Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brussels
Photos: Albums
Posts: 116
Is it worth it?

Hi guys. I'm still on a IstDL2 and am thinking of finally upgrading.

The K7 retails at around 750 euros while the K5 costs around 1200. The question is: is the K-5 so much better that it justifies the difference in price?

05-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,450
Absolutely, I would go to k-5 given a choice or else k-r/k-x. No No to k-7 for me.
05-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Coimbra
Posts: 2
Vale bem a diferença!
05-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,010
Absolutely, positively. The difference in function and ease of use, as well as the huge gain in pixels ( makes cropping so easy!) and the many, many, more advanced features will astound you.
You will have to go slow for a day or two, after the initial K5 experience, you may get light headed and "girl-giddy"......nothing to be ashamed of, it just happens with the K5.
Best Regards!

05-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member
chalion's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Photos: Albums
Posts: 628
I would, just for the high ISO. The pictures people on the forums have taken with the K5 at high ISO astound me. I wish my K20D could resolve pictures a 1/10