Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

User Modes can be very useful...

I was standing under a bridge, waiting for the light to darken a little more for some long exposure shots.

A cute looking little tug design came shooting down with the tide. My k5 was on a tripod with a 2 second time delay on it, with some bracketing set up, etc. In Manual mode with 80 iso. The problem was how to quickly leave that setup and get into something that would catch this little tug that was rapidly approaching (the first boat in more than an hour).

Then it occurred to me. I had set up a "normal" user mode with TVA in 12,800 auto iso. I quickly rotated the dial to user mode, selected normal, dialed in 1/500th sec, F8, loosened the lock on the ball head and waited for the tug to enter the corridor between the bridge legs. I got this shot, which perhaps isn't the best in the world, but it nevertheless shows how User modes can enable one to quickly change the exposure mode to respond to a external non--planned event.

I love this flexibility that the K5 provides!!!!!

05-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Nice! I haven't figured out what I want for my user modes yet, but I can definitely see how it's useful.
05-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
Nice! I haven't figured out what I want for my user modes yet, but I can definitely see how it's useful.
Here's an idea to get you started- set one up for bracketing! Since they got rid of the dedicated bracketing button, that's mainly what I use user for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sure do need to read that manual....lots of neat things the K5 can do. Bracketing...never thought of that! Thanks! Here I was with a mode for Fat Squirrel, Skinny Squirrel, Fast Squirrel, Slow Squirrel, and Naked Squirrel. I think I will try to read a few pages every night......

Best Regards!

05-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great photo Phil, wish my planned shots were as good as your grab shot!
05-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've got user modes set up for 1] normal 2] drive by shooting 3] remote flash

... and yup great pic!!!
05-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow great example!

TBH, I haven't looked or touched the mode dial on my K-5 since I've bought it.
Your post is a reminder of how helpful a little preperation can truly be.

Nice composition btw!
05-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments, very much appreciated.

In a burst of enthusiasm, i set up my user modes before i even knew much about operating the camera

Smeggy's "drive by shooting" is mysterious, hadn't thought about one for remote flash, did have one for bracketing. I need to go back and redo them.

05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

why the green mode wasnt an option?
I'm not sure yet but I understand this is a kind of "normal" and automatic mode
05-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
why the green mode wasnt an option?
I'm not sure yet but I understand this is a kind of "normal" and automatic mode
Automatic scene modes are fine when taking casual snapshots, but when you know exactly what its going to take for the scene you are envisioning, one finds themselves fighting the automatic programming. As an example, i just started my camera in automatic Green mode in an interior room about as dim as it was under the bridge, it gave me 1/60sec and f2.8. Those are inferior settings for the scene i wanted, and the green mode does not permit user changes to any sig degree.