Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax allready acknowledeged the stain to the world, so I think they have to fix it now.

05-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does it really matter if the fake camera has fake stains or not? I'm sure fake Pentax will fix it for free, just take it in to any of their fake service centers!
05-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw this listing on ebay and I considered buying it. I did have concerns about the sensor stain problem. I also was concerned that there was no body cap and dust and other junk might have gotten on the sensor. I was also concerned that the seller had only two feedbacks, both for being a buyer. But my primary concern was that the camera was probably stolen. Being sold at a price so far below market value, having no original packaging or body cap, and being sold by someone with no other camera-related sales or purchases, this camera was likely not purchased by the seller.

I could be wrong. I have no way of knowing. But that is why I didn't buy it. Just my reasoning and my choice. I do not judge crossover37, and I certainly hope that it turns out to be a great purchase for him.
05-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

What if it was sold as refurb ?

What if this K-5 was sold as a refurb ?

Then what ?

Ebay Seller has "no returns" policy.

Pentax, Etc, in USA marketplace do not transfer factory warranties to 2nd owner, third owner, ...

I've yet to buy anyone's used Dslr. I DO worry about poopy fingers, water damage, impact damage, D.O.A., etc...

I don't use used 3D glasses due to a stunning report about poopy fingers contaminating the "sterile" glasses. (((100%))) of these used but "sterilized" for re-use 3D glasses tested cultured up all kinds of actual crap. YUCK!

$950 seems like alot, its actually more money than Pentax sells their K-5 to their team of Pentax bloggers.

Blogger Price Pentax K-5 is what now, $880 brand new with 1 yr warranty ?

Add $20 and get three years C.R.I.S. coverage and a cleaning too, for original K-5 buyers.

I hope it works out for the OP as getting screwed on Ebay is no fun. Been there done that, thus why I'd have passed on OP's ebay purchase. But do remember, your zero feedback seller sold you this mystery K-5, not ebay.

Pentax USA warranties are valid for original owner and K-5 were plagued by sensor problems, thus why you asked.

Heck !

I still recall Yvon B writing about getting his Pentax K-7 soaked by human poopy water sprayed, reused in a vegatable field...

The surprised farmer pointed out to Yvon and his camera and lenses and clothes were all soaked in lightly processed human water waste, just cleaned up some for farming. Not for drinking !

YUCK !!!

Seriously. Thats just gross.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

I don't agree with you here. If in fact the body has an issue as a result of a manufacturing defect (in other words, having nothing to do with the user of the body), then I don't personally see why Pentax shouldn't ethically be responsible for fixing it regardless of who has owned the body. That said, I don't know if they are legally required to, and as a buyer of a used body that would be my primary concern.

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-13-2011 at 07:41 AM.
05-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also saw the listing while it's still open. I sent seller a message asking for serial number but didn't get a reply. I also noticed it is a re-listing. Then, I decided to pass on it.
05-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
What's this about Pentax Bloggers? How does one become a Pentax Blogger? I'd love to get my poopy fingers on that deal!
05-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
What if this K-5 was sold as a refurb ?

Then what ?

Ebay Seller has "no returns" policy.

Pentax, Etc, in USA marketplace do no give warranties to 2nd owner, third owner, ...

I've yet to buy anyone's used Dslr. I DO worry about poopy fingers, water damage, impact damage, etc...

I don't use used 3D glasses due to a stunning report about poopy fingers contaminating the "sterile" glasses. 100% of these used but sterilized for re-use 3D glasses tested cultured up all kinds of actual crap. YUCK!

$950 seems like alot, its actually more money than Pentax sells their K-5 to their team of Pentax bloggers.

Add $20 and get three years C.R.I.S. coverage and a cleaning too.

I hope it works out for you, getting screwed on Ebay is no fun. But remember the zero feedback seller sold you this mystery K-5, not ebay.
Want to take a deep breath now?

First of all, even if the OP ends up buying the item and it turns out to a scam, he'll get his money back from paypal/ebay, of that there is no question. It will be a slight pain in his ass, but he won't get screwed in the end.

Second, what does the "Pentax Bloggers" price of a K-5 have to do with anything? Unless those bodies are being sold to the public, which they're not, then the OP doesn't have that option and so the price is irrelevant.

