Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To everyone with this issue: When no lens is mounted, does the aperture control lever at the left side of the mount move when the shutter/mirror cycles? A K-r with the same problem reported has an aperture control lever that is not moving, which explains the following:

QuoteOriginally posted by mfutrell Quote
After 2 months a CRIS for this exact problem mine supposedly is shipping back today. They said thet they did the following

REPLACED APERTURE CONTROL UNIT
REPLACED APERTURE CONTROL CONTACT PAD AND BRUSHES

We will see if it is fixed this time....
It looks as if there is a problem with the aperture control unit causing it to jam or otherwise not move when the shutter is released.

--DragonLord

08-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My camera was finally returned yesterday. Seems to be working well so far. I had to add +8 to global lens correction though. I should be taking it to a convention on Saturday, so it will have a full test soon.

EDIT: A few days after getting it back, the camera just started showing signs of the issue again..............

Last edited by sjwaldron; 08-16-2011 at 11:31 AM.
08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to start off my reply by *knocking on wood!*

I bought my Silver K5 back in April. I was worried about this problem rearing it's ugly head during my cross-country trip, but luckily, it did not.

I use Pentax Genuine batteries only. I often leave them to charge overnight. However, I don't think I ever put one in the camera right after charging. I rotate between two, and charge a low or dead one after putting in the last charged one... so I charge and then put it aside for when the other goes low or dead, then swap. Hope that's clear.

I never use continuous shooting mode either.

I've been in all kinds of weather from very hot and humid and much more moderate... out in the rain, even under a fountain. I think I'm up to about 5,000 shots on the camera (which is actually a lot for me!)

I'm only contributing as someone who hasn't had an issue to see if there's some rhyme or reason to why some are having this problem while others aren't. I'm wondering if it's either defective batteries or a batch of defective chargers.

Both of my batteries are from lot 201101
The date on my charger is 2010 / 06
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #169

Me, TOO!

I've been having the flopping shutter for about 3 months. K-5 bought in January. No problems until lately.

one pentax battery
one second party (because I couldn't find anything else!!! Please suggest we can buy more batteries when we buy your body!)

I turn it off to try to get it to stop clopping and it resets at f/8, like I read someone else say!

At first I thought this was a heat-specific problem, starting in June on a 90 degree day. Then I thought it was when I switched from shooting into the sun to shooting into the shade. I am a portrait photographer by trade, and sometimes I chase children.

I'm very concerned about this. I have a very busy shooting schedule and the last person I know who sent her K-5 back was told 10-14 days and didn't hear from pentax for a month! My husband is jobless right now, so if I'm down a K-5 and stuck on my ailing K-10s, my income is compromised and I can't charge the same amount or produce comparable product for my clients!

I love my K-5- I need to get this problem fixed ASAP! Please, Pentax, HELP!

08-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robyn Quote
I've been having the flopping shutter for about 3 months. K-5 bought in January. No problems until lately.

one pentax battery
one second party (because I couldn't find anything else!!! Please suggest we can buy more batteries when we buy your body!)

I turn it off to try to get it to stop clopping and it resets at f/8, like I read someone else say!

At first I thought this was a heat-specific problem, starting in June on a 90 degree day. Then I thought it was when I switched from shooting into the sun to shooting into the shade. I am a portrait photographer by trade, and sometimes I chase children.

I'm very concerned about this. I have a very busy shooting schedule and the last person I know who sent her K-5 back was told 10-14 days and didn't hear from pentax for a month! My husband is jobless right now, so if I'm down a K-5 and stuck on my ailing K-10s, my income is compromised and I can't charge the same amount or produce comparable product for my clients!

It's frustrating for all of us. As I've said in this thread, my camera was away for two months and a few days after getting it back, it is showing the initial signs of the issue again. I have all official OEM batteries, so that isn't the issue. They replaced the top circuit board, but no dice. It must either be something else or a combination of power and aperture control assembly issues. I'm thinking that CRIS is playing the guessing game as to the true cause(s) of this issue. I think there was at least one guy who had his camera truly fixed, so you might want to read through the full thread and contact him to see if that is still true.

