Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
It's not the battery that is causing this.. my K5 was repaired and I use the same batteries I had before they repaird the camera.. the issue has not returned since the camera came back from repair.
I didn't say it was the battery's fault, but that the problem arises (at least for me) only when the battery has a full charge, regardless of whether it is an original or third-party battery.

I'm sure once the problem with the camera is fixed it won't reoccur, regardless of battery battery type or charge level, just like with your K-5

09-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #197
Veteran Member

My camera was returned on the 14th. Seems alright so far after around 230 photos, although I plan on trying to use it as much as I can in the next few months to make sure.

- The camera only took around a week to have the "redo" repair this time.
- The print out from them only says "repaired mirror overrun" with REDO at the top of the page. So no idea if they replaced anything or just tweaked the camera.
- They also performed focus adjustment on my request because I complained the camera was returned to me the first time in poor order.
09-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #198

Sounds exactly like what they did to mine; no parts were replaced so turnaround time was great. My repair is holding at 660 shots; the original malfunction was around 930. I was told if it fails again within 90 days of repair, they will pay shipping both ways.
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #199
Forum Member

I noticed something very similar with my K200d last week. (About 37,000 clicks on it, powered by Eneloops.) It started firing on random buttons. Previously I have noticed unintended exposures in use. I'd chalked those off to my accidently pressing the release button too hard when I'd been keeping it half pressed to maintain focus AF lock. Now, I'm not so sure.

My K-5 is in transit. Looks like I will be hanging on to the K200d. (plus it already has a KatzEye screen installed.)

12-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
I noticed something very similar with my K200d last week. (About 37,000 clicks on it, powered by Eneloops.) It started firing on random buttons. Previously I have noticed unintended exposures in use. I'd chalked those off to my accidently pressing the release button too hard when I'd been keeping it half pressed to maintain focus AF lock. Now, I'm not so sure.

My K-5 is in transit. Looks like I will be hanging on to the K200d. (plus it already has a KatzEye screen installed.)
My camera shop guy mentioned that his old *ist series camera did something similar. Kind of odd, but I guess it signifies an electronics problem.

My K-5 has been solid since the second round of repair. That's a few months since my last posting.
12-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #201
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My k100d did something similar as well. I would have to turn it off and take the batteries out to make it stop. It seemed to happen more frequently when I used the newest Lithium AA batteries.
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #202

C.R.I.S. "mirror overrun" repair holding at 4600+ shots

QuoteQuote:
No parts were replaced in my camera; it sounds like they basically just tightened some nuts and bolts.
Thought I'd insert a follow-up from my post of 9/2/11 for all those with symptomatic cameras... the above count is *after* the repair - not even one malfunction from this issue. It is now a pleasure to shoot with again but this episode has made Pentax (Hoya/Ricoh... or whoever is on first) lose some credibility in my eyes. Good luck to all.
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #203

Mine was repaired around end of August, and after second battery recharge (with grip) the problem is coming back. I had couple clicks what I may call misfire (harder maybe double click when making continuous shots) and 2 incidents of mirror going by itself after shots were done the second one was like double click. So probably I am going to send it back again. I'm just curious how many people had to repair this more than once?

12-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rycho62 Quote
Mine was repaired around end of August, and after second battery recharge (with grip) the problem is coming back. I had couple clicks what I may call misfire (harder maybe double click when making continuous shots) and 2 incidents of mirror going by itself after shots were done the second one was like double click. So probably I am going to send it back again. I'm just curious how many people had to repair this more than once?
As you probably saw my posts above, I had to send it in twice. I think there was one other person in the beginning of the thread who did as well. The first time I let my local camera shop handle it. I think it would have been better in retrospect if I had sent it in. In my case the camera was acting up again within days of getting it back. The second time I sent a full letter going over the issue with links to videos of the problem and I also complained about having to send it in twice. The second repair only took them a few days and it has been working since then.

I'm kind of leaning towards overcharged batteries as a possible cause. Maybe a bad part in the main board wasn't able to handle the extra voltage. Just speculating though.
12-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #205

You are probably right about the cause, since camera is working correctly with my sigma 50-500 with OS (I'm guessing - it is using some power), and I've been using this lens on this camera for last few months so this is maybe why I thought everything was fixed. Recently because weather was not so nice I have taken 70-200 lens, and noticed misfiring. Today just for testing first I used 50-500 no problem and switched to Pentax 35mm and instantly got mirror overrun.
12-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After 7 months of tolerating the mirror flops and shutter spasms (because the K-5 is so awesome when it's co-operating) my K-5 is finally heading off to Pentax for repair, along with my old K20D.

Hope it comes back soon without any shutter trouble!
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #207
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am having this issue with my K-R. It only occurs with the Pentax kit SMC lenses. As soon as I take the lens off and snap a picture, everything resets. I do not have this problem with my cheap Tamron lens. Those who have had theirs repaired, what is the process? It appears I will need to get warranty work done.
Thanks.
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
I am having this issue with my K-R. It only occurs with the Pentax kit SMC lenses. As soon as I take the lens off and snap a picture, everything resets. I do not have this problem with my cheap Tamron lens. Those who have had theirs repaired, what is the process? It appears I will need to get warranty work done.
Thanks.
Depends on where you live. If in the USA, you can first contact Pentax through pentaximaging.com or send your camera to C.R.I.S.
Digital Camera Repair| C.R.I.S. A+ BBB Rating
12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #209
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought I'd add that my K20D is at CRIS for the odd mirror, aperture fires. It never seemed to have the extreme problems some have reported, but it gradually got worse to the point I sent it in. Fortunately, this is only just into year 3 of the extended warranty, so if it continues to have issues, I still have a little time. It's finally "in repair" as they had to wait for parts. So far it was labelled as an aperture actuator.

Another potential theory to the bad parts lots is counterfeit capacitors. There have been noted problems with bad caps being sold under good brand names. Since the capacitors store electrical charge, if Pentax got a bad lot, it could explain the "battery" and or "heat" connection. That would be something they probably wouldn't even think to look at as they're most likely all Surface Mount Devices and likely the whole board would need to be replaced.
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #210
Site Supporter

Is this bug a problem for K5 bodies that were built in August 2011? S/N 415,XXX