Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Menus are near instant, never a slow moment. Yes, the photo display on the LCD is slow after a shot, and I have not explored finding out why....after it does appear, all the photos are available as fast as they were on my K20D.

Given the fact that the K5 is magnificent in most every area, this is nothing of concern to me. Anyhow, I hear premature evaluation is not a good thing.......there are ads all over the internet trying to sell products and techniques to prevent it. No problem on my K5!
Best Regards!

05-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyhow, I hear premature evaluation is not a good thing.......there are ads all over the internet trying to sell products and techniques to prevent it.
I also hear if it lasts more than four hours, you should call your doctor
05-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I also hear if it lasts more than four hours, you should call your doctor
I've heard that too, but at my age, I think it would be time to call for a Giant Party!

Regards!
05-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My menus are near-instant too, as long as I haven't just been taking pictures. If you've got images in the buffer that the camera is trying to flush, you pretty much have to wait most of it out (was doing some continuous shooting the other day and with maybe 15 images in the buffer I could not switch to bracketing with the Fx button--it just ignored my request until it had flushed most of the buffer, by which time it was too late). That does annoy me quite a bit, especially when trying to review images right after having taken a few in rapid sucession. If you have more that a few shots in the buffer, it ignores all those key-presses. Really it's my biggest complaint about the K-5 (which is a good thing in itself!).

05-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
My menus are near-instant too, as long as I haven't just been taking pictures. If you've got images in the buffer that the camera is trying to flush, you pretty much have to wait most of it out (was doing some continuous shooting the other day and with maybe 15 images in the buffer I could not switch to bracketing with the Fx button--it just ignored my request until it had flushed most of the buffer, by which time it was too late). That does annoy me quite a bit, especially when trying to review images right after having taken a few in rapid sucession. If you have more that a few shots in the buffer, it ignores all those key-presses. Really it's my biggest complaint about the K-5 (which is a good thing in itself!).
That could be it.

I've checked mine again, and pretty much any menu or function press is instantaneous if I'm not waiting on a picture. Even reviewing pictures is as fast as previous.

To the OP, have you updated firmware? I wonder if it didn't "take" properly? I'm just guessing as I can't think of any technical reason why your menus should always be slow.
05-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Dear Mr Rupert,

We have a new camera, let's call it the K5, and it will give you a Squirrel shot half decent on a cloudy dark overcast morning at ISO 12,800. There is one little problem...after you take that photo it will be a few seconds before you can view the image on the LCD.

Should we send this camera to you now, or would you prefer to wait a year or two until we improve the LCD viewing speed? We have enclosed a sample to help with your determintation.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards
Pentax

SEND THE DAMN CAMERA!
Best Regards
Rupert
05-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
This is the useless advice i see a lot as response to unhappy users, in different forms (use manual whatever, remove filters, etc.).

The camera is what it is, and it runs at the speed that it runs at.
Sometimes the best advice is to learn to live within the limitations of the equipment.
As far as the OPs concers go, if one has turned off in camera image corrections and finds the camera slow, then living with it is the only solution if he or she is going to keep the camera.
The alternative is to sell it and go with a different brand, and put up with a whole different set of problems.

05-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The camera is what it is, and it runs at the speed that it runs at.
Sometimes the best advice is to learn to live within the limitations of the equipment.
As far as the OPs concers go, if one has turned off in camera image corrections and finds the camera slow, then living with it is the only solution if he or she is going to keep the camera.
The alternative is to sell it and go with a different brand, and put up with a whole different set of problems.
No, the solution is to sell the camera and get a film camera. After a little time with that, image review on the K-5 will seem unbelievably snappy
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #24

Original Poster
I took your advice and got an old Instant Polaroid. Everything is working fine now.

Speedy as ever.

However I have a new problem now.

My 32GB SD card used to hold 4,000 photos, and now my Instant Polaroid film cartridges only hold 10 photos!

More advice? Maybe there is a Polaroid Forums I should now switch to?

Also what do I do with my now unneeded Pentax lenses? I guess I just have to throw out my FA* 28-70, FA* 80-200, FA* 77mm, FA* 43mm, FA* 31mm, A 50mm 1.2, and so on. They're just useless now that I switched to the faster Polaroid system!
05-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I took your advice and got an old Instant Polaroid. Everything is working fine now.

My 32GB SD card used to hold 4,000 photos, and now my Instant Polaroid film cartridges only hold 10 photos!

More advice? Maybe there is a Polaroid Forums I should now switch to?
There is a Dutch forum for employees of the polaroid factory. Forum oud Polaroid Medewerkers. :: Index maybe they will take you in.

Put that nice glass in a box I'll pm you my homeadress