If you rely on equipment for business, you need to deal with issues in a professional way. Generally, professionals are all about redundancy with equipment. It sounds like you have at least two K10D cameras? I don't see why those are not sufficient to get the job done. If I were in your shoes, I probably would have opted for two K20D instead of a single K-5. The K-5 is a much better camera, but a job needs to get done and I would not be willing to rely on a single camera body.

Did you buy your camera from a local camera shop? Maybe they could help you with getting a new replacement instead of waiting for yours to be fixed. Mine has been helpful to some degree, but I still am stuck with this lemon so far... I'm hoping that will change though.

This forum has no connection to Pentax the company, so you should contact them directly through Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site . It's not impossible that they look at these forums, but I highly doubt they would go out of their way to contact us through here.
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #171

Thanks- I have ordered a back-up. Even still, I am concerned about ordering a back-up with something that has not truly had the problem resolved.

One of my k10's has what I affectionately refer to as "crazy ISO" =)---changes without notice and bumps to 400, and the other had a bad hot shoe.

There is no comparison between the K10's/20's and the K5. I waited through the 20 & K7 for the K5, so am hopeful for this to be resolved. The speed of the sensor is important to me for my style of work and moving subjects.

Thank you for this response!
08-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robyn Quote

one pentax battery

I wish you luck. My K-5 went to Arizona now over 4 weeks ago and haven't heard a word from them. Fortunately, I had kept my K-10, and I've found that after the K5 raised my expectations of what a camera can do, that I can make the K10 produce more.---though not as much as the K5. gotta love the k-5

08-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #173
Veteran Member

So far my K5 has been behaving, but in general terms, SJ's experience is the kind of stuff that makes me nuts, whether in my life as pro photographer or as IT Admin. Sending critical equipment for repair is stressful enough, having them keep it for weeks to only come back half-baked doesn't do any of us any favors.

And it's not like this doesn't happen to other camera brands - but that's no consolation to any of us, whether avid users, pros, or casual once-a-month photo snappers.

It's why I keep my K20D and K10D... they have their quirks and limitations but right now I can't afford to put all my eggs in the K5 basket.
08-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
So far my K5 has been behaving, but in general terms, SJ's experience is the kind of stuff that makes me nuts, whether in my life as pro photographer or as IT Admin. Sending critical equipment for repair is stressful enough, having them keep it for weeks to only come back half-baked doesn't do any of us any favors.

And it's not like this doesn't happen to other camera brands - but that's no consolation to any of us, whether avid users, pros, or casual once-a-month photo snappers.

It's why I keep my K20D and K10D... they have their quirks and limitations but right now I can't afford to put all my eggs in the K5 basket.
For sure. I thinking more and more that keeping old camera bodies is a good idea. Like you were saying, having multiple bodies of different eras should further lesses the chances of being without something to take the photos you need. Right now I have the K-5, K-7, and *ist D. I've sold a few in the past (ist DS, K10D) to help finance purchases of newer gear, but I'm going to be less likely to do that in the future because having the K-7 around has especially been great for the time the K-5 has been out of service.

I'm half tempted to get another K-7 once used prices really bottom out because I know that thing like the back of my hand. While I had the *ist DS for the longest in years, the K-7 has been my most used in shutter actuations by far.
08-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #175

Me too, but not in Bulb/Manual focus/with shutter release cable

SN#402XXXX
Production ID 1 (not sure what this is)
Firmware V1.03
Mfgd. 03/24/2011
Rec’d. 05/11/2011 (replacement for a sensor-stained unit)
First malfunctioned @ 936 shutter count on 07/28/2011 31C / 88F (battery died before shot was fully processed)
Currently @ 2120 shutter count
1 Pentax battery 12/2010; 1 Power2000 7.4V 1700 mAh (no grip)
Charger 12/2010

Usual behavior is sporadic, both in and outdoors, Pentax or Sigma lens, and in varied temperatures. Most often, it sounds as if it’s shooting 3 frames in continuous mode, yet I only use single-frame (RAW) mode. Pushing any button on the camera while “hyper-shuttering” continues the symptoms. It will even click 3 times when turning it off and another 3 when turning it back on (has done this in succession 2-3 times when trying to clear it). No image can be achieved during “hyper-shuttering.” Changed the auto-focus button from half-way shutter to the AF button; this did not resolve… same behavior. I also get the F8 / 125 too. Interestingly, I used my shutter release cable the other night for 50+ fireworks pics… (Bulb / Manual focus) it did not act up even once on a freshly charged battery! (Sorry, I have not been monitoring which battery was in use.)

