Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #211
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only time my camera does this anymore is when I fully charge both batteries, I use the Battery Grip all the time so I let one battery stay half charged all the time and I've never got the problem again.
But I still can charge both batteries full right now and it will fire using any button on the camera.
Just a quick remedy for those who can't send there camera in.

02-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #212

Problem Heat Related?

I found this thread an posted back in summer that I was having this issue intermittently. Summer is a terrible time to be without a camera, then comes significant events in the Fall, Christmas.... There never seemed like a good time to be without my camera while it was being repaired. And I had a pending trip to Kenya and Tanzania so certainly needed it for that. Plus, the problem seemed to go away.

Well, there I was in the midst of a beautiful Kenya day, snapping away to my heart's content when the double clicking issue reappeared. Nervous? You bet! The double shutter issue I could live with as long as it was actually taking pictures, but then the camera froze. I'd press the shutter button and the viewfinder would dim slightly but nothing would happen. You could do this two or three times and then it would say "battery depleted" and shut down. I swapped out batteries, switched a number of features on/off but no luck. Finally, after about 10 minutes, it just started working again. (just as the Maasai were leaving ) Same thing while on safari and noticed a rare baby albino baboon riding on its mother's back.

Definitely going back to Pentax this week. But I suspect I won't know if they've really fixed the problem until a hot summer day when I'm taking a lot of pictures and the camera overheats.
04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #213

Thought I should update you on my previous post. I took my camera directly to Pentax in Mississauga (Canadian Head Office) and the double shutter issue was happening when I showed the person at reception. She took it back to the Service Department and came back about 10 minutes later saying it was fixed. I was sceptical but she indicated that they had "reset" the software and that took care of it.

Well, I was happy to leave with my camera in my hand and must admit that in the month since then, the problem has not reappeared. Unfortunately, the "freezing" issue that I attributed to the same defect did come back. Just as described in my previous post, the camera just locked up. It happened on a day that I wasn't working so I hopped into my car a drove directly back to Pentax. (1-1/2 hour drive but I wanted to make sure I could show them this intermittent problem live) So it was still freezing when I got to Pentax. They took it back into the mysterious service department again and this time came back to say the freezing issue was not related to the mirror issue, but that it was a warranty issue with a motor.

Now, I use my camera for work and had a scheduled shoot in three days. While I do have a backup K-r that can make use of my prime lenses, it's just not the same. Normal turnaround is three weeks but Pentax did say that they would try and rush it through since it was work related. So on the day of my shoot, they did contact me mid-day to tell me my camera was repaired. Once again, I hopped into my car and drove to Pentax and then straight to my photo-shoot. It worked flawlessly (especially with a nice factory cleaning;-) ) They did replace a motor and some other bits and pieces.

Hopefully everything has been resolved. I love the K-5 but can't afford to have it just suddenly stop. Thank you Pentax for fixing it in such a timely fashion. Nothing personal, but hope I don't have to return any time soon.
04-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #214
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanDriedger Quote
Thought I should update you on my previous post. I took my camera directly to Pentax in Mississauga (Canadian Head Office) and the double shutter issue was happening when I showed the person at reception. She took it back to the Service Department and came back about 10 minutes later saying it was fixed. I was sceptical but she indicated that they had "reset" the software and that took care of it.

Well, I was happy to leave with my camera in my hand and must admit that in the month since then, the problem has not reappeared. Unfortunately, the "freezing" issue that I attributed to the same defect did come back. Just as described in my previous post, the camera just locked up. It happened on a day that I wasn't working so I hopped into my car a drove directly back to Pentax. (1-1/2 hour drive but I wanted to make sure I could show them this intermittent problem live) So it was still freezing when I got to Pentax. They took it back into the mysterious service department again and this time came back to say the freezing issue was not related to the mirror issue, but that it was a warranty issue with a motor.

Now, I use my camera for work and had a scheduled shoot in three days. While I do have a backup K-r that can make use of my prime lenses, it's just not the same. Normal turnaround is three weeks but Pentax did say that they would try and rush it through since it was work related. So on the day of my shoot, they did contact me mid-day to tell me my camera was repaired. Once again, I hopped into my car and drove to Pentax and then straight to my photo-shoot. It worked flawlessly (especially with a nice factory cleaning;-) ) They did replace a motor and some other bits and pieces.

Hopefully everything has been resolved. I love the K-5 but can't afford to have it just suddenly stop. Thank you Pentax for fixing it in such a timely fashion. Nothing personal, but hope I don't have to return any time soon.
Hi

The big difference here in your case is, I think, when you can repeat the malfunction in front of the service staff. My mirror slapping camera was not so cooperative. Even though I was told by PENTAX that my mirror slapping cam was the only one on the planet they had heard of, they fixed it by replacing the main board.

I must say though your PENTAX repairer has performed extra well and this is a big credit to them. It is encouraging to hear a good service report.

Greetings

04-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My K-5..

