Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Since you're still shooting the DL2, you're obviously a value-oriented guy. In that case, I'd say go with the K7
Well that's one option. But the choice is not merely between the k-7 and the k-5. Since the D2L is an entry level, non-WR camera, there's no compelling reason to select the k-7 over the k-r or the k-x. In other words, if you can't afford the k-5, the better option might be the k-r rather than the k-7. The k-7 will give you a substantial upgrade in terms of features but less of an upgrade in terms of sensor performance. The k-r will give you more of an upgrade in sensor performance and less in features. Best of all is the k-5, which will give you a substantial upgrade both in sensor performance and feature set.

05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I disagree Wheatfield.....Surprise!
No surprise that you neither read my post not the OPs post either.
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No surprise that you neither read my post not the OPs post either.
That's just not true Wheatfield, I read them both....real fast! If I was taking a test I would get a Zero, but I would be out on the playground while others were still reading. Gotta love that part of it!

Regards!
05-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

He's got you there Wheatfield!

NaCl(I tried speed weeding once, pulled up everything in the bed, got to go play earlier too!...until my dad found out)H2O

05-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #20

the K-5 is my first DSLR...........i can't compare it to anything before that....that being said, it *is* worth the extra coin. seems like you've used your ist until now.....the K-5 i believe should serve you in a similar manner for many years
05-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Well that's one option. But the choice is not merely between the k-7 and the k-5. Since the D2L is an entry level, non-WR camera, there's no compelling reason to select the k-7 over the k-r or the k-x. In other words, if you can't afford the k-5, the better option might be the k-r rather than the k-7. The k-7 will give you a substantial upgrade in terms of features but less of an upgrade in terms of sensor performance. The k-r will give you more of an upgrade in sensor performance and less in features. Best of all is the k-5, which will give you a substantial upgrade both in sensor performance and feature set.
+1 I have to agree with Greg. The K-r might be a better fit than the K-5. IIRC the D2L doesn't have shake reduction, a penta mirror instead of a penta prism, and basically the feature set of the istD. The K-x, K-r, K-7 and the K-5 will all have many features the DL2 lacks, starting with shake reduction. A new body only K-r body only can easily be found for under $600, significantly below the price of a K-7. I don't own either camera, but if I remember my specs correctly, the K-r beats the K-7 on high ISO and on DR. The K-7 has the extra e-dial, a penta prism instead of a penta mirror.

NaCl(my advice to the OP would be to look at the K-r also)H2O
05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you care about low-light shooting or high dynamic range, the K-5 is definitely worth it. If not, the K-7's a good buy. Or perhaps you should consider the K-r
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
the K-5 is my first DSLR...........i can't compare it to anything before that....that being said, it *is* worth the extra coin. seems like you've used your ist until now.....the K-5 i believe should serve you in a similar manner for many years
That was my exact thought as well - the IST series have long been discontinued, and if one has served the OP for this amount of time, the K-5 will easily do the same. The k10d was a big leap from the IST series in form and function - I'd say the K-5 makes the same jump. Given that track record, it'll be another couple years before another Pentax makes a monumental leap. Given the OP skipped the K10, they should be good with the K-5 until about 2017!

05-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
2017, ey? that's only 200 euros per year then
05-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

NaCl(I tried speed weeding once, pulled up everything in the bed, got to go play earlier too!...until my dad found out)H2O
OT- But it reminds me once when I sent a helper (plumbing) to get access to go under a home that had a bad water line leak. There was a flower bed with some exotic bushes, and instead of working around them he just cut them all down! Cost me a bundle....cost him his job.
Best Regards!
05-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Reading without comprehension.
Why bother reading in the first place?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
OT- But it reminds me once when I sent a helper (plumbing) to get access to go under a home that had a bad water line leak. There was a flower bed with some exotic bushes, and instead of working around them he just cut them all down! Cost me a bundle....cost him his job.
Best Regards!
What the heck is it with plumbers?
The guy that came in and did the work on my house took a sawzall to a floor joist and cut about 75% of the way through the thing to make a notch which he then didn't use anyway.
The biggest problem I've seen on houses when I was doing renovations was stupid stuff that the plumbers had done WRT cutting structure.
05-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You won't be happy until you get a K-5...

Do it...

Get it!

You'll love it...
05-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Reading without comprehension.
Why bother reading in the first place?

What the heck is it with plumbers?
The guy that came in and did the work on my house took a sawzall to a floor joist and cut about 75% of the way through the thing to make a notch which he then didn't use anyway.
The biggest problem I've seen on houses when I was doing renovations was stupid stuff that the plumbers had done WRT cutting structure.
Because they don't know what they are doing and don't care either. Like painters that paint your car along with your house, or electricians that fall through your ceiling, or any other tradesmen that are in it only for the money and take no pride in their work.
I've seen a lot of changes in the last 50 years, and most of it has to do with a lack of pride in workmanship.
BTW- I had more customers than most anyone, and complaints were very rare, and quickly resolved. 25 years and a not a dime spent on advertising.....all word of mouth/referrals. You only get that by doing it right...the first time.
Regards!
05-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That is another good option.
05-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I recently moved from a K20D to K-7. While I've been very happy with my new camera, I admit I still wanted a K-5, probably because everyone else who shot Pentax seemed to have it. But lately, as I've been using my K-7 more and more, my desire for the K-5 has actually diminished somewhat knowing that K-7 does a lot of what I need.

So I'd like to think that I am staying put for now, until such a time as when I either run into a great deal on a K-5, or when I've have had a bit too much of Bourbon and my credit card just happens to be handy

My conclusion is that K-7 is a damn good camera no matter where you are coming from, unless you are coming from a K-5, especially at the price it is selling for these days -- new or used.