Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why You Want the K5

It's a cloudy overcast morning, like today is here, you want to shoot some Squirrels (who doesn't?) and you know the light is too weak for your 50-500 Bigma to AF and you will need at least ISO 5,000+ to get enough speed to freeze a moving Squirrel.
Your K10D or K20D, might get you a shot...or not....but it will take a lot of processing to get anything really decent....if you get lucky.

A K5 shooter looks out, sees the same light conditions, and doesn't even think about slow AF or noisy high ISO...he just steps outside and fires away (at handsome Squirrels!). Processing....very minimal in these conditions, or perhaps none at all.

Now maybe you don't shoot Squirrels, or even like them? ( Are there really people that don't like Squirrels?)...but whatever your passion is, the K5 will make it much easier, more enjoyable, and less hassle to process. Instead of wondering if you will get a shot, you will step out in the world with the confidence that you will.

K5+ Bigma 50-500 @ 270mm F8 1/160 ISO 6400 AWB
[IMG] [/IMG]

K5+ Bigma 50-500 @ 420mm F8 1/160 ISO 5000 AWB
What the K5 will not do is keep you from cutting off the Squirrels feet......but I think Pentax is working on it!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! & if you have been on the fence over the K5, get off and get one at your earliest opportunity. They do carry the Otis Guarantee, remember?

05-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

Well said!...I love your squirrel posts!
05-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well said, Rupert, k-5 is on my CBA list... once the warranty on my k-7 is up and when I will be using it as a backup camera.

Last edited by aleonx3; 05-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually really like squirrel. Corn fed squirrel is really tender and grills up really well with vegetables.

05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would change the title from "why I want a K5" to "Why I got a K5" I a loving mine big time! I do have a quesiton though, Do you shoot these guys inJPEG or RAW? And what software do you use to process? Thanks sir.

Oh and Sandy says hi.

05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I actually really like squirrel. Corn fed squirrel is really tender and grills up really well with vegetables.
It doesn't always work out ...like this guy found out.....
Man Trying To 'Smoke Out' Squirrels Sets His Townhouse On Fire

Squirrels cause over 20K house fires in the US alone each year.....mostly homes of Squirrel Lovers of your nature, so Otis claims!

Best Regards & Happy Grilling!
05-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
I would change the title from "why I want a K5" to "Why I got a K5" I a loving mine big time! I do have a quesiton though, Do you shoot these guys inJPEG or RAW? And what software do you use to process? Thanks sir.

Oh and Sandy says hi.

Thanks, they are fun to shoot and keep you in practice for other subjects.....I do sometimes shoot other things! Love girls too!

I shoot Raw+ Jpeg on most everything. Sometimes I use the Raw, sometimes just the Jpeg. I prefer Silkypix, but most Squirrels are converted using Adobe Raw inside Elements,...it is quick but does not render colors as well as Silkypix or the Pentax Software, which is also Silkypix.
I tried Lightroom, but did not like the layout at all.
Best Regards!

BTW- Handsome Squirrel, well shot! Thanks for posting!

05-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like squirrels too and not in a cooking pot. I know you can eat them, sure, but like with the local rabbits it's just a not going to happen thing for me. I make a point of talking to and giving raw nuts to the squirrels I meet actually. I usually have some in a pocket in my purse handy because I know that locally the nut trees are few and far between these days and that they need a bit of help that way sometimes.

I know that squirrels can be a menace. We've had issues here once or twice with them up on a roof or up on wires doing things that they shouldn't but I still like them and I won't have them hurt in any way if I can help it.

Actually squirrels are fun to shoot, with a camera, and I like doing it too. I always enjoy Rupert's posts for that reason. It's clear to see he likes the little animals and that they like him too. That's nice.
05-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like squirrels too and not in a cooking pot. I know you can eat them, sure, but like with the local rabbits it's just a not going to happen thing for me. I make a point of talking to and giving raw nuts to the squirrels I meet actually. I usually have some in a pocket in my purse handy because I know that locally the nut trees are few and far between these days and that they need a bit of help that way sometimes.

I know that squirrels can be a menace. We've had issues here once or twice with them up on a roof or up on wires doing things that they shouldn't but I still like them and I won't have them hurt in any way if I can help it.

Actually squirrels are fun to shoot, with a camera, and I like doing it too. I always enjoy Rupert's posts for that reason. It's clear to see he likes the little animals and that they like him too. That's nice.
Thanks, and Squirrels appreciate those like you! As long as they have food, they cause little problems. They have tons of food here!

The K5 has brought new life to my wildlife shooting, the extra speed makes all the difference, as I had hoped it would. Combined with the many other great features and the compact size, it should satisfy most any wildlife shooter.
Best Regards!
05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As you are into squirrels here is one I took with the K-5 and 55-300mm.

05-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Mike that is a cool picture, I love that pose!!!
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool pics at high ISO - yes, you did make your point about the K-5
05-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
As you are into squirrels here is one I took with the K-5 and 55-300mm.
That squirrel's ears are crazy! Are they all like that in the UK?
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 101589dpm Quote
That squirrel's ears are crazy! Are they all like that in the UK?
I took it while in Spain but I think all Spanish squirrels are.
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Otis is a cool dude. I agree about the K-5 ISO being amazing. I captured this Great Blue Heron last evening just before sunset while it was preening with the DA*300/4, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO25600. Original in PEF. No NR other than what the K-5 does automatically at high ISO. The expected noise is there but fits with the long tradition of Pentax favouring definition over smoothness at high ISO.

Jack
Attached Images