Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
A good deal is a two-sided coin. Price ain't the only factor.
Exactly.

I love a good deal as much as the next guy (perhaps even more than the next guy), but a good deal isn't just about price, especially when it comes to buying a used body.

Now, for full disclosure, I bought a used K-5 body a few months back at a pretty good price (around $1100 when new bodies were still about $1450). However, it was from a reputable used camera store from which I had bought over a dozens things from in the past. They also have a 100% money back refund policy should there be any issues. So while there was an element of risk to my decision to buy a used K-5, the risk was substantially less than the situation you've described.

As it turns out, the K-5 I ended up with was a fully inspected (by Pentax) replacement for a previous body that had issues. I guess while the original owner was waiting for his replacement from Pentax, he decided to switch systems and then traded in the replacement K-5 for other gear. I got somewhat lucky the way it all worked out, but I am still accepting some level of risk as I am not covered under any kind of warranty right now

05-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Ok he wrote me back and the serial number is 4001507. I spoke to Pentax and they said you need a proof of purchase. If there's no proof of purchase you have to pay for the fix. I tried calling the repair center but they aren't open yet. I wonder what it costs for the cleaning.
I don't suppose you asked your local law enforcement folks to do a NCIC (National Crime Information Center) check on that serial number? In another life, I'd be willing to do that if the request checked out as legitimate.
05-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can get it repaired, and the camera should be under warranty still, right?
Warranties only apply to original owners. Many people think used items retain the warranty - especially sellers in the marketplace...

However, since it is a big known defect and not really possibly-caused-by-the-user, they may elect to fix it anyway.