Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #1

Slow K-5 menu response

I'm sure this has been asked and talked about many times before... but I can't find the threads.

I have a K-5.... love it... but the menus and displays, etc are sooooo SLOW!

I had a K20D and a K-7 and they were fine... my K-5 is slow as **** when it comes to the menu and displaying photos, etc...
also it does not auto rotate my photos on the LCD.

Any advice?

Firmware is 1.03

05-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Try to live with it!
05-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Try to live with it!
This is the useless advice i see a lot as response to unhappy users, in different forms (use manual whatever, remove filters, etc.).

I don't know for sure, but maybe for photo display try with another card, see if things improve. If not and is a big inconvenience, try a D7000 (should be similar camera from what i read, no real experience with any of these) and if is better sell the K-5 and get that.

As for me, there are things i like and things i don't about my K-X. To solve those i personally don't like, in the future, when I'll feel the need to upgrade I will seriously consider and test other manufacturer's cameras as primary option. I don't feel a "bond" with Pentax. They sell cameras for a profit not charity, if i feel i don't get the value i paid for i just buy another product. So far the shortcomings i found are not related mostly to the camera itself, but to availability factor and possibility to try stuff (both new and used) , and last but not least price.
05-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Try checking out the settings on the camera. Lens abberation correction, for example, requires internal processing before the shot is shown on the LCD. Could be you have one or more of these functions switched on?

05-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
mine is not slow, its the same as my k20d and k-x were from memory... so... try a new sd card in yours to see if that is holding it up otherwise something is wrong i think.
05-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
This is the useless advice i see a lot as response to unhappy users, in different forms (use manual whatever, remove filters, etc.).
The K-7/K-5 and K-x/K-r and 645D are al having the PRIME II processor on board. The main difference between 645D/K-5 and the others are the 645D/K-5 are working with a 14-bit picture framing instead of 12-bit, besides having more pixels to work with. This is slowing down the camera whichever way you want to look at it.

Well I did test the cards, and as far as getting the fastest cards the SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s cards are fast enough for K-5. There is no extra milage to win on the new SanDisk Pro 45MB/s UHS-I cards.

If it comes to writing, I assume that lenscorrection is set off. If it is about reviewing pictures from the card in camera, there is no speeding up anymore. When I use lenscorrections to produce out of the camera JPG, I only do this with DA14mm and DA21mm, I make RAW - DNG with all setting to OFF. At home I make a selection of pictures and then develop them into jpg with lenscorrections. Did this for some events https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20195454/Son%20-%20optocht/K5D_0112A.jpg, made a selection of 100 pictures (wich is the max to select and develop at once) and set the camera to work. Drink some coffee because this procedure takes about 13 minutes, but it is not interfering with my working in taking pictures.

Next camera should have a new CPU but for now we have to deal with the PRIME II processor that is in our K-5. Is it fast? - NO; Is it slow? - depends on your working methods (sometimes it is deadslow).

Does it make me angry? - Yes from time to time it does. I bought a ExpoDisc to have the possbility to change from RAW to taking Jpg just to speed things up when shooting. I changed to a two camera set to have just the option to just pick up my second K-5 (with a different lens).

Does it interfere me in taking good pictures? - No it didn't, but you do have to work around it. It is as working with a flashsystem - you have to know when it is ready to use.

If you want to change brands - just do that but don't come and wine here.

And now I'm coming back to my advise: Learn to live with it.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-14-2011 at 04:37 AM.
05-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I had a K20D and a K-7 and they were fine... my K-5 is slow as **** when it comes to the menu and displaying photos, etc...
also it does not auto rotate my photos on the LCD.
The K-5 is bit slower to display shots, no question about that as I recall. I've always assumed it has to do with the larger 14-bit files.

As for the change in auto-rotate, it was the very first thing I noticed and complained about back in September whenI got my first K-5 It appears, for whatever reason, Pentax removed this feature when they went from the K-7 to the K-5. I was hoping it would come back in one of the subsequent firmware releases, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Which, for better or worse, brings us back to:
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And now I'm coming back to my advise: Learn to live with it.

05-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote

I don't know for sure, but maybe for photo display try with another card, see if things improve. If not and is a big inconvenience, try a D7000 (should be similar camera from what i read, no real experience with any of these) and if is better sell the K-5 and get that.

