Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #91

PF

The purple fringing is distracting.....

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Jeremy, if you plan to shoot mainly low light indoor sports, then I'd say go Nikon or Canon now as they will have the long, fast glass you'll eventually want. Of course, you'll have to get a second mortgage, but that's the best for those situations.

My experience with the K5 has been nothing short of outstanding, and I feel fully confident in getting any shot I want with the K5, including indoor sports. However, I suspect the "keeper rate" might be higher with Nikon or Canon, but you'll have to spend more than the K5 to get it. I'm not sure the D7000 will be significantly better, and the ISO performance of the D90 won't come close to the K5, so you'll either have to deal with noise or blur.

I personally have no doubts with my K5, but it sounds like you do. Might as well go see what the other side has now before you get in too deep. Maybe rent a body and a good 70-200/2.8 combo and see how they perform? You could spend a few hundred before spending a few thousand, and then you'd know for sure.

Here's a shot taken in a dark arena with a horse trotting along. Shot with the K5 and the DA*200 at f/4.0, 1/125s, ISO 1600. I had a few misses, but also plenty of hits. Nothing special about the shot, except for the absence of noise. (BTW, I know this isn't the same as indoor sports, but it's movement indoors at very low light.)

BTW, you might want to see this thread about the K7 vs the D300s from an outdoors sports shooter:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/145270-pentax-k-7-...view-sort.html

06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
The purple fringing is distracting.....
Ya think? Low light indoors against full sunlight back lit, that's what you'll get, regardless of the lens. The shot wasn't intended to show optical qualities, it was to show AF tracking.
06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Considering the shot, I bet some camera/lens combos would have had much worse PF. Most software have options to remove it. What is interesting about that shot, is, The subject of the horse and young lady look great, despite the light from behind. I have to think that it is a 77 segment metering working with that sensor. I bet some cameras would not done as well.
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #94
Forum Member

Well, I picked up a K-5 this weekend. The main reason why I wanted to get the K-5 was that I wanted a battery grip, and my K-x doesn't support one.

I was looking at the Nikon D90 and D7000, but in the end I couldn't justify the expense of changing systems.

Now I just have to get a D-BG4 grip. Not sure I'll be able to justify the OEM version when the 3rd party ones are 1/3 the price with two batteries.

06-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #95
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I got a 3rd party grip and I have had no problems with it at all. It sure does make it easier to hold the camera steady, and just seems to fit better in my hand.