Finally, I don't disagree with you that buying a used body is a lot different than buying a used lens in terms of the potential pitfalls. I personally prefer new bodies to used one as well. That said, I bought my son a used K200D. I figured he was going to get it all "poopy fingered" anyway, no sense in starting clean

05-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Others have reported that Pentax USA will do warranty work on cameras purchased in the US without regard to the authorization status of the dealer.

The Web site states that the warranty is available for any camera "originally distributed by PENTAX Imaging Company ..." at the Golden, Colorado address.

It's not clear that all cameras imported through Pentax USA are eventually sold at retail by a dealer that's allowed to call itself "factory-authorized". There may be Pentax dealers that just don't want to accept all Pentax terms to earn that label. That seems to be the case given how few authorized dealers there are.

The Web site does not say anything about transfer of the original one-year warranty but it does bar the transfer of the extended warranty.

Warranty repair should require a copy of the sales receipt from a US dealer but perhaps Pentax USA, at some point, allowed CRIS to waive that requirement. Or someone just got lucky.

Square Trade or not, I would not touch this deal with a barge pole. Looks very suspicious and I have no interest in turning my K-5 over to law enforcement after a warrant is served on chummy's records and computer gear.
05-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

Square Trade or not, I would not touch this deal with a barge pole. Looks very suspicious and I have no interest in turning my K-5 over to law enforcement after a warrant is served on chummy's records and computer gear.
I think we're all in full agreement that this "deal" should be avoided for a whole host of reasons
05-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok he wrote me back and the serial number is 4001507. I spoke to Pentax and they said you need a proof of purchase. If there's no proof of purchase you have to pay for the fix. I tried calling the repair center but they aren't open yet. I wonder what it costs for the cleaning.
05-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Ok he wrote me back and the serial number is 4001507. I spoke to Pentax and they said you need a proof of purchase. If there's no proof of purchase you have to pay for the fix. I tried calling the repair center but they aren't open yet. I wonder what it costs for the cleaning.
If there is a sensor stain, the fix is not a cleaning, but rather a sensor replacement. The cost of a new sensor would be very high, possibly on the order of half the price of a new body.

As other have pointed out, I would still be hesitant to send this guy any money at all as something just doesn't seem right.
05-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that this question is going to come up time and again. I think it would be useful to place this thread as a sticky in the K5 forum.

I don't think there are many dslr's out there whose early manufactured bodies were in such jeopardy for having a faulty sensor. Noone (i think) on this forum even knows what it would cost to repair a body by replacing a sensor. So far, all these repairs on the K5 have been covered under the pentax warranty. The sensor, especially the K5's sensor is the most expensive part on the body, and its replacement is not a cheap repair. I am just waiting for the post from the first person who has to replace a K5 or D7000 sensor out of their own pocket (a new meaning for the phrase sticker shock)
The only clue I would be able to offer as to the cost, is a friend of mine had to have the sensor on his Canon d20 replaced. Scratched the AA filter during cleaning. It cost him over $400.

I don't know if they are worthwhile but if it's a real concern you can get a square trade warranty on most items on ebay. I know I get an email from them with just about every bit of camera equipment I buy offering the warranty.

05-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
If there is a sensor stain, the fix is not a cleaning, but rather a sensor replacement. The cost of a new sensor would be very high, possibly on the order of half the price of a new body.

As other have pointed out, I would still be hesitant to send this guy any money at all as something just doesn't seem right.
I completely agree. Forgive me here, crossover, but isn't this at least the second dubious deal that you've entered into and then nervously asked for advice about? Just sayin'.
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I completely agree. Forgive me here, crossover, but isn't this at least the second dubious deal that you've entered into and then nervously asked for advice about? Just sayin'.
haha yup, I like to get good deals. I'm not gonna pay for it though, if I can't get it fixed for free then forget it. I'll just keep the K5 i got from BH yesterday for $1340
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
haha yup, I like to get good deals. I'm not gonna pay for it though, if I can't get it fixed for free then forget it. I'll just keep the K5 i got from BH yesterday for $1340
A good deal is a two-sided coin. Price ain't the only factor.