Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Squirrels love it! Shooting against a bright background, the Squirrel can turn out way too dark, but processing to pull him/her up to proper exposure is a snap with the K5.

Also don't hear much about the excellent metering of the K5, it is vastly better than my K20D.

Care for some apple?
[IMG] [/IMG]

05-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Are the stripes in the dark area sensor banding?
I'd say most likely yes.
05-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd say most likely yes.
I was just hesitant to brand it such. My K20D has ugly color noise and splotching, but it doesn't band up like THAT. That's not pretty.
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was just hesitant to brand it such. My K20D has ugly color noise and splotching, but it doesn't band up like THAT. That's not pretty.
I think that could depend on how far the shadows are(pulling up). But my K20's will breakdown and exhibit banding and low frequency noise(pretty messy) when pushed far enough. However, without knowing the limits on the 7D image it may be difficult to know what's going on. Though if memory serves me right, I think the 7D had better noise handling than the K20D didn't it? I can't quite remember but I think that's what I saw when looking over some Imaging resource samples back in the day.

Either way, I guess the banding could be fixed in post processing.
Which still wouldn't make it a K-5 in terms of performance, but should be usable I guess.

05-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think that could depend on how far the shadows are(pulling up). But my K20's will breakdown and exhibit banding and low frequency noise(pretty messy) when pushed far enough. However, without knowing the limits on the 7D image it may be difficult to know what's going on. Though if memory serves me right, I think the 7D had better noise handling than the K20D didn't it? I can't quite remember but I think that's what I saw when looking over some Imaging resource samples back in the day.

Either way, I guess the banding could be fixed in post processing.
Which still wouldn't make it a K-5 in terms of performance, but should be usable I guess.
I got occasional banding on the K20D - which is why I didn't push shadows often - but not like that. It was broader, like one indefinite band for four or five of those in that image.

I don't often do cross-brand comparisons (I can't use Pentax glass on the othern', so why would I care) but I thought I remembered seeing a shootout that showed most of the last-gen APS-c machines were close as dammit for noise in RAW. I don't pay any attention to noise measures in JPG at all (you're just seeing the NR algorithm in the camera), and many such reviews do.
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Coming from the K-7, the additional DR even at high ISOs is just amazing. There's a lot more leeway in post processing.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
Col
Veteran Member

Definitely Canon chip technology, has you seen this comparison of sensor performance?

Nikon DX vs Canon APS-C: Dynamic Range | TestCams.com

05-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Definitely Canon chip technology, has you seen this comparison of sensor performance?

Oh, yeah, saw those. Great stuff. I'd like to see the same thing done with a Canon FF and the K-5, just for fun; for real-world comparisons.
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote

Great videos. I didn't know about the Canon cross-hatch noise problem.

<rant> It was pretty grating the way the presenter pronounced Nikon as knee-con and posterization as pah-stir-ization. I know, as a Japanese word, knee-con is closer to actual pronunciation (it should actually be knee-cone), but in their English ads, Nikon pronounces their own name nigh-con, and I'd trust them to pronounce it as it should be pronounced. And posterization is an old graphic design term derived from early poster printing techniques that applied color in solid areas without gradation. It's poster-ization. Not pah-stir-ization. </rant>
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Great videos. I didn't know about the Canon cross-hatch noise problem.

<rant> It was pretty grating the way the presenter pronounced Nikon as knee-con and posterization as pah-stir-ization. I know, as a Japanese word, knee-con is closer to actual pronunciation (it should actually be knee-cone), but in their English ads, Nikon pronounces their own name nigh-con, and I'd trust them to pronounce it as it should be pronounced. And posterization is an old graphic design term derived from early poster printing techniques that applied color in solid areas without gradation. It's poster-ization. Not pah-stir-ization. </rant>
I don't mind nee-kon so much, but pah-sterization was *killin* me.
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh, yeah, saw those. Great stuff. I'd like to see the same thing done with a Canon FF and the K-5, just for fun; for real-world comparisons.
Like this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/140726-k5-vs-5d-mark-ii-wow-k5-insane.html
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Oh, right! I remember that now. Thanks for the reminder!