Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Hello to you all, I have this problem I solved in my k 5, found Faulty check your original battery, all right now, try new batteries

sorry my english

06-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #62
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
My K-5 is hosed.
Sorry to hear this. I'd suggest sending it back for repairs. You shouldn't have to put up with that happening to you.

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
The problem is Pentax is not solving the issues. It is a dead end with Pentax for me.
You need to switch systems. The grass must be greener on the other side.

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Should this issue ever manifest itself with my K-5 it will be the end of my relationship with Pentax.
You may as well switch systems now. The grass where you are may go brown any day now.

Last edited by Ash; 06-06-2011 at 03:56 AM.
06-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
I think if anyone has a malfunctioning camera, the first thought should be towards sending it back and asking for either a replacement or repairs, citing warranty, and not on "can I fix this?". You end up creating your own problem of dissatisfaction. Indeed it is dissatisfying to have a defective NEW camera, but this increases the more you live with it.

If you feel that this malfunction is so bad that it affects the qualities that made you purchase the brand in the first place, then yes, maybe going for another brand will help, at least to "reset" that "my brand sucks" feeling you have.

I must say I'm wary about my K5 malfunctioning, stains appearing, WR failing and all that. I wasn't as worried on my K7 because I had not heard/read anything on the forum about that model. Everything I heard was great about the K7, at its price point. I traded up to the K5 at a loss, because of all the good things I heard about it. With the posts on this forum, I am sometimes thinking "don't touch it, don't take photos that you don't need to take." On the other hand, I want to enjoy this camera, and as such, I'm assuming that warranty will cover whatever malfunction I discover.
06-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sorry to hear this. I'd suggest sending it back for repairs. You shouldn't have to put up with that happening to you.
I certainly am! Within minutes of writing this forum posting I contacted the camera shop I bought the camera from and they are kind enough to make the process as hassle free as possible. Much thanks to David at Camera Craft in Rockford, IL.

Of course the grass is always greener on the other side, but in turn one should expect a $1500 piece of equipment to work as advertised for the foreseeable future after their purchase.

06-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I should elaborate a bit.

This is my first big issue with a piece of equipment I've had since getting into the Pentax system in 2005.

- The *ist DS I had was flawless and it is still working for the friend who now has it.
- The K10D I had for a short while wasn't that great at focus accuracy, but that was fixed with a trip to the debug menu.
- The K-7 I still have is flawless.
- My two SDM lenses have functioned as advertised so far.

When I was talking with David he wrote something interesting: "I do have a different view on the notion of Pentax losing it's grip on reliability. When I see other branded and much more expensive bodies go through four, five and even six product advisories for much more catastrophic failures, the issues Pentax has had and nicely addressed seem fairly small."

With that comes some clout because he is an owner of a camera shop that sells many brands of camera. I think compared to previous Pentax bodies, the K-5 has had the most serious issues, but compared to other brands of similar or more advanced models that isn't the case.

The point of this thread is to best address an odd debilitating problem with the K-5. I agree that the talk of switching here provides no benefit to the task at hand, which is to document the issue for anyone experiencing it or anyone who will in the future. I have a feeling that this issue isn't one that can be fixed without service, but sometimes ones like the K10D AF accuracy from the factory can be improved without sending the camera to the repair shop.
06-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #66

Your quote from your trusted camera sales person certainly makes me feel better! Thanks for that.
06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You may as well switch systems now. The grass where you are may go brown any day now.
Thanks for the gentle nudge. I expected no less from you.
06-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #68
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Of course the grass is always greener on the other side
Sorry, I meant this sarcastically. I'm a great believer in the grass being greener where it's watered.

06-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #69

AHHHH sjwaldron

Stop showing people the brown grass on the other site :S

QuoteQuote:
"I do have a different view on the notion of Pentax losing it's grip on reliability. When I see other branded and much more expensive bodies go through four, five and even six product advisories for much more catastrophic failures, the issues Pentax has had and nicely addressed seem fairly small."
Now they are completly confused and dont know what to buy
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #70

Well,

After a 3 month wait I finally got my K5 back from it's second vacation at CRIS and guess
what? It is still broken.

Now I have a fight going between CRIS and Pentax over who has the authority to replace the camera.
06-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #71

That just sucks
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mfutrell Quote
Well,
After a 3 month wait I finally got my K5 back from it's second vacation at CRIS and guess
what? It is still broken.
Now I have a fight going between CRIS and Pentax over who has the authority to replace the camera.
What did they do to the camera so far? How did you reproduce the issue after getting it back?
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #73

The first trip to CRIS, they replaced the main PC board.

On this trip, they replaced the Aperature contol unit and the aperature Control
contact pad and brushes.

To reproduce it, I put a lens on the camera and spent about 5 minutes taking pictures. Some in Bursts and some in single shot.
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #74
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like they're not sure what the problem is with your camera mfutrell, just replacing parts in the hope that it will work...

If you're still reproducing the problem it sounds like you have grounds for a body replacement.
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mfutrell Quote
The first trip to CRIS, they replaced the main PC board.

On this trip, they replaced the Aperature contol unit and the aperature Control
contact pad and brushes.

To reproduce it, I put a lens on the camera and spent about 5 minutes taking pictures. Some in Bursts and some in single shot.
Very useful information for the thread, thanks.