Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
my issue is exactly like darrenleow's. I'm curious if Darrenleow put in a new battery if it disappeared, but putting back that battery resulted in the same issue. Thou looking back at the bideo he has a full battery. I don't think its a heat issue as in heat generated in a normal way as I've had it happen when not in use for some time. If could be from heat generated by a short or some other electrical issue however. But I'm not a camera maker and no nothing of these things.
I reinserted the battery but the camera continued to behave like that until it just stopped all of a sudden. The camera works fine now, at least until the next time it acts up.

06-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
My K-5 decided to go totally crazy on me today, by far the most serious glitch episode so far.
Ricehigh suggested that it might be hotter temperatures that are causing such problems, and it might be possible, since Chicago just became really hot recently
It might be about time to send the camera to Pentax for servicing. Pity.
A little rough in that video..........

I had a similar issue on Monday and I live 90 miles from Chicago. Two weekends ago I had used the camera for a full 3-day weekend convention without any issues (say 1600 actuations). I take the camera out after it sat in a half open bag for a week. It was warm out and the lens I was using had not been used for a long time (10-17mm fisheye).

I had the 100mm f2.8 wr with me but I can't remember if it happened when I switched to that lens or not.

All I did was turn the camera off. Pull the battery out. Take the lens off and clean the contacts. I also cycled the aperture lever on the lens a few times by hand. Camera worked fine after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by mfutrell Quote
After 2 months a CRIS for this exact problem mine supposedly is shipping back today. They said thet they did the following

REPLACED APERTURE CONTROL UNIT
REPLACED APERTURE CONTROL CONTACT PAD AND BRUSHES
That makes me think my issue was a combination of the lens and weather or some type of infrequent firmware issue.
06-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reinserted the battery but the camera continued to behave like that until it just stopped all of a sudden. The camera works fine now, at least until the next time it acts up.
I am at that stage as well, the funny thing is the camera store I purchased it from is willing to replace it, but I can't show them what's wrong atm. I guess I'll have take a ton of photos and try to get it going again.
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #49

I hate to say it like this but I hope the problem comes back for you to be able to replace it.

06-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I am at that stage as well, the funny thing is the camera store I purchased it from is willing to replace it, but I can't show them what's wrong atm. I guess I'll have take a ton of photos and try to get it going again.
Well it would be difficult to make the problem come up on demand, so I'd recommend you take a video of the malfunction and show that to them if the camera seems to be working fine. When I send mine in to Pentax it will be accompanied by an SD card containing the videos that I had uploaded. That way even if they can't replicate it, they'll at least know what's going on.
06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #51

K-5 - Clicking noise on every user action

I have created this account only to post in this thread because of the frustration this issue has caused me in the hope that the more user information the faster the resolution. First found under K-5 - Clicking noise on every user action
Gear:
K-5
50-135 da*
16-50da*
35 macro ltd.
standard issue battery/ no grip
sandisk 8gb class 10
kingston 32gb class 10

Testing:
I have tested every combination of the above gear(including all firmware version) in order to isolate the issue.

Issue happens intermittently on casual use. For the sake of testing I tried most user actions the k-5 has available.
"Disclaimer: this is how I induced it on my k-5, yours maybe different"
Quickest way to induce issue is to set shutter speed high and continuous shooting on high and
usually by the 7th(average result sometimes not till frame 20) frame the shutter will sound like it is firing twice every shot. (This happens at any and all battery % charge, every mem stick[even tried formatting], every lens, every iso, every apt, any focus, any format, any focal length)

Under normal conditions and casual use most frequent occurrence seems to happen when battery is fully charged.

Notes:
When issue occurs and I turn off the camera, shutter will usually fire 3 times but sometimes only once(still trying to isolate the different circumstances that cause the different number)

After the camera is off if I remove the battery and put it back in the shutter will fire once, even though the camera is off. Repeat and sometimes happens indefinitely. To stop this I remove the battery and then the mem card and then replace battery then replace mem card.

Sometimes when issue occurs every user action will cause shutter to fire, sometimes only half pressing the shutter release will cause it to fire. When holding down in halfpress shutter fires indefinitely.

Seems very random, even under stringent testing there remains lots of variability as to how issue occurs leading me to believe that it is somehow related to excess current from battery (not a pentax engineer that is a educated guess based on my experience and my basis testing, as battery level falls it seems to take longer to induce issue)

Apologies for the length of the post, not a regular forum user, just becoming exceedingly aggravated by this issue and its effect on my photography. I hope that others will attempt similar testing and post results to spur Pentax into resolving this problem and providing useful information.

ps in an effort to consolidate user input I am including the first place I found this issue online and keywords for seo. found here K-5 - Clicking noise on every user action
06-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #52

Random mirror slapping

I have noticed similar mirror slapping in a random fashion, however it is occuring at increasing frequency and duration. The K5 in question is a replacement for a sensor stained unit. My original K5 had no mirror problem. I have access to another K5 with firmware version 1.03 also, it functions perfectly. Thank you darrenleow for posting your video, I note when your mirror slap occured, the settings were shutter speed 1/125 and f8.0. I have noticed that EVERY time my errent K5 starts firing randomly it changes my settings to these EXACT settings. It will fire randomly with almost any button push, info, menu, off etc. Batteries are pentax originals. No battery grip. Today the problem escalated to the point that I was unable to take pictures. Is this a software or hardware problem? Will I have to return my K5 yet again? Can it be fixed by a firmware upgrade?
My K-5 decided to go totally crazy on me today, by far the most serious glitch episode so far. At one point every button press and dial movement would trip the mirror/shutter. Removing the battery, grip and card did nothing to solve the problem. Later on, it became fine again, but the issue came back when I attempted to do a custom WB setting.