Possibly related??? I was attempting to use wireless off-camera flash mode with a Metz 58-AF2 and fully charged Eneloops (2 days after the problem started). It would shoot a handful of images ok; then the lighting progressively got dimmer (and yes, I waited for the ready light). After going through 3 sets of AA batteries in the flash, I gave up and put it on-camera; PTTL did just fine. The AAs only took about 160 mAh when recharged, which is bizarre for 1900 mAh batteries.

Pentax told me they’ve never heard of anything like this. I just happened to google the problem tonight before composing my letter to them and found this post. This is my first (maybe last) Pentax. And to think I just sold all my Canon stuff last December for the K-5. Hope if we all put our heads together, we can determine the common thread.
08-17-2011, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #176
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OutdoorLady Quote
SN#402XXXX

Pentax told me they’ve never heard of anything like this.
This seems to be the stock answer a lot of people are getting.. which leads me to believe they really don't know what is causing the issue and just replacing parts hoping that a shot in the dark works.

When I spoke to a rep in Arizona he did admit to hearing of the problem and I do not believe this issue is as limited and isolated as some suggest. I do believe there is a component (electronic) that is failing over time.

We will see. My K5 is on its way for repair. At least I have another camera system to fall back on but I do not like it as much as the K5.
08-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #177

So glad to find this thread. I don't hang out here often but I've been having this intermittent problem (well described by others) for about two months now. Purchased my K5 in January and now have 13,659 shutter actuation's so you can tell how much I love it.
I've moved through K10D-K20D-K7-K5 and never had a hiccup with the cameras. (my DA*50-135 is another story)
Anyways, I don't have a spare since I tend to sell one camera to help pay for the next. Does anyone in Ontario know what the turnaround time and response is when dropping off at the Pentax Canada office is Mississauga?
08-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OutdoorLady Quote
Pentax told me they’ve never heard of anything like this
Hi
This is just so strange, I had precisely the same retort from the local PENTAX agent here when I turned in my K-5 with the mirror shakes. But then they repaired the camera successfully (it seems) without any further ado. With intermittent faults like these it is usually difficult for service staff to pinpoint the exact cause, but since they were able to remedy the problem quickly, my hunch would be they ask for and received advice from PENTAX Japan.

Replaced the mainboard they said. Which is true enough but I was surprised to see in EXIF that the manufacturing date changed from the original 10.Dec10 to 04.Jul10, which means a much earlier board replaced the original one. Not quite sure what to make of this. My thinking is if in the earlier boards had faulty components which caused the faults and it got ironed out in later production models, (which is usually the case) will I face the same problem again later on? Then again mayby the older mainboards where of better quality than the newer ones ? Who knows. Also since the repair was done very quickly they must have used a mainboard that came with the first shipment of spares.

Anyway time will tell, but so far my K-5 works like a dream, absolutely no faults that a know of.

Greetings
08-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #179

DanDriedger, dropped my k7 off there first week of July, still no camera and no word from them. At the time, they said the standard, 4-6 weeks and did give me an estimate quickly. I guess I'll have to give them a call. I wish I could have told you it was faster. Maybe they're busy.

Last edited by reala; 08-18-2011 at 05:23 AM.
08-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #180

Tests of hyper-shutter vs. batteries

Re: philbaum's post
Before sending my camera in for U.S. servicing, I had a friend test the voltage of my two batteries before/after charge: Pentax 8.14 / 8.38 Power2000 8.05/ 8.29... I then attempted to force the symptoms by taking a series of pics (about 300 total).

Conclusion: Immediately after recharge, the Pentax battery produced far more and worse malfunctions than the 3rd party brand (which I could only produce one minor time). I also noted that just prior to the full blown malfunction, the shutter makes a louder and *clunkier* sound to it vs. the normal, quiet sound.

I phoned Pentax this morning and was told the 8.4V output printed on the back of my charger is the only one they make and that the 7.2V listed on the back of our Pentax battery is the minimun expected charge. IF this is battery/charger related, wouldn't we all be having the same problem (since we all have the identical product accessories)? Does anyone out there have a charger that states less than 8.4V output on the back???