Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Boxedlight (Jim Radcliffe) User Review

He states he is a photographer, not a professional reviewer and seems to really be happy with his K5...

Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

05-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Didn't read it yet, but Jim is at least part of the reason (he and Steve Huff) I bought a K-5.
05-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It's a good read an I like his style.
05-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I like the way it's written for photographers and not for magazine readers.

07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Unfortunately after the recent updates to that review it looks like the honeymoon is over. Focus point size issue, focus speed, lens QC and now I notice he's posted that his K-5 has the dreaded shutter issue
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think he is in the forums?
07-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The K-5 is a great camera when it works?
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone seen the weather in N Central Texas for the last six weeks? Hovering around 105 F+most every day.Today it was 108.9 and I took my K5 with me for lunch at the SAK...left it in my truck for an hour...no shutter problems afterward. I am not sure how long it takes to cause this, but I will keep an eye on it. It should show up soon here if it is heat related.....it damn sure shows up on me when I spend an hour in the heat.

I thought the article/blog was a good read. It is a great camera....I wish it had the same record for dependability as the K20D...what a workhorse that camera has been...and still is! I'm still looking for the first problem on my K20D....haven't found a one after three years!

Best Regards & Thanks for posting...the guy has some nice shots too!

07-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You know Rupert. If it happens in heat then yours should be affected for sure. Humm.. Damn I hope they fix mine.. I really miss it.
07-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for this - I didn't see it back in June!

Curious, is his May 22 'answer' to his FA 77 problems the 'answer' to a lot of peoples low-light issues as a whole ? I imagine when looking in a low-light situation through the viewfinder it can be easy to be not quite centered where you think you are ? I guess it also goes a long way to explaining why LV gets it 'more right' given the divergence through focus screen vs 'in-software' straight off of the CCD...

QuoteQuote:
May 22, 2011 Answer to the above issue. Turns out this is not a problem with the FA 77 but with the AF system of the K5. AF Focus boxes/areas are apparently larger than they appear in the K5 viewfinder. Focus lock was proably on something other than the frog. Live View focus uses a different focus method which resulted in much slower but more accurate focus. I don't like it but that's the way the camera works. I knew I would find something I didn't like about the K5. The size of a focus box should be fully evident in the viewfinder. It's easy to understand how this "feature" of the K5 could become a point of frustration as it did for me. Now that I am aware of this feature I can work around it.
If thats all it is - an evening learning what the 'actual' boundaries on the AF Indicators in the VF should 'solve', or at least off-set, the issue ? Doesn't help with you actually remembering 'where' to place them at the time - but it at least seems something you should be able to identify and consistently work around with little trouble ?

(No, don't own one yet - I'm increasingly trying to convince myself I dont need one and that I'd probably end up with a K-5 that had, ahem, 'character'... But if this knocks out the one 'operational' flaw that I see often.. then besides rolling the dice on the shutter issue... I'm there I think....)
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #11

Honeymoon is not over... just a spat...

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Unfortunately after the recent updates to that review it looks like the honeymoon is over. Focus point size issue, focus speed, lens QC and now I notice he's posted that his K-5 has the dreaded shutter issue
Glad you guys enjoyed what I have written.. and I do love the K5. As with any camera you have to get used to it.. that was the main issue with the focus confirmation boxes.. I did not realize the boxes were bigger than the displayed in the camera.

The "Runaway Shutter Issue" is something entirely different and very irritating when you are trying to shoot. This issue has not affected the IQ but it can in no way be harmless.. sometimes those actuations really sound "bad" and that just can't be good... but let's face it.. it shouldn't be happening.. period.

I think the first step to soothing the ruffled feathers of K5 users who are experiencing this issue is for Pentax to acknowledge it exists.. then begin trying to solve the problem.
07-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's great to see you on this forum Jim, even if the circumstances aren't ideal. I really enjoyed your review and photos, and hope your K-5 issue can get resolved.
07-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #13

It's great to see you on this forum Jim, even if the circumstances aren't ideal. I really enjoyed your review and photos, and hope your K-5 issue can get resolved.
I've browsed this forum a number of times but thought it best to wait until I was an actual Pentax user before posting.

I hope there is a fix soon, hopefully firmware... but I doubt it.. I have a trip to San Francisco coming up and I wanted to take all my Pentax gear but now I may have to pack the GH2 and MFT gear as a backup in case the K5 fails.

I hate lugging two cameras around!

I do not want to rush to send my K5 in for "repair" especially when the service people seem to not have heard of this issue. Going for weeks without the camera is not something I want to do until I know they know how to fix the issue. At this time they apparently have no idea.
07-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I know it's not a great option, but 2nd hand K-7's are selling for under $600 now, if you got one then at least if your K-5 goes down you'd have a camera that can use the same glass and is very capable up to ~ISO800. I'd imagine K-7 is about on par with current m4/3 for noise, perhaps even slightly better?

I've got a K-5 sitting at home waiting to be unboxed, but I have no intention of selling my K-x which will serve as backup...
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #15

I know it's not a great option, but 2nd hand K-7's are selling for under $600 now, if you got one then at least if your K-5 goes down you'd have a camera that can use the same glass and is very capable up to ~ISO800. I'd imagine K-7 is about on par with current m4/3 for noise, perhaps even slightly better?

I've got a K-5 sitting at home waiting to be unboxed, but I have no intention of selling my K-x which will serve as backup...
No, I'll stick with the GH2. I bought it before the K5 and ended up buying the K5 because the GH2 did not arrive in time for a trip to New Orleans... did not want to carry the 5D and L glass so the K5 won out over both and I am glad it did.

The GH2 deserves to get a chance to see the light of day so if the K5 dies on me I will use the GH2.