Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very Happy

Hello

I do not get a chance to post much here...usually working, taking care of the family and weaving my favorite hobby in between everything.

Six weeks ago I was blessed to pick up a Pentax K-5 as an early 40th B-Day present.

Well about 3900 shutter clicks later, I remain a very happy camper.

I've used the camera for family gatherings, travel photography, events, landscapes and youth sports. I've gotten to know it pretty well....and I really feel it is the best package I could have picked up right now for my lifestyle and varied photographic needs. This week I captured a family birthday, five baseball games, a girl scout fun fair and two retirement dinners for work.

I've captured photos my lovely K200D would never have touched just because...well it is a few years old, and Pentax did a bang up job on this camera with new technology.

So far the focus is what I need for sports, the sensor is amazing, and my existing glass seems a whole lot better. I love using PEF with natural colors...I don't get any baked in special saturation sauce like Nikon puts in the NEF files (I've worked with my buddies D7000). I feel that I have more control over the entire photographic process than I did before.

I also would say that the size is perfect for my frequent work trips, which I take my camera to keep me occupied with something positive while away from the family. Nothing else I tested out there matched this K-5 for a travel camera.

My one wish is that Pentax can make the flash a little more predictable.

So for a couple years I'll just keep praying Pentax (and third party makers) continues to make good glass...and introduces more for us all to enjoy.

Well enough talk...here are some of my favorite photos. I hope we all can continue to make some from our Pentaxes for years to come!

Eric

Photo1: Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Photo2: Baseball Game
Photo3: Easter Fun
Photo4: Lessons on Moving Subjects
Photo5: ISO 1600 due to low light to capture motion, saturation put back in to make it worthwhile in post

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   

Last edited by ecwoj; 05-16-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Photos did not Attach from album
05-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

Very nice photos. I just received my K-5 two weeks ago and am enjoying it as well.
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's good to read posts like this one.
Too often online we just hear about bugs and problems and the gripes.
05-17-2011, 02:49 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Edmund. I bet you are having fun with a K-5 and that lens lineup!

Thanks Rawr, I know was worried after seeing so much negativity about flaws....You are right that we often bear ourselves silly. I know the K-5 has issues....but reading D7000 posts on focus issues and Canon folks with theirs just made me remember that nothing is perfect. In many ways it is the usual Catch-22. We want the best across brands, at the lowest price, and most comfortable accessories. You cannot find everything in one place.

I liked my friends D7000, but the weight of the lenses and body made me worry for it as a travel camera...and the lack of weather sealing. I often shoot in the middle of winter in cold or drizzle, or damp days on the baseball diamond. So sealing the body and lenses becomes a critical thing for me. The Canon equivalent system is even larger (7D) and much less comfortable ergonomically to me. According to their user boards each brand has the same issues we face...focus this, exposure that, etc at various times. I've realized myself that I love the in-body stabilization for my short primes, but I really would like the lens stabilization on longer glass like the 70-200. This is an area where a Pentax/Sigma lens combination already cannot be matched if it was exploited by us users.

In the end...the K-5 rocked my photographic world and happily is taking me places that I was locked out of before by technical capabilities. I would also say that its ergonomics to me lets me manipulate the settings extremely fast, and switch functions to match the scene or moment without looking. Just the simple focus mode, iso, aperture/shutter speed etc lets me move from action to still or sun to shade in a split second in a way no mainly menu driven camera can match. My K200D is good...but now that I have these new tools I am learning to take fuller advantage of them.

Last edited by ecwoj; 05-17-2011 at 03:26 AM.