell us why? Maybe we can answer any concerns you have left? I have a true desire for everyone to enjoy this great camera, even if you are just an amateur like me, it will make a big difference in your shooting experience......Remember......Otis Guarantees it!
I was originally excited to get a K-5, but now I am very apprehensive. I currently have a K-x, but have decided I want a camera with a verticle grip, and the autofocus indicators would be nice also. Most of the photos I take are of my daughters playing basketball, hockey, and softball. Anybody who has taken pictures in a gym or hockey rink know the lighting is terrible, and it's usually tungsten lights. This seems to be an area where the K-5 has problems.

There have been several posts/articles about the low light autofocus issues of the K-5 (i.e. LumoLabs). I'm having a hard time justifying spending around $1,500 (body and grip) for a camera that has issues, and a company that doesn't seem to be doing much about it. From what I've read, Pentax isn't know for having great autofocus (speed or accuracy) to begin with, and now this problem is making me leery of buying further into the Pentax brand.

Now I don't know if I should buy a K-5, or switch to a Nikon or maybe a Sony. I want to stay with Pentax, but now I'm just not sure.

JP
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
I was originally excited to get a K-5, but now I am very apprehensive. I currently have a K-x, but have decided I want a camera with a verticle grip, and the autofocus indicators would be nice also. Most of the photos I take are of my daughters playing basketball, hockey, and softball. Anybody who has taken pictures in a gym or hockey rink know the lighting is terrible, and it's usually tungsten lights. This seems to be an area where the K-5 has problems.

There have been several posts/articles about the low light autofocus issues of the K-5 (i.e. LumoLabs). I'm having a hard time justifying spending around $1,500 (body and grip) for a camera that has issues, and a company that doesn't seem to be doing much about it. From what I've read, Pentax isn't know for having great autofocus (speed or accuracy) to begin with, and now this problem is making me leery of buying further into the Pentax brand.

Now I don't know if I should buy a K-5, or switch to a Nikon or maybe a Sony. I want to stay with Pentax, but now I'm just not sure.

JP
The lighting in the gymnasium is more likely Sodium Vapor and your EV in the space likely exceeds the values in the lumolabs study. The Issue is/was with low light values, particularly affected by tungsten lighting. It was further tied to the specific color of the light if I remember correctly. Remember that not all Tungsten light is created equally. If I Further remember correctly, it is also tied to lenses faster than f2.8 because apertures are always held wide open during focusing.

05-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote

JP

The Kx is a nice camera, I have a friend that I recommended one to and he is thrilled with it. He is a light shooter, not as all-consumed with photography as most here are, so it works great for his needs. What it is not is the K5......they are just two different cameras on two different levels. When he handles my K5 he always comments on the many differences.....even the feel in your hands is very different.

I have another friend....a long time Nikon shooter, but not too heavily invested in Nikon glass. He ordered the D7K and when it came in and he used it a day and compared it side by side with my K5, and shot both, he sent it back and ordered the K5. Too many missing features on the Nikon, too many unique features on the K5 to be without.....and again, the feel in the hands is there on the K5. You feel like you are holding a high grade solid camera, not a plastic toy....and you feel that way because you are! He had no VS lenses, and now with SR he is constantly amazed that he can buy older lenses and find everything he mounts is stabilized.....and comments often that Nikon has cheated him in the past, and is still cheating all its shooters with a lack of SR.
Do a side by side of all the features of each and the K5 wins every time....quite easily.

K5 problems? Nope, I won't deny that the K5 had a tough entry into this world....like a breech baby, it was on shaky ground and the beginning was an "ify" situatiuon. I can emphatically state here that the K5 has fully recovered and can now win most any race with any competitor. Simply Amazing is too weak a description for the K5.....I have experienced no problems with focus, focus speed, light sources, low light, flash or flash position, or anything else. If I had,you would damn sure hear me squealing right here. I don't owe Pentax a dime....and am no Pentax Fanboy...but at the same time, they made a hell of a camera with the K5, and I give them credit for that, and for the corrections they made to get it right.

Shoot with whatever makes you happy...I have friends that shoot Nikon, Canon, and Oly.....liking what you shoot with is important, but not a one of them has a camera as good as the K5, and almost all reviews favor the K5...with good reason.
Lastly....no other camera made carries the Otis Guarantee. That is pretty damn impressive if you know Otis.....

Best Regards!

BTW- Here is a processed version of my quick snap of Dottie.......I think I prefer the original......but women usually like the processed versions best....
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #75
Forum Member

What about autofocus tracking? How does the K-5 compare to the D7000 (I was actually looking at the D90 because it's a good price right now and compares fairly well with the K-x, and I've been happy with my K-x)? I do a lot of low light sports photography so that is important for me. I'm starting to think some of the shots I miss are because the Pentax autofocus isn't that accurate. I am an amature, but I still want my pictures to look good.

I really wish the K-5 didn't have the rough start it did. I'd have one already, but it has created doubt in my mind. I'm also not sure how much effort Pentax is putting into lens developement. Where is the first party 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 lenses? I'd also like to see an updated 55-300 to compete with the ultrasonic models of all it's competitors. I'm not a fan of the noisy screw drive focus.

Last edited by JeremyP; 05-26-2011 at 11:33 AM.