YouTube - ‪Pentax K-5 shutter glitch‬‏

A couple of minutes later, the K-5 glitched in the usual way by doing the "double slap" but this time it was far more often than before. I also confirmed that while the K-5 was glitching, the image in the viewfinder appeared very OOF, but when it stopped glitching it became sharp again. The lens did not refocus during this time, so it definitely involves some misalignment somewhere.

YouTube - ‪Pentax K-5 Shutter glitch‬‏

Ricehigh suggested that it might be hotter temperatures that are causing such problems, and it might be possible, since Chicago just became really hot recently, and this episode today happened after I cycled in the mid-day sunlight for about 10 minutes with the camera in a black backpack.

It might be about time to send the camera to Pentax for servicing. Pity.

06-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #53
Inactive Account

I am having the opposite problem. But it is interesting to read about the heat problem. I did not starting having problems with mine until it started heating up here. Wow....
Pentax is really not a very good camera. Beautiful pics and spoiled me. But it just cannot take the rigors of heavy use. Just to many problems... Ahhhhh
Funny I used to complain about Sigma lens with Pentax. Now with Sigma fixing my lenses. Havent had an issue with them, Now the tide has turned.. LOL.. Man what a joke.
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #54
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're finding that your cameras are displaying bizarre behaviour not becoming of a normally functioning camera, take your camera back to your local repairer/vendor under warranty and get it sorted out.

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Pentax is really not a very good camera. Beautiful pics and spoiled me. But it just cannot take the rigors of heavy use
Making claims like this are not only presumptuous, they are inherently false. While your own copy may have failed you, this is not a failure of the company or its collective products. It's not the end of the world. Get your body fixed under warranty. No loss to you other that time without the camera. If you need a camera all the time, you'd have gotten yourself a backup.

Last edited by Ash; 06-04-2011 at 12:57 AM.
06-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Work on the solution rather than complaining about it on a forum. Please, enough...
Part of posting on the forum is to gather information on whether other people have faced similar problems, and what their experiences have been so far with the defective cameras and how Pentax is dealing with the situation. I'm quite surprised that in several cases, Pentax has spent more than a couple of months but still unable to rectify the problem, and that's some information that's only been revealed to me through this thread. I think there has been enough trouble regarding low-light AF and sensor stains that have affected K-5 early adopters that we understandably want to see if this is a widespread problem or an isolated case.

My K-5 is acting up erratically but not frequently enough for me to chance not having it for the next couple of months. I'll send it in for repair and live with my K20D while it's gone, but there's nothing wrong documenting the glitches over a period of time and sharing it with others.

That said, I too disagree with garyk's dismissal of the K-5 just because of a few faulty units. I'm frustrated when it glitches but apart from that the K-5 is a fine camera and I'm hoping to get it fixed sooner rather than later. So I see where you're coming from, but I don't think you're being fair when you address everyone who's posted on this thread so far. Not everyone's whining here.
06-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back to the topic: Today my K-5 acted up a bit and did the "double-slap" a couple of times, but nothing major. Also, turning the camera off and back on didn't cause the exposure to be reset to f/8 1/125s, which is good.
06-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #57
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I see where you're coming from, but I don't think you're being fair when you address everyone who's posted on this thread so far. Not everyone's whining here
My apologies Darren, I should have made it clear that I wasn't addressing everyone in my post. I appreciate the value in fora such as this one in problem-solving, as it has done for me many times over. Some problems such as yours are difficult to replicate and makes it nearly impossible to work out. But keep observing it - is the double slap occurring after an operation or action, or is it unpredictable/random?
06-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #58
Inactive Account

The problem is Pentax is not solving the issues. It is a dead end with Pentax for me.
Just an extremly poor camera. The K-5. I love my K-x and go back to it often now.
06-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #59

I think I've had enough as well. Should this issue ever manifest itself with my K-5 it will be the end of my relationship with Pentax.
06-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Okay, I was wrong. My K-5 is hosed. I went to an airshow today and it flipped out quite a few times and I could only wait for it to "fix" itself. Tried taking battery out, actuating some of the levers and things without luck. I have 4 batteries and one of them seemed to work better with the camera than the other three. After I used that one, I switched it out and the issues came back in force. I forced myself to use the camera throughout the airshow and it flipped out two or three few minute spans of time. Along with the button press shutter issue it did make those heavy double shutter sounds when taking some photos.