Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #76

I had the same mirror disorder issue on my K-5 with nearly 2000 shots only. Sent the camera back to Pentax Japan Service center for repair, and just get it back yesterday (it took about 1 week for the repairing).

According to the Invoice, it said a "Release Switch" was replaced. Although the repair is free, I still pretty upset about K-5's quality. I also have my LCD cleaned as the everywhere dust underneath the screen...

06-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #77
Inactive Account

06-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
wow silver edition even.
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I read some of these problems, it frightens me. I've got a big trip coming up and I'd hate to have this crop up while on it. I will be bringing a 2nd camera, but I hope if any of these issues end up plaguing me, it won't be until August! LOL

06-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kawagią Quote
What was the settings on the camera? shutter speed, ect. Was the battery fully charge or low?Are you able to incite it to happen when you want or is it pretty random?
06-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #81
Inactive Account

hello, just random, battery charge, on all camera settings
06-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #82

I have similar problem....

I was on vacation last week to New Orleans. While shooting the plantaion I noticed that the the camera took 2-3 shots everytime I took a picture. I did not have continuous shooting enabled. It just triggered multiple shutter actions upon pressing the shutter button. It happened couple of times..When I got home and downloaded the pics..I could see duplicate pics...it was not just random mirror slap..now reading this thread my paranoia has kicked in. My S/N is 400XXXXXX manuf date in Feb 2011. Got it in April. As more people join the chorus the imbeciles at Pentax would wake up and issue a recall or something. Its frustrating....from day 1 issue after other....It was supposed to be load and shoot and reload.....huh....

06-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #83

Boy am I glad I sold my K-7 and got a K20D instead.

QC has been progressively worse since the introduction of the K-7 and this thread just proves it even more.

PENTAX/HOYA you better be reading this and take your head out of your ass, you are very close to losing a large number of customers. Current AND future.
06-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #84

Just like in the video above...
I have the same problem that happening on my K-5. Original Pentax battery. the clunk was occurring more and more often. Today it died completely - would not get the mirror up at all. I mean for neither the usual shooting modes, nor video, LV, or M.UP. DEAD. I mean it turns on, all well until you try to press the shutter button. Then it quickly says "battery depleted" (it was full a minute ago )) ) and turn itself off. That is the body I got as a replacement for a body with stained sensor.
06-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
PENTAX/HOYA you better be reading this and take your head out of your ass
I have to agree, UNLESS the repair/replacement (counting - third K5 body in my possession) of the faulty (the second K5 body) camera is not very quick and painless and the camera is flawless for 2 years AT LEAST I am off out to the canikon street for digital. I'll keep some lenses and bodies for film fun, but A LOT of Pentax stuff will be up for sale.

If this is the kind of quality their FLAGSHIP model shows... My Kx, however, is still going strong (gave it to my wife, so not mine any more ) Well, she lets me use it while K5 is being sorted.
06-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #86

oh yeah, the camera info

SN 3952***
manufacturing date (given by PhotoME) 2010-11-24
firmware 1.03.22.11
06-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #87

Pentax seems to have made "shutter release button" and "Lens release button falling off" problems part of their Brand. Viewing "Similar Threads" in this form you can see exactly the same problems going back many models
Too bad. They bring some really great camera models to the market place. My K5 is a really fine camera that fits me really well ---when it works--and isn't stuck in a repair cycle.

Last edited by jcp5; 06-14-2011 at 01:33 AM.
06-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
Veteran Member

A Palpitating Pentax, just great!

Nothing is perfect in life. Still, this brand is dissappointing sometimes.
06-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #89
Inactive Account

a good story, substitute my K5
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Okay, I was wrong. My K-5 is hosed. I went to an airshow today and it flipped out quite a few times and I could only wait for it to "fix" itself. Tried taking battery out, actuating some of the levers and things without luck. I have 4 batteries and one of them seemed to work better with the camera than the other three. After I used that one, I switched it out and the issues came back in force. I forced myself to use the camera throughout the airshow and it flipped out two or three few minute spans of time. Along with the button press shutter issue it did make those heavy double shutter sounds when taking some photos.
My K-7 would sometimes take 2-3 shots with careful push on the shutter release but never that sort of thing. We'll see what the k-5 is like this summer. I have two fly-ins under my belt so far this month without a problem, so I continue to hope. I cannot imagine sending the camera in until the season ends.

Now that you mention airshows, this is one more reason to haul around two bodies at them. Likely to be aircraft and people and events you'll not see again. I use the Blackrapid Double with K-5 on one side and K-7 or K-X on the other. Now I'll have to bring all three bodies to be sure I always have two working. Sigh ....

Thank you, Lowepro!

Last edited by glanglois; 06-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.