Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't think it's temp related

Maybe for some but not for me.
I used my K5 for about 4 months with no problem
I started seeing this issue right after I installed freshly charged batteries.
I was inside with an ambient temp of about 70f.
I spent 2 weeks in Washington state where the temperature never rose above 75. I have had this issue in sunlight, overcast, night time, indoors and outdoors. It seems to abate a lot as the batteries drain.
When I install freshly charged batteries the condition starts up again

07-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
I spent 2 weeks in Washington state where the temperature never rose above 75. I have had this issue in sunlight, overcast, night time, indoors and outdoors. It seems to abate a lot as the batteries drain.
Good to hear this but my issues seem to persist whether the battery is fresh or showing half drained. It is a very confusing and puzzling issue as no one can seem to lock down exactly what is causing the problem.
07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #123
Site Supporter

Temperature..

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
could someone, possibly Jim check the temperature in PhotoMe please?
I will download Photome when I get home and check the temp in the camera from the shots I was taking when the shutter issue began.
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #124

Called CRIS and they said its awaiting 4 different parts..including the circuit board. Estimated time is unknown..maybe weeks.

07-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

service

I just spoke to somebody at pentax service dept. They said this was the first they've heard of the problem?!
I guess I'm going to send it in.
I just wish I had confidence that it will come back repaired.
07-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #126
Site Supporter

I am surprised...

I just spoke to somebody at pentax service dept. They said this was the first they've heard of the problem?!
Hmmmm, that's pretty amazing juding by how many times it has appeared in forums. I could understand their response if only you and I had the issue but it appears to be a bit more widespread than just the two of us.

Well, now they've heard of it.. let's see what they do. I'm going to download Photome in a few minutes and get the camera temp and some other info.
07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #127
Site Supporter

EXIF / Temp Data during Runaway Shutter

Just checked the Exif on one of the shots taken during the Runaway Shutter the other day using PhotoME and the camera temerature was 36C or 97F. Subsequent shots became even hotter: ranging from 37C to 40C That's 99 to 104 degrees.

Does this prove heat is the cause of the issue? No, but the longer I used the camera outside in the heat, the worse the issue became... back in the car for thirty minutes with air conditioning and the camera functioned properly.. I dunno.

The lens being used at the time was the DA * 16-50mm.

Last edited by Jim Radcliffe; 07-12-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added a thought..
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #128

I have K5 for a little longer than 2 months, and after recharging my batteries the strange mirror having a little mind of its own started. Also I can't find any relation to temperature.
07-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #129

I have been having the mirror slapping around randomly a few times in the last week but today is a sad day as the shutter started firing all by itself. I will check into the temperature situation because it was another 105 day but this is still unacceptable.

There was no actual photo taken or at least stored however. This was caused by trying a half press on the shutter for AF and even trying to change the ISO or EV.

The batteries are Pentax, as is the grip.

Last edited by KansasHorizons.com; 07-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Just checked the Exif on one of the shots taken during the Runaway Shutter the other day using PhotoME and the camera temerature was 36C or 97F. Subsequent shots became even hotter: ranging from 37C to 40C That's 99 to 104 degrees.

Does this prove heat is the cause of the issue? No, but the longer I used the camera outside in the heat, the worse the issue became... back in the car for thirty minutes with air conditioning and the camera functioned properly.. I dunno.

The lens being used at the time was the DA * 16-50mm.
thanks for checking
that is really hot
what does the manual says..."Do not subject the camera to high temperatures.."
well...there is a lot of funny stuff just like "Avoid contact with ...sand... water...this could cause breakdown" "do not store the battery fully charged"

this malfunction is clearly a bug
07-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #131
Veteran Member

You think it is firmware and not hardware? Why would it happen on only a handful of cameras though?

From all that has been said so far, my guess is that the shutter release button on/off switches are faulty or it's a power problem.
07-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
You think it is firmware and not hardware? Why would it happen on only a handful of cameras though?

From all that has been said so far, my guess is that the shutter release button on/off switches are faulty or it's a power problem.
sorry I did not said it properly, by bug I ment not firmware trouble but hardware...
maybe there was a bad production batch?

Last edited by stanic; 07-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.
07-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
Hmmmm, that's pretty amazing juding by how many times it has appeared in forums. I could understand their response if only you and I had the issue but it appears to be a bit more widespread than just the two of us.

Well, now they've heard of it.. let's see what they do. I'm going to download Photome in a few minutes and get the camera temp and some other info.
My K5 played a lot while on a recent US trip. Sent it back 3 weeks ago to Pentax here in Australia and claim they have never heard of it as well. My camera actually took photos even when I was holding the camera.Walking along with it on a shoulder strap and got pics of other peoples legs and the ground. Even took pics while car was moving and lens cap on.It would also lock up and any button or menu made a noise like the mirror slapping. I gave Pentax the whole lot back, camera acessories the lot. Used the camera on a tripod with 2 second delay and remote and hear a clunk noise and end up with a out of focus shot. Waiting on a reply as to what they find.
John
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #134

K5 Fail

Temp at the time of my errors yesterday was 34 C / 93 F - I don't think heat is the issue.

Firmware: 1.03.22.11

MFG Date: 02 18 2011

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I have been having the mirror slapping around randomly a few times in the last week but today is a sad day as the shutter started firing all by itself. I will check into the temperature situation because it was another 105 day but this is still unacceptable.

There was no actual photo taken or at least stored however. This was caused by trying a half press on the shutter for AF and even trying to change the ISO or EV.

The batteries are Pentax, as is the grip.
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #135
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Temp at the time of my errors yesterday was 34 C / 93 F - I don't think heat is the issue.

Firmware: 1.03.22.11

MFG Date: 02 18 2011
You may be right.. I went out for a bit today in 101 degree weather and the camera performed as it should, no issues at all... although I was not out very long. Camera may not have reached the outdoor ambient temperature.

My previous thought that it was heat related problem was based on the issue only happening when I was outside in 95 to 100+ temperatures.. during those times I was out for an extended period of time. The issue never has occured indoors.

It is truly a mystery and may not be easily solved if one cannot force the issue to happen with a given set of circumstances and settings.