Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well Jeremy, maybe some others here will comment on your specific needs.....maybe look closer in the "K5 Post Your Photos" thread to see what others are getting with their K5.

Shooting Pentax will most likely always put you as an underdog in some areas like lenses, but I have not found it to be at all limiting, there are plenty of very excellent lenses by other Mfgs that will fill most any need. Canon and Nikon shooters use them all the time, some are preferred over the base Mfg lenses in fact, both for IQ and cost. I just don't find this to be a significant problem.
If you go back 4-5 years, it is amazing how many great Pentax mount lenses have been added to our list of choices...and more will come, many of them from Pentax. For example, I love my Bigma 50-500....but doubt I could afford it in a Pentax model even if they made it? Would it be better? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet the bank on it.

Bottom line is that the K5 delivers what no other Pentax ever has.....My Pro friend in Dallas has a D3x and two D700's...he is about to go on a six week vacation to Eurpope and on to Africa.....he is taking his family, it is a family pleasure trip, and the camera he is taking is the Pentax K5. He's tried it, loves it and its small size, and feels fully confident it will give him the photos of his trip he desires. I would not argue with him for a second.

Best Regards

05-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I use 3 lenses mainly- A Tamron 70-200/ 2.8 , a Tamron 90mm macro 2.8 and an older Sigma 28-70/2.8 They have been awesome with the camera. I also use from time to time a Sigma 135-400. Now all of these lenses except the 90mm have 77mm front glass, and that could help in low light. (That is my theory behind getting them) The K5 focuses quick and so far... I have not seen any FF or BF issues.

As far as the rough start, to be honest I would have been one of the 1st ones to own this camera, and I would have suffered through the sensor issue. Some of the other stuff I have read like the FF/BF, tungsten lighting issues, clunks from the camera, etc,ect,etc.. They may be valid, maybe I don't push the camera like they do. I have shot in Tungsten and low lights at the vineyards, and have had no problems.

I have a theory about the FF/BF and other focus problems- Could the problem be caused by using a UV or a clear filter ? Sounds silly maybe, but UV filter removes part of the spectrum that reaches the sensor. That combined with the setting of Tungsten, could cause enough of the spectrum to be confusing to the camera. When you here about these complaints, I do not see anything about it is happening with all of my lenses, or they do not say anything about filter, or so on.

Maybe some of these issues are operator induced. I test military computers for a living, and when new stuff comes out, sometimes it just does not do what we want. Does not make it broke, just have to figure out exactly why, and how to correct the issue. It surely does not make the operator a bad person, just something is different enough to wreak havoc for a while.

Bottom line, some of the issues could be the caused by the owner. Too many folks have not had the same focusing problems. And Pentax has been very good about getting firmware out to us, when they can confirm the issue. Last 2 firmware updates stated that they had addressed a focusing issue, (speed)
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by JeremyP Quote
What about autofocus tracking? How does the K-5 compare to the D7000 (I was actually looking at the D90 because it's a good price right now and compares fairly well with the K-x, and I've been happy with my K-x)? I do a lot of low light sports photography so that is important for me. I'm starting to think some of the shots I miss are because the Pentax autofocus isn't that accurate.
My own tests show that in low light the K-5 gives unreliable results focusing on subjects which are moving towards the camera, but good results on subjects moving away or at shallow angles to the camera. I was able to compare it to a Canon D550 in the same situations. With static subjects even in very low light the cameras were both excellent at autofocus. With moving subjects in dim light, the Canon was better at subjects moving toward the camera than K-5, and the reverse for subjects moving away from the camera. Tests were done with Canon's "AI-servo" mode vs the K-5 "APS-C" mode using firmware 1.03. Regardless of the results, the successful shots tended to look better when taken by the K-5 because of the low noise of the K-5. I can't compare it to the Nikon D7000, but it would take some severe problems in the autofocus of the K-5 for me to give up its terrific SR and low noise and lens compatibility and handling and high continuous rate and in-camera features. I get some of my best pictures of moving subjects using manual focus with the K-5, including some that would not look good with any other competitive camera. Below is an example - using manual focus of a fast moving subject. This shot required I go to ISO 6400, which would not have given good results on the Canon.

This shot: Pentax K-5, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro, Tokina 2X Teleconvertor, in macro mode 2X300mm=600mm, approx F/11, 1/1600s, 6400 ISO, one of a high speed burst, manual focus, TAv-AE, bright sunlight, hand held.

