Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K5 Foibles (?): Memory card, shake reduction, mode select lock-out button

I've had my K5 for about a month now, and there are a few things that I think Pentax got wrong. What do you think?

Memory card: this is amazingly difficult to get out of the camera! There is not enough clearance for your fingers to grab the card, especially if you are a bit older and have some arthritis in your right hand thumb. Another millimeter or two of "width" or "depth" between the card and the cover would be very nice.

Shake reduction - this should NOT be in a menu, but a button or switch, like on the K20 - this is perhaps the function (other than white balance) which I change the most!!!!!! What a nuisance.

I have NEVER changed the shooting mode by mistake on any camera I have owned - for the last 50 years. I don't see the need for the little push button in the middle of the mode select dial. I suppose at some point I will get used to pushing it before I try to change the mode, but I think this is totally unnecessary.

Comments?

05-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Astro.

I have considered your very criticisms of the K-5 and have now with a few weeks' use of the camera not only forgotten about them, but have found the current design quite acceptable.

1. Memory card ejection - it's definitely different and less easy than the K20D, however, this can easily be gotten around by 'flicking' the card out after depressing the card for ejection. With your thumb, press the card in, then flick your thumb away sideways to permit the card to eject out more convincingly, thereby allowing easy removal. Try it out and see the difference.

2. SR switch - the instances I have found I needed to switch SR off the most were when I was doing long exposures sitting the camera on a tripod. In that case, I would *always* switch the drive mode to a 2-sec shutter release delay. When this mode is selected on the K-5, the camera *automatically* switches SR off. Then the camera reverts to SR being on once drive mode has been taken off the delayed shutter release option.

3. Mode dial lock - this is not a big deal to me. It's easy to operate with one hand (index finger on the button whilst thumb and third finger operate the wheel) and isn't stiff at all. I have accidentally knocked my camera mode dial a few times on previous cameras, but usually pick up on it before I take the next shot (usually...)
05-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

1,Memory card pops out into my hand if I do it just right. Once it got away from me and flew across the room. I have no hassle with the way it is implemented.

2, have you considered setting one of your custom functions to have SR off?

3, I like the mode lock. This is a bonus, not a negative.

Each to their own I guess.
05-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The mode dial is very important to me. I have had many incidents in which my K-x changed modes just by pulling it out of the bag (it is very easy to do) and subsequently ruined several shots before I caught on. And I can turn it very quickly and easily with gloves so thick I can barely tell I'm touching the dial at all.

SR switch would be nice, but it's not that big a deal, since as Ash said, the only time I want it off is when it's on a tripod and I change it to 2 second timer anyway (or when I used to use a Sigma lens with OS). The memory card slot is also not a big deal to me, though I suppose I do have relatively small and nimble fingers. Of course I do know what you mean, and making the clearance a little wider wouldn't hurt.

I would complain about the design of the memory card door itself, though. It is relatively flimsy and easy to dislodge, and a serious weakpoint in the weather sealing on the camera (hardly sealed at all except for a small rubber pad).

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-17-2011 at 01:23 AM.
05-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not happy with the removal of the SR switch either, but using the status screen you can switch it on and off reasonably quickly.

the locking mode dial is something I actually rather like,especially when you have the vertical grip attached to your camera accidentally knocking that mode dial becomes much easier.

I have small but extremely strong fingers so getting the cards out was never an issue for me.
05-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have medium sized, fairly weak fingers and haven't had any major problems getting cards in and out. Took a little time to get used to it, and overall it could have been designed better (the door especially). I preferred the way it was on the K10D/K20D.

I could go either way on the SR button. I don't find it's a setting I change too often, and going through the info/status screen it quick enough for me. However, I can see if you changed it on a regular basis for whatever reason that losing the hard switch would be annoying.

I personally like the locking mode dial and I've never found it to be an issue. On my previous K-x body, without the lock, I found I had issues with it changing positions on me.
05-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Shake reduction - ... this is perhaps the function (other than white balance) which I change the most!!!!!! What a nuisance.
Why so much SR manipulation?
05-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My 2 cents:
-mode dial is definitely an improvement with the lock since it gets knocked off so easily on my K10D that I often get shots with un-intended setting; besides, C*non also put this feature on their new 60D, whereas we got that long before on the K-7.
-SR on the menu, I agree with most posters here; yes, a dedicated dial would be nice, but it does not bother me at all as the only time I turn it off is when the camera is on the tripod; and besides no sense of wasting precious real estate on the back on the camera.
-memory card door, yes I agree that it could use some improvement since I always remove and insert the SD card when I download the photos to my computer. However, it is still not too bad after I am used that - I find that if I push the card quickly and let go, it comes up further and thus making it easier to grab with my fingers.

05-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I push the card quickly and let go, it comes up further and thus making it easier to grab with my fingers.
incidentally, that's actually how you are supposed to remove them. Amazingly some people do not know this.
05-17-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I agree regarding the memory card. That was the first thing I noticed when I demo'd the very similar K-7 body. My hands are large, but my finger tips are fairly normal size and there is not much room to do the flick-down maneuver. OTOH, I really like the card door and release on my K10D.

Steve
05-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

The memory card is easy if you push it in quickly and release quickly...it just pops right out!

SR switch......Yes, I miss it, but since it was maybe once in a month I turned it off om my K20D, if that often, no big deal. In fact, it helps, since sometimes I turned it off by mistake, which doesn't happen now.

Shooting Mode button....No, not necessary in my opinion, but not a deal breaker by any stretch.

There is that old (very old) joke about throwing her out for eating crackers in bed......the K5 is superb, a few little crumbs don't get in the way, do they?

You decide? I wouldn't even mind if my K5 was eating on a Snickers Bar.......
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
05-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
incidentally, that's actually how you are supposed to remove them. Amazingly some people do not know this.
LOL... when I do that, mine shoots out of the camera. I've got to where I cup my hand around it and push it in with my index finger, then release it, and it shoots out into my hand. If you miss it, though, you gotta go hunting!
05-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For the mode dial lock, this was a feature that a lot of people requested, then when it came out on the K-7 a lot of people didn't like it so much.

On the K-5, the mode dial is actually taller, so they've improved it in that way at least making it easy to grab.

I went from a K-7 to a K-x for a while and damn if that little mode dial didn't get turned around all the freaking time when I'd grasp the camera quickly to take a shot and my freakishly strong thumb would simply brush up against it.

Big difference in build, of course, but the mode dial isn't something I move too often anyway, so I like that it doesn't move by itself!
05-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I won't get my K-5 until next monday, but interestingly, all of the foibles mentioned apply to the K-7 as well.

When going from K-x to K-7, I didn't like the locking mode dial at first, but I got used to it quickly. I did have some trouble with accidentally changing the mode on my K-x, just pulling the camera out of the bag.

With regard to shake reduction, I don't feel like I need a button just for that, but some programmable buttons would be nice. I'd use one to bring up the "input focal length" screen. I frequently forget to turn off my K-7. It turns itself off, but if I've swapped lenses in the interim, the focal length screen doesn't pop up like it does when you use the switch. I've done a good bit of shooting with the camera set to the wrong focal length, which can result in soft photos due to SR compensating incorrectly.

I've definitely shot the SD card across the room before. Can't remember if it was my K-x or K-7. I had to do the flick with one of them, but not the other. Having only one card, going back and forth was fun.
05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

For the card slot , a member here have measure the card and the problem seem to be with the card not the slot .

My card slot of the K-5 feel exactly the same as on the K-X. The card I use are Transcend