Received 2/27/2012
Service Warranty Analysis 2/27/2012
Process Hold 3/1/2012
With Estimator 3/2/2012
In Repair 3/8/2012
Parts Hold 3/9/2012
Process Hold 3/12/2012
In Repair 3/13/2012
Process Hold 3/14/2012
In Repair 4/4/2012
Parts Hold 4/4/2012
In Repair 4/6/2012
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #216
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the Mirror run on issue. There's a whole Thread about it in here if you look around. In any case, when you have an operational issue, contact customer support. If there's no over the phone fix, send it in for repair.
04-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #217
Forum Member

For me, this happens ONLY when my battery has been charging overnight. I noticed the Charger said 8.4V and the battery says 7.2V, i don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but i know that the mirrorflapping only happens with a fully charged(overcharged?) battery, and if turn the camera on and off it's fine again 99% of the time. However, one time, i had to use the camera(and battery) for a while before the flapping settled down, so in my book, this definately has got something to do with either the battery or the charger.
04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #218

Well, anything is possible it's not likely a problem with your battery or charger and there is more then one repair for similar type "mirror flop" symptoms.

1. Press any button mirror flop like crazy ---- Main ckt. board
2. various degree of random mirror flops --- Mirror overrun repair ---- I had this and since repair have not had even 1 occurrence!
3. Battery full mirror flop --various degree of how often it happens----Main ckt board---hopefully they check to see if mirror overrun repair is required also so you don't suffer another problem at a latter time.

My conclusions are from people reporting results of their repair, including my own. Since most don't have the "battery full" mirror flop problem--including me--- you should know there is a weak/out of spec component at fault. I would send it in for repair while under warranty rather then pay for repair later if the weak/out of spec component dies. That's me---everybody should make their own decision.

Power regulation of any camera is just that "regulation". It is designed to regulate "design specified" different voltages/current presented to it so they are within camera specification.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-25-2012 at 10:25 AM.
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #219
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
Well, anything is possible but not likely it is a problem with battery or charger and there is more then one repair for similar type "mirror flop" symptoms.

1. Press any button mirror flop like crazy ---- Main ckt. board
2. various degree of random mirror flops --- Mirror overrun repair ---- I had this and since repair have not had even 1 occurrence!
3. Battery full mirror flop --various degree of how often it happens----Main ckt board---hopefully they check to see if mirror overrun repair is required also so you don't suffer another problem at a latter time.

My conclusions are from people reporting results of their repair, including my own. Since most don't have the "battery full" mirror flop problem--including me--- you should know there is a weak/out of spec component at fault. I would send it in for repair while under warranty rather then pay for repair later if the weak/out of spec component dies. That's me---everybody should make their own decision.

Power regulation of any camera is just that "regulation". It is designed to regulate "design specified" different voltages/current presented to it so they are within camera specification.
I charged my battery overnight. This morning before i went to work, i took it out of the charger, but didn't put it in the camera. When i got home, i put the battery in, and took a few pics - it worked smooth. It sounds weird that it should be anything else than a battery/charger-problem, at least in my case. Perhaps there's a bad component somewhere on the circuitboard that can't handle a full battery, i don't know - but it doesn't bother me that much. In any case i'm protected by a 5 year warranty in Norway, and it doesn't really bother me, so i'm not too worried. It's just weird.
04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #220

5 year warranty--nice-- I wouldn't worry over it either with that length of insurance if it does not happen often. Weak/out of spec components that annoy but don't present a bad enough situation to stop the action will mess your mind. Sometimes they just go away or happen really randomly because they are just enough out of spec/weak to be like that. Hi temp days can be a problem for these weak parts also as it stresses them to fail.

Last edited by jcp5; 04-14-2012 at 08:03 AM.
04-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #221
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
I would send it in for repair while under warranty rather then pay for repair later if the weak/out of spec component dies.
Precisely, the camera was not paid for with money that was not quite right, it wasn't money that was just a bit out of specification. It works faultlessly with every bank every time.

QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
...and it doesn't really bother me, so i'm not too worried. It's just weird.
Faults when they start to appear never get better or repair themselves over time, quite the contrary.

Observe "Murphy's Law" which says: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" or "If it can go wrong it will go wrong and it will go wrong at the most inopportune moment" So off to the repair man and have it fixed while you can.

I had my camera's main board replaced and it works faultlessly ever since.

Greetings
04-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #222

I sent my K-5 to customer service for repairing the same slap-mirror issue for the second times. First time I experienced this issue was one month after I bought this K-5 camera. After six months slight usage, same slap-mirror issue happened on my K-5. It always happens when a full charged battery was put into the camera. Originally, I tried to live with it, but the slap-mirror issue just became worse and worse. So, I sent it back to Pentax customer service for 2nd repairing.

This time, Pentax customer service told me that they replace the part, although they didn't tell me which part. I'm wondering if I should sell this camera because its poor build quality. Not to mention there're so many people complaining their K-5 has same mirror/ shutter issue, and Pentax didn't recognize this quality issue on its camera.