Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,881
Squirrels love it! Shooting against a bright background, the Squirrel can turn out way too dark, but processing to pull him/her up to proper exposure is a snap with the K5.

Also don't hear much about the excellent metering of the K5, it is vastly better than my K20D.

Care for some apple?
[IMG] [/IMG]

05-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Are the stripes in the dark area sensor banding?
I'd say most likely yes.
05-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd say most likely yes.
I was just hesitant to brand it such. My K20D has ugly color noise and splotching, but it doesn't band up like THAT. That's not pretty.
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I was just hesitant to brand it such. My K20D has ugly color noise and splotching, but it doesn't band up like THAT. That's not pretty.
I think that could depend on how far the shadows are(pulling up). But my K20's will breakdown and exhibit banding and low frequency noise(pretty messy) when pushed far enough. However, without knowing the limits on the 7D image it may be difficult to know what's going on. Though if memory serves me right, I think the 7D had better noise handling than the K20D didn't it? I can't quite remember but I think that's what I saw when looking over some Imaging resource samples back in the day.

Either way, I guess the banding could be fixed in post processing.
Which still wouldn't make it a K-5 in terms of performance, but should be usable I guess.

05-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think that could depend on how far the shadows are(pulling up). But my K20's will breakdown and exhibit banding and low frequency noise(pretty messy) when pushed far enough. However, without knowing the limits on the 7D image it may be difficult to know what's going on. Though if memory serves me right, I think the 7D had better noise handling than the K20D didn't it? I can't quite remember but I think that's what I saw when looking over some Imaging resource samples back in the day.

Either way, I guess the banding could be fixed in post processing.
Which still wouldn't make it a K-5 in terms of performance, but should be usable I guess.
I got occasional banding on the K20D - which is why I didn't push shadows often - but not like that. It was broader, like one indefinite band for four or five of those in that image.

I don't often do cross-brand comparisons (I can't use Pentax glass on the othern', so why would I care) but I thought I remembered seeing a shootout that showed most of the last-gen APS-c machines were close as dammit for noise in RAW. I don't pay any attention to noise measures in JPG at all (you're just seeing the NR algorithm in the camera), and many such reviews do.
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member
krypticide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,079
Coming from the K-7, the additional DR even at high ISOs is just amazing. There's a lot more leeway in post processing.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I was just hesitant to brand it such. My K20D has ugly color noise and splotching, but it doesn't band up like THAT. That's not pretty.
Definitely Canon chip technology, has you seen this comparison of sensor performance?

Nikon DX vs Canon APS-C: Dynamic Range | TestCams.com
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Definitely Canon chip technology, has you seen this comparison of sensor performance?

Nikon DX vs Canon APS-C: Dynamic Range | TestCams.com
Oh, yeah, saw those. Great stuff. I'd like to see the same thing done with a Canon FF and the K-5, just for fun; for real-world comparisons.

05-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Definitely Canon chip technology, has you seen this comparison of sensor performance?

Nikon DX vs Canon APS-C: Dynamic Range | TestCams.com
Great videos. I didn't know about the Canon cross-hatch noise problem.

<rant> It was pretty grating the way the presenter pronounced Nikon as knee-con and posterization as pah-stir-ization. I know, as a Japanese word, knee-con is closer to actual pronunciation (it should actually be knee-cone), but in their English ads, Nikon pronounces their own name nigh-con, and I'd trust them to pronounce it as it should be pronounced. And posterization is an old graphic design term derived from early poster printing techniques that applied color in solid areas without gradation. It's poster-ization. Not pah-stir-ization. </rant>
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Great videos. I didn't know about the Canon cross-hatch noise problem.

<rant> It was pretty grating the way the presenter pronounced Nikon as knee-con and posterization as pah-stir-ization. I know, as a Japanese word, knee-con is closer to actual pronunciation (it should actually be knee-cone), but in their English ads, Nikon pronounces their own name nigh-con, and I'd trust them to pronounce it as it should be pronounced. And posterization is an old graphic design term derived from early poster printing techniques that applied color in solid areas without gradation. It's poster-ization. Not pah-stir-ization. </rant>
I don't mind nee-kon so much, but pah-sterization was *killin* me.
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Oh, yeah, saw those. Great stuff. I'd like to see the same thing done with a Canon FF and the K-5, just for fun; for real-world comparisons.
Like this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/140726-k5-vs-5d-mark-ii-wow-k5-insane.html
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Oh, right! I remember that now. Thanks for the reminder!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, detail, dslr, high-iso, images, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, light, lightroom, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Example of AF, DR, high ISO and high shutter speed on K-5 benisona Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 11-30-2010 02:25 PM
People High ISO K7 milesy Post Your Photos! 6 10-11-2010 01:36 AM
K7 at high ISO zelovoc Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 09-14-2010 07:23 AM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
K10D at 6 months - ISO and Kelvin matters dmdctusa Photographic Technique 2 09-02-2007 02:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top