Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know it sounds crazy, but if the camera has all of the custom user settings configured, and if the camera samples them before a shot, then it might overwhelm the camera. Say you use the camera in "User" mode, then each time the camera gets ready to fire, it has to determine what user mode is being used and set things accordingly. Since this seems to be intermittent, I think the FW is the cause and not something mechanical per se. I have seen software do these sorts of things when I have not taken into account "above" normal parameters or been too frugal with memory or arrays or parameters.

I'd LOVE to look at the FW and see the code, but there is no way I am going to hack into anything Pentax and be ex-communicated or prosecuted.

Let's hope the Software developers at Pentax can critically think and diagnose their software and not have it "Off-shored" to someone that doesn't know Camera software etc.

06-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #107

Es un problema en el botón de enfoque y disparó, por un exceso de grasa que genera un contacto eléctrico falso.
Las cámaras con este problema, deberán ser enviadas al servicio técnico.

Saludos!
06-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxeros Quote
Es un problema en el botón de enfoque y disparó, por un exceso de grasa que genera un contacto eléctrico falso.
Las cámaras con este problema, deberán ser enviadas al servicio técnico.

Saludos!
From Google Translate.

"It is a problem in the focus button and shot by an excess of fat that creates a false electrical outlet. Cameras with this problem should be sent for service."

My translate?

"It's a problem in the focus/shutter button by some excess debris that creates a short circuit. Cameras with this problem should be sent for service".
07-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #109
Ytr
Inactive Account

Hi. My name is Kris and it's my first post here at pentaxforums. In advance apologise for mistakes.
I have the same problem with my k5. Its my second k5 and it has 4weeks. The first was replaced with a new because of usual sensor defect.

Sometimes my new camera get a bug when a photo is being taken, the mirror seems to do a loud double-clunk. Next I just put light half-pressure on the shutter button and a cam started slapping the mirror and wouldn't stop until turned off, but there is no picture on the card. That has happened several times within 3 weeks.
SN: 404####
Lens: It didn't matter. Kit-lens, sigma 2.8/24, voigtlander 1.4/58, voigtlander 2.5/125.
No grip.
FW: 1.01
Battery: Another k5 body works fine with same (original) battery for 6 months.

The problem is I sent my camera to the service in Poland and they said "They have not found any defects. And if indeed there is a problem, certainly it is a lens/memo card fault, and if so they dont care".
Please let me know which service has confirmed the defect above.

07-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #110

Photos: Gallery
It looks this is not an isolated issue. My K-5 also is doing it. At the beginning I was thinking that this was my fault because I was playing with the 3d party battery grip and since I couldn't remember if the problem existed before using the grip, I was thinking that I damaged the camera. But it looks others have the same problem without using the battery grips.
I hope Pentax will acknowledge this problem and find a solution, hopefully firmware upgrade will fix it.
07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Yeah, got this problem too...
07-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #112
Forum Member

Shutter release button freezed

Hi to all Pentaxians,
last weekend I was visiting the AIR POWER 2011 in Austria, wher i took many great shots of aerobatic displays all the day, I used AF.C and choose continuous shooting in "Hi-mode".
My K-5 really did a great job, was continuously in use and on late afternoon as i pressed the release button the button was frozen, cam was on..the display showing the chosen parameters, i turned my K-5 off, but no reaction, like i could not turn it off!
So i quickly pulled battery out, and in again..and it worked....my cam was instantly ready for continuous shooting again..
had anybody a similar accident?....was it the discharged battery? ...and is it a case to send the K-5 in for service?

Thanks for your advice
greetings from sascha
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CuriousEye Quote
Hi to all Pentaxians,
last weekend I was visiting the AIR POWER 2011 in Austria, wher i took many great shots of aerobatic displays all the day, I used AF.C and choose continuous shooting in "Hi-mode".
My K-5 really did a great job, was continuously in use and on late afternoon as i pressed the release button the button was frozen, cam was on..the display showing the chosen parameters, i turned my K-5 off, but no reaction, like i could not turn it off!
So i quickly pulled battery out, and in again..and it worked....my cam was instantly ready for continuous shooting again..
had anybody a similar accident?....was it the discharged battery? ...and is it a case to send the K-5 in for service?

Thanks for your advice
greetings from sascha
That doesn't sound like our problem. Maybe it was just a software fluke? If it starts to happen frequently, have it checked out...

07-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #114

I am just curious. Has anyone here actually had thier camera succesfully repaired for this
problem? C.R.I.S tried twice with mine. Then they gave up and replaced it.
The first time they replaced the main PC Board. The second time they replaced the
Aperature Control Unit, Aperature Control Contact Pad and Brushes. The engineer in me
would like to know what the real defect is with these cameras.
07-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #115

My replacement still does it.

