Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just ordered K5 - a couple of questions

The recent price fall here in the UK has convinced me to change my K20D for a K5, I'm working my way through the manual and a couple of questions have come to mind...

Slow shutter speed noise reduction - do you now turn NR off or still keep it set?

High Iso noise reduction- at what iso (if any) do you apply cutom NR - I'm not keen on the auto setting

Lens correction- am I best still using the PTlens photoshop plug-in or using this new K5 function

RAW/FX button - what do you have yours set for

thanks

Simon

05-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
The recent price fall here in the UK has convinced me to change my K20D for a K5, I'm working my way through the manual and a couple of questions have come to mind...

Slow shutter speed noise reduction - do you now turn NR off or still keep it set?

High Iso noise reduction- at what iso (if any) do you apply cutom NR - I'm not keen on the auto setting

Lens correction- am I best still using the PTlens photoshop plug-in or using this new K5 function

thanks

Simon
Simon, Welcome to the Club!

I leave all the noise reduction turned off. Simple reason being, on long exposures, I don't want to take the time for it to work. Same thing with Lens corrections. I don't want to wait for them. They only work with Pentax lenses anyway.

I have the RAW button set to turn the level on and off. I find it useful when I'm set up on a tripod but otherwise, I don't like the level because it takes over the meter display in the viewfinder (I use M mode most of the time).

05-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the camera and good questions.

I can't help you because I dont have a K-5, but I have a follow up question: is the NR setting only applicable to JPEG or to RAW as well?

Thanks!
05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Congrats on the camera and good questions.

I can't help you because I dont have a K-5, but I have a follow up question: is the NR setting only applicable to JPEG or to RAW as well?

Thanks!
I think it's JPG only. Evidenced by the fact that when I go HIGH ISO, I have to do my own reduction in ACR or use something like Topaz to reduce the resulting JPG noise. One has to be careful with it still because too much will soften the image too much or introduce nasty JPG artifacts. Even with High ISO, it is still important to get the exposure correct. The awesome high ISO and Dynamic range of the K5 is great but it isn't completely idiot proof.

05-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First of all...

On your new K-5!

-

Okay now, on with the questions:

1. Slow shutter speed noise reduction - do you now turn NR off or still keep it set?

I think this comes down a JPG /RAW, preference.
To which I'd add, it you are shooting in RAW, then you'd have nothing to worry about as you can get much better results in NR than what with in-camera performance.

2. High Iso noise reduction- at what iso (if any) do you apply cutom NR - I'm not keen on the auto setting

This is pretty much the same as the first.
However, if you are shoot in JPG then I'd highly recommend taking over of the NR controls yourself so as to avoid as many of the potentials downsides to leaving the camera trying to determine what's best(turns out the camera isn't that smart )

3. Lens correction- am I best still using the PTlens photoshop plug-in or using this new K5 function

Given that you can do a bang-up job in post, I'd say leave it off. However, its the performance hit that likely makes this the most significant. Lens correction can really bog down the camera's performance.

4. RAW/FX button - what do you have yours set for

Have yet to use it

I know most people have already posted pretty much the same answers, but you have to ask yourself... do any of them offer a congratulations banner?
05-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, and the fancy graphics, very helpful (the comments moreso than the graphics)

Simon
05-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

Good decision

Depends on what I'm shooting. Slow shutter NR is primarily a Dark Frame subtraction. It is applied to both RAW & Jpeg.

Thus the camera will take an exposure of the same length as the original but of the back of the shutter to obtain an image of the sensor noise and correct the image for the uneven response of the chip. If circumstances permit the downtime between each shot I leave it on.

I find the Pentax High NR algorithms very good, but to play safe I have a couple of higher ISO's where it is off, so I can normally select an "Off" ISO if required.

I found that whilst the Lens correction is good it generated too much of a processing overhead to have it switch on. Instead I may internally process and image after the fact. This is very infrequent as I'm primarily a RAW and LR3 processor now. The latest LR3.4 has introduced a wide range of Pentax lens corrections.

I had it set for Bracketing to try and reproduce the K10/20 bracketing button. But if you change any of the bracket criteria with the edials, the FX button won't get to back out of bracketing. Forcing you to go into drive mode and select what you were in before. I found I was knocking the FX button too often when changing AF mode* to warrant this setting. Currently I have it set to turn the level on & off.

* particularly with a L-plate on.

05-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Banned

On No 4:
I have it on electronic level. It is the only button that I at K-7 accidental coult hit during taking photo's and by that changing from RAW to jpg without wanting that. Now it never hurds me.