Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is it worth it?

Hi guys. I'm still on a IstDL2 and am thinking of finally upgrading.

The K7 retails at around 750 euros while the K5 costs around 1200. The question is: is the K-5 so much better that it justifies the difference in price?

05-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely, I would go to k-5 given a choice or else k-r/k-x. No No to k-7 for me.
05-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Vale bem a diferença!
05-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely, positively. The difference in function and ease of use, as well as the huge gain in pixels ( makes cropping so easy!) and the many, many, more advanced features will astound you.
You will have to go slow for a day or two, after the initial K5 experience, you may get light headed and "girl-giddy"......nothing to be ashamed of, it just happens with the K5.
Best Regards!

05-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would, just for the high ISO. The pictures people on the forums have taken with the K5 at high ISO astound me. I wish my K20D could resolve pictures a 1/10th as well.
05-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If you either tend to or want to explore shooting at stupidly high ISO, or have a tendency to shoot in very hard light conditions, then the K5 is well worth the money.
If you always shoot at low ISO under less aggressive or more controlled light conditions, such as in the studio, the K5 offers much less advantage
05-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you either tend to or want to explore shooting at stupidly high ISO, or have a tendency to shoot in very hard light conditions, then the K5 is well worth the money.
If you always shoot at low ISO under less aggressive or more controlled light conditions, such as in the studio, the K5 offers much less advantage
I disagree Wheatfield.....Surprise! The DL2 is a fine camera for what it does, and like my DS, it produces excellent photos. When I use the DS, which is almost never now, the things I miss most are not on a short list...but a long one.

* Bigger & brighter LCD...no more squinting to see what you got!
*Much faster AF and rapid shooting ability
*Menu options galore
*Full function dials that allow rapid change in settings and more broad customizations to fit your needs
*Lens correction that will allow the best calibration for the lens that might be off a little
*Higher resolution, allows you to recompose in processing and still have tons of pixels for printing.

I could easily fill up the entire page with the improvements, and each one enhances the other. Then we get to the high ISO abilities......amazing, and though not necessarily useful for those like my Canon friend that swears he has never left ISO 100 even once in his life, he has many thousands of shots he never got that even a pure beginner can get with the K5. Valuable? Shot or no shot at all....you tell me?

I can assure you my DS would have never got this shot for me on a dark misty and cloudy morning......sure, it is not perfect, but it prints very nicely, and most of all, I got it! I don't have to say "Wow! You should have seen the colorful bird I saw this morning.....wish I could have shot it."
Over in the K5 Photo thread, there are many more examples, much better and more spectacular at even higher ISO's....take a look!
Best Regards

1/125 (Speed...you can get speed!) F6.7 @500mm ISO 12, 800

[IMG] [/IMG]

05-18-2011, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I disagree Wheatfield.....Surprise! The DL2 is a fine camera for what it does, and like my DS, it produces excellent photos. When I use the DS, which is almost never now, the things I miss most are not on a short list...but a long one.

* Bigger & brighter LCD...no more squinting to see what you got!
*Much faster AF and rapid shooting ability
*Menu options galore
*Full function dials that allow rapid change in settings and more broad customizations to fit your needs
*Lens correction that will allow the best calibration for the lens that might be off a little
*Higher resolution, allows you to recompose in processing and still have tons of pixels for printing.

I could easily fill up the entire page with the improvements, and each one enhances the other. Then we get to the high ISO abilities......amazing, and though not necessarily useful for those like my Canon friend that swears he has never left ISO 100 even once in his life, he has many thousands of shots he never got that even a pure beginner can get with the K5. Valuable? Shot or no shot at all....you tell me?

I can assure you my DS would have never got this shot for me on a dark misty and cloudy morning......sure, it is not perfect, but it prints very nicely, and most of all, I got it! I don't have to say "Wow! You should have seen the colorful bird I saw this morning.....wish I could have shot it."
Over in the K5 Photo thread, there are many more examples, much better and more spectacular at even higher ISO's....take a look!
Best Regards

1/125 (Speed...you can get speed!) F6.7 @500mm ISO 12, 800

[/url] [/IMG]

But the OP asked for a comparison between the k-5 and the k-7..
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What he said.

From the DL2 to K7, image quality should be a little better, but not a quantum leap. High ISO will be about the same, maybe slightly better. Handling and all the functions on the K7 will be much improved. You'll get all that plus insane high ISO shots with the K5. Only you know whether or not that ability is worth $450 extra cost.
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

+1 mrt10x, He did!
rojaba is making the leap and wants to know which way to jump.

Unlike me, as I said, I will be turning the lights out in the ist club.
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
But the OP asked for a comparison between the k-5 and the k-7..
Well damn! That Speed-Reading has tripped me up once again! Is there anyone here that can Exorcise that speed reading course from my mind? I speed read Mrs Rupertt's E-mail the other day...and the next thing you know her allowance was up $75 a week.......said I agreed to it. I'll be damned, read it again, and I sure enough did!

Best Regards & My apologies....but I do stand by my evaluation...if you are shooting with a DL!!

Best Regards!
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #12

I guess my point was that Rupert seemed to be comparing the ist to to the k-5 when the OP really was asking if the k-5 was worth twice the coin of the K-7..therefore rupert's comparison was off the mark.. dont want that be interpreted as a snipe,, I love Rupert's photos and input, some of his posts conviced me to buy my K-5 last week... replacing a K-7...and a k-20 and a K-10..
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well I will not sleep tonight, Rupert,
Until I admit to you that
I too was clacking out a short reply centred on
worth upgrading an ist till I saw MRT10x.
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just upgraded from K-7 to K-5, and it's absolutely great because I really needed the expanded dynamic range and ISO, as well as the autofocus. If none of these are critical for your type of photography, then save the money and apply it towards a lens.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thinking more about this....

Since you're still shooting the DL2, you're obviously a value-oriented guy. In that case, I'd say go with the K7 since it will still be a very substantial upgrade from your DL2. If you've been happy with your DL2 for this time, you'll love the K7. Better AF, many more features, live view, video (you say you won't use them...but you'll use them eventually), more resolution, more shooting modes, on and on.

As for the K5, yes it's better, and possibly worth the extra if you shoot high ISO and need the extra DR. But by that token, you could just jump to the D700...or the D3s, or the 645D. More money will almost always get you more "something". In this case, though, I think the upgrade from the DL2 to the K7 will be substantial, AND you'll save money. More money for lenses.