My first K5 was replaced for a stained sensor by what I suspect is a refurb body that in all ways seems perfect except that it sometimes takes 2 successive captures for one button press.

I cannot reproduce it at will but it seems to happen when I'm squeezing gently to avoid shake although I'm definitely not pressing twice and its not in continuous drive mode.

My first K5 that I returned also did 2 mirror flips but only one capture under the same circumstance.

My K7 does neither of these things and the release button is also firmer in its feel than both of the K5s.

I've tried 2 different genuine batteries (one from the K7), no change.
07-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by mfutrell Quote
I am just curious. Has anyone here actually had thier camera succesfully repaired for this
problem? C.R.I.S tried twice with mine. Then they gave up and replaced it.
The first time they replaced the main PC Board. The second time they replaced the
Aperature Control Unit, Aperature Control Contact Pad and Brushes. The engineer in me
would like to know what the real defect is with these cameras.
I had my K-5 sent back to Pentax Japan for repairing in early June, and a "Release Switch" was replaced, according to the repair invoice.

After a month use, the Mirror Flips issue didn't happen again so far, but I'm not sure if it'll come back latter.

07-11-2011, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #117

Shutter . Mirror Flop

I believe I can confirm that this is a heat related issue with the K5. On every occasion in which this has happened to my K5 the camera was being used outside and the ambient temperature was above 90 degrees.

It has never happened when the camera was at "room temperature". My guess is that there is either some electrical component or mechanical componenet that has a low tolerence for heat.

I just used my K5 inside where the temperature is about 75 degrees.. then took it outside for about a half hour where the temperature is around 98 degrees (who knows what the temp is inside the heat absorbing black body of the camera) and the camera began to exhibit the mirror flop others have talked about.

Brought it back inside and after a 20 minute cool-down the issue did not occur.

I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed if the reapir facility is just replacing the same parts that are heat sensitive. It would appear that no firmware adjustment could handle such a thing either.

I would assume that Pentax has tested the camera in a variety of temperture extremes but maybe not. At any rate, it appears heat inside the camera body is the culprit. It is the only conclusion I can come to based on how the camera reacts to being used in high temperature environments (Texas in Summer).

I certainly hope Pentax will look into this and offer some solution.
07-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #118

sad update pt 2 -- replacement=toast

As posted earlier in this thread, my k5 had this rampaging mirror issue and was in repair for 2 months before they sent a replacement. After 4-5 very brief sessions, the new one did it as well, enough to ruin an afternoon's session with a model. A week later had a good evening, 2-300 pix w/ no issue. then i hurt my hand, don't pick the thing up for 3 wks, now it's doing it all the time -- many different controls cause it, including turning on the camera, turning it off, focusing w/ af button, even just inserting the battery. Seems like most any signal traveling in the camera will cause it. And yes, it's only happened when it's warm out -- but not that warm, it's in the 80's.

there is clearly an electrical problem with this camera. I am 0 for 2 and have hardly had a chance to use the thing(s). Very discouraging, esp.since I have a wedding to do in 4 wks, and that was the main reason i used to justify the upgrade.
07-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #119
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I believe I can confirm that this is a heat related issue with the K5. On every occasion in which this has happened to my K5 the camera was being used outside and the ambient temperature was above 90 degrees.

It has never happened when the camera was at "room temperature". My guess is that there is either some electrical component or mechanical componenet that has a low tolerence for heat.

I just used my K5 inside where the temperature is about 75 degrees.. then took it outside for about a half hour where the temperature is around 98 degrees (who knows what the temp is inside the heat absorbing black body of the camera) and the camera began to exhibit the mirror flop others have talked about.

Brought it back inside and after a 20 minute cool-down the issue did not occur.

I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed if the reapir facility is just replacing the same parts that are heat sensitive. It would appear that no firmware adjustment could handle such a thing either.

I would assume that Pentax has tested the camera in a variety of temperture extremes but maybe not. At any rate, it appears heat inside the camera body is the culprit. It is the only conclusion I can come to based on how the camera reacts to being used in high temperature environments (Texas in Summer).

I certainly hope Pentax will look into this and offer some solution.
This does make sense Jim. It seems a lot of folks (I won't say all ) are starting to have this problem and guess what its summer time for many now who bought it during the winter.
07-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder, if the specifications say that the camera can operate between -10°C to +40 °C, then does it mean ambient temperature or inside the camera?
could someone, possibly Jim check the temperature in PhotoMe please?
like-when it is 30°C in the shade, the camera would be the same temperature...but on direct sun with metal DA* lens attached, it could easily overheat much more over those 40°C