Last edited by Skymist; 05-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.
05-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #79
Inactive Account

What about autofocus tracking? How does the K-5 compare to the D7000 (I was actually looking at the D90 because it's a good price right now and compares fairly well with the K-x, and I've been happy with my K-x)? I do a lot of low light sports photography so that is important for me. I'm starting to think some of the shots I miss are because the Pentax autofocus isn't that accurate. I am an amature, but I still want my pictures to look good.

I really wish the K-5 didn't have the rough start it did. I'd have one already, but it has created doubt in my mind. I'm also not sure how much effort Pentax is putting into lens developement. Where is the first party 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 lenses? I'd also like to see an updated 55-300 to compete with the ultrasonic models of all it's competitors. I'm not a fan of the noisy screw drive focus.
FA43

DA*50-135

05-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn....look at that Hound go! Good thing he can't climb up here.......
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #81
Forum Member

Does anybody have any experience shooting indoor (low light) sports like basketball or hockey? I'm talking high school gyms and local arenas, not professional team ones. If anybody is able to compare the K-5 against competing brands, that would be great also.

I just want to make sure if I do buy the K-5, I'm making an informed decision and spending my money wisely. I have checked a lot of online reviews, and the K-5 does get good ratings, but none of the reviews I've read talk about shooting low light indoor sports.
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #82
Inactive Account

He can't climb but he can jump. Not as high as he use to though..

(K7 FA*85)

That's a rivalry that's been going on for a few years.

Mostly though, they just stay out of each others space.

(K5 FA*85)

and keep the formalities to a minimum.

05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anybody have any experience shooting indoor (low light) sports like basketball or hockey? I'm talking high school gyms and local arenas, not professional team ones. If anybody is able to compare the K-5 against competing brands, that would be great also.

I just want to make sure if I do buy the K-5, I'm making an informed decision and spending my money wisely. I have checked a lot of online reviews, and the K-5 does get good ratings, but none of the reviews I've read talk about shooting low light indoor sports.
Jeremy, if you plan to shoot mainly low light indoor sports, then I'd say go Nikon or Canon now as they will have the long, fast glass you'll eventually want. Of course, you'll have to get a second mortgage, but that's the best for those situations.

My experience with the K5 has been nothing short of outstanding, and I feel fully confident in getting any shot I want with the K5, including indoor sports. However, I suspect the "keeper rate" might be higher with Nikon or Canon, but you'll have to spend more than the K5 to get it. I'm not sure the D7000 will be significantly better, and the ISO performance of the D90 won't come close to the K5, so you'll either have to deal with noise or blur.

I personally have no doubts with my K5, but it sounds like you do. Might as well go see what the other side has now before you get in too deep. Maybe rent a body and a good 70-200/2.8 combo and see how they perform? You could spend a few hundred before spending a few thousand, and then you'd know for sure.

Here's a shot taken in a dark arena with a horse trotting along. Shot with the K5 and the DA*200 at f/4.0, 1/125s, ISO 1600. I had a few misses, but also plenty of hits. Nothing special about the shot, except for the absence of noise. (BTW, I know this isn't the same as indoor sports, but it's movement indoors at very low light.)

BTW, you might want to see this thread about the K7 vs the D300s from an outdoors sports shooter:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/145270-pentax-k-7-...view-sort.html

Last edited by rfortson; 05-27-2011 at 02:23 PM.
05-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #84
Forum Member

rfortson: Thanks for the link to that thread.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of staying with Pentax and upgrading to a K-5, or moving to another brand (mostly likely to a Nikon D90 because the prices are good right now). I see the move to a D90 as more of a sideways move from my K-x, whereas the K-5 would definitely be a move up. I just don't think I could justify the cost of moving from the K-x to a D7000, or a D300s. Especially because I'd have to buy all new lenses, which aren't cheap (definitely a con to switching systems).

I didn't start out looking for an upgrade to the K-x, or to change systems. I just wanted to add the battery grip for more comfortable portrait shooting.

Last edited by JeremyP; 05-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.
05-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #85
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is a major jump from the Kx, I just got back from Hueco State Park and took 150 shots, and deleted about 10, and some of those were duplicates. I broke down and used the polarizing filter today, and again the camera still amazes me!
Attached Images

05-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #86

Einstein effect.
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #87
Brooke Meyer

It tracks okay

7,000+ exposures since Feb., it tracks okay.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-31-2011 at 11:08 PM.
05-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #88
Brooke Meyer

Low Light, Indoors, Action

Works okay there too.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-31-2011 at 11:08 PM.
05-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #89

Handheld ISO 12800..

Not the best..but I got what I had in mind...K5 and 16-50 2.8 Da*.
Attached Images

05-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Time for a Squirrel! Squirrels just love the K5! Good light, low light, any light.....they know I will get a shot of them!

Hungry Mama!
[IMG] [/IMG]