Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got a K5 for $950! Can't believe it! Can I get the sensor stain fixed?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If I'm not the original owner can I still get the sensor stain issue repaired? I'm located in the U.S. Here's the link below. I asked for the serial number to see if it has the stained sensor.

Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR Camera (Body only) | eBay

05-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
If I'm not the original owner can I still get the sensor stain issue repaired? I'm located in the U.S. Here's the link below. I asked for the serial number to see if it has the stained sensor.

Not sure to be honest. I almost bought it the first time it was listed 6 days ago (see this link). I wonder if someone bought it, founds stains/issues and returned it. Not trying to be a pessimist here, but the fact that it sold 6 days ago and then again today would make me wonder.
05-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oh really? Ahh, that sucks...nobody would return the K5 after buying it for $950 unless there was a major issue. So you can't get the stain issue fixed from Pentax?
05-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh really? Ahh, that sucks...nobody would return the K5 after buying it for $950 unless there was a major issue. So you can't get the stain issue fixed from Pentax?
Well, I have no idea if it was returned or if it canceled due non-payment or something else. The first time it was bought with buy-it-now, which typically means you have to pay for it right away, minimizing the chance that the transaction was canceled due to non-payment. Plus, if it was non-payment, it likely wouldn't take 6 days to relist. That's why I was leaning towards paid for, shipped, returned, relisted. That fits the 6 day timeline a little better IMO. Anyway, I suppose you could ask the seller and see what he says.

Regarding the stain issue getting fixed without proof of purchase, I really don't have an answer for you on that one. Given the fact that Pentax admitted there was an issue on many of the bodies, there's at least some chance you could get it fixed for free. If this were just a random issue that needed to be fixed under warranty, I think you'd have less of a chance as the second owner without a receipt. I would also throughly check the body out when you get it to be sure there aren't any other issues, in addition to checking for stains.

05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get it repaired, and the camera should be under warranty still, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can get it repaired, and the camera should be under warranty still, right?
Without the original sales receipt showing that it was purchased from an authorized dealer, it might be an uphill battle trying to get warranty work done. Not saying they won't, just pointing out that it's not a sure thing you can bank on.
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think I have 3 days to pay. It didn't ask me for immediate payment.

What sucks is I got my K5 today from BH for $1340 and I'd have to shell out $40 to ship it back with insurance if I wanted to keep the one I bought for $950. It if has a stain issue and I can't get it fixed then that would cost more money which is why I wanted to see if it would be covered.

05-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that this question is going to come up time and again. I think it would be useful to place this thread as a sticky in the K5 forum.

I don't think there are many dslr's out there whose early manufactured bodies were in such jeopardy for having a faulty sensor. Noone (i think) on this forum even knows what it would cost to repair a body by replacing a sensor. So far, all these repairs on the K5 have been covered under the pentax warranty. The sensor, especially the K5's sensor is the most expensive part on the body, and its replacement is not a cheap repair. I am just waiting for the post from the first person who has to replace a K5 or D7000 sensor out of their own pocket (a new meaning for the phrase sticker shock)
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since it is from an ebay seller, you might want to see if you can get a Square Trade Warranty on it. Go to their website and request a quote. The will ask you for the item # which is below the seller information. It might be worth a shot. Even if they would only give you a one year term, it would be long enough to discover any problems.
05-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Why dont you just wait for your K-5 to arrive because I dont think it actually will given the seller has a feedback rating of two and that is far too cheap!

I also cant believe no one else has pointed out that this is almost certainly not a legit sale and your just going to lose your money.

Then if it does arrive thank your lucky stars it was not a con and just leave the stain issue which does not effect your images in any real way. (call them your lucky stains!)
05-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #11

Asking for the serial number would have been a good idea. I am a believer in the phrase " If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

The seller has a very low feedback from a while ago. To me it has the feel that it might be a hijacked account ie scam especially as there was the same listing a short while ago. He says it's new but no box etc so there is the possibility it'd stolen.

Maybe, I'm paranoid but it doesn't sit right with me.

Kim

05-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #12
Banned

I think I have 3 days to pay. It didn't ask me for immediate payment.

What sucks is I got my K5 today from BH for $1340 and I'd have to shell out $40 to ship it back with insurance if I wanted to keep the one I bought for $950. It if has a stain issue and I can't get it fixed then that would cost more money which is why I wanted to see if it would be covered.
Well maybe it is a good thing to make discisions in your life and live on with them. Never look in a webshop if you had the greatest deal after purchase, this only will make you unhappy.
05-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #13

CRIS repaired my sensor without any proof of purchase. You might email them and ask.
05-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

seller sold 2 K-5 and two D7000 in past two weeks

This seller sold Two K-5 and Two D7000 in past two weeks, total of almost $4,000 into their Paypal account.

I'm pretty selective who I buy from on ebay.

I would have passed on this opportunity to loose $950.

Any clue if the first owner sent it in for warranty work ?

Any clue if this owner sent it in for warranty work ??

Its obvious to me the seller is not the first buyer, they are not the original owner of this K-5.

Why should Pentax USA cover the costs to repair this third owner K-5 ???

If your $950 K-5 needs repair then assume it will cost you, not Pentax.

Pentax USA does read this forum, and this seller's ad clearly states "No Returns"

Good Luck !

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.
05-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
This seller sold Two K-5 and Two D7000 in past two weeks, total of almost $4,000 into their Paypal account.

I'm pretty selective who I buy from on ebay.

I would have passed on this opportunity to loose $950.
I agree with you, which is why I passed on this auction when I first saw it on May 6th

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Why should Pentax USA cover the costs to repair this third owner K-5 ???
I don't agree with you here. If in fact the body has an issue as a result of a manufacturing defect (in other words, having nothing to do with the user of the body), then I don't personally see why Pentax shouldn't ethically be responsible for fixing it regardless of who has owned the body. That said, I don't know if they are legally required to, and as a buyer of a used body that would be my primary concern.

Last edited by dgaies; 05-13-2011 at 06:58 AM.