As for me, there are things i like and things i don't about my K-X. To solve those i personally don't like, in the future, when I'll feel the need to upgrade I will seriously consider and test other manufacturer's cameras as primary option. I don't feel a "bond" with Pentax. They sell cameras for a profit not charity, if i feel i don't get the value i paid for i just buy another product. So far the shortcomings i found are not related mostly to the camera itself, but to availability factor and possibility to try stuff (both new and used) , and last but not least price.
RE: StepOne's Post. I know that I don't know you. And mean no disrespect. But I was just wondering if you are a representative from another Camera manufacturer? As I know that Public Relations people are now paid to post bad comments about competitors products in forums like these. Just wondering, as it is a Pentax forum, and you apparently don't like Pentax. Oh, and by the way. All companies are driven by profit. All of them. If they were driven by charity as you have posted, everything would be free.
05-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't know. My K5 menus are pretty much instantaneous. I just checked and mine is just as quick as my K20D. The only way it could be faster is if it read my mind.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have some lens correction or digital filters turned on? How are you set up?
05-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I don't know. My K5 menus are pretty much instantaneous. I just checked and mine is just as quick as my K20D. The only way it could be faster is if it read my mind.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have some lens correction or digital filters turned on? How are you set up?
I have Transcend brand, Class 10, 16 and 32 GB cards.

I have the normal settings on. (Yes, I know when I use a digital filter it takes time and says "processing.")

But I find even going through the menu and option settings there is a few seconds delay.

And then when viewing and deleting pictures, there is a longer delay of a few seconds (JPGs are slow to show, and of course RAW is slower... I understand with RAW).

As in... I push a button for an option, and 1-5 seconds or more later, the highlighter moves to that option.

It is obviously the camera on all levels. I notices it instantly from brand new and first turned on.

I was just wondering if Pentax made a fix, and if everyone is having this slowness.

It's not just displaying photos that is slow... but the menu options as well! Depending on the menu it's 1-3 seconds behind my button push... which you would think menus should be instantaneous.

I like my K-5 more than K-7, but it seems the slow menus and display is a common fault in the K-5? And no fix or real explanation yet?
05-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like my K-5 more than K-7, but it seems the slow menus and display is a common fault in the K-5? And no fix or real explanation yet?
It sounds like there might be an issue with your K-5 then. My K-5 might take an extra fraction of a second to display an image after capture (as compared to my K-7), but I've had no issues with slow menus as you've described.
05-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

As in... I push a button for an option, and 1-5 seconds or more later, the highlighter moves to that option.
Then something is wrong with that camera. I have no noticeable delay surfing the menus.
05-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It sounds like there might be an issue with your K-5 then. My K-5 might take an extra fraction of a second to display an image after capture (as compared to my K-7), but I've had no issues with slow menus as you've described.
I haven't had any issues either. Almost instantaneous response. Sounds like a issue specific to your camera. Might be time for warranty repair.
05-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I haven't had any issues either. Almost instantaneous response. Sounds like a issue specific to your camera. Might be time for warranty repair.
I should say some menus, not all. But it is definitely not as speedy as my K-7/K20.

Slowest is the delete menu... not the deleting itself... but I push delete and a few seconds later pops up "Are you sure?"

Or the center OK/Focus button... I push that, and it takes a few seconds to switch from focus select to photo capture options and back to focus select.

Some menus are mostly normal... others noticeably very slow, and overall nothing is super-fast. Definitely a lag from not-so-much (under 1 second) to 5 seconds or so... all depending on the operation/menu.

It is bearable... and I did read somewhere this was a common issue. But I guess some people aren't having this? My K-5 is only 2 months old.
05-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by The Pentaxian Quote
RE: StepOne's Post. I know that I don't know you. And mean no disrespect. But I was just wondering if you are a representative from another Camera manufacturer? As I know that Public Relations people are now paid to post bad comments about competitors products in forums like these. Just wondering, as it is a Pentax forum, and you apparently don't like Pentax. Oh, and by the way. All companies are driven by profit. All of them. If they were driven by charity as you have posted, everything would be free.
It's a good thing you know that you don't know me. And yes, I am king of Canikonland (the first) . A company does me no favor, they sell a product. Is the product i like or not. I like my K-x. I did not said others have the perfect products, i said i would consider those first based on the "available" criteria (it's subjective, based on what's available around me and on second hand market). I did not said companies are driven by charity. All products have more or less problems, but if we "learn to live with it", they will just enjoy our pockets and do nothing.