Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is this logical?

I have owned Pentax MF equipment for years (6x7 and 645n) and I am nearing a purchase of a 645D. Because I own quite a collection of Pentax 645/67 lenses the purchase of the 645D makes a lot of sense as I shoot and sell landscapes and I often make very large mural size prints for my customers.

I have also been using my 645 lenses on my Canon 5Dmk2 with a Pentax to EOS adapter and I've been extremely pleased with the results. But to make the purchase of the 645D financially justifiable I need to sell the Canon systems I own. I've been researching the Pentax K-5 and it seems to be completely adequate as a backup system and in particular for night sky/low light work not to mention that it's getting rave reviews for IQ.

I'm thinking that using my 645 lenses with the K-5, with an adapter, in conjunction with an additional wide angle for night sky and the kit lens, would provide a pretty complete solution to my needs.

One issue that I don't fully understand but I have to admit I haven't researched it thoroughly is the sensor stain issue. The other is turnaround time for unexpected warranty or non-warranty repairs. I always get 2-4 day turnaround at Canon for routine cleaning and repairs. Can I expect reasonable turnaround times from Pentax?

Thanks all.

05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
One issue that I don't fully understand but I have to admit I haven't researched it thoroughly is the sensor stain issue.
The issue is pretty much a thing of the past at this point. I think the closest Pentax service center (I might be wrong) is in Phoenix, and they seem to be pretty quick about getting repairs done if needed.

If you're fine with using your medium format lenses on your Canon, then I don't see anything wrong with using them on your Pentax easier. Obviously, the system won't handle as well as it would with K-mount lenses, but the image quality should be fine!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You will want to check into what is available for Pentax Pro service.
I suspect that you must be in a similar service system with Canon to get that sort of turnaround.
05-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using my 645 lenses on my K20 D for a good while, bought them specifically for that purpose, along with the Pentax adapter. Work fantastic!

Now that I have the K5 they seem to work just as well, but since the metering is much better in the K5, even easier to use. I think there is no reason you would not be fully satisfied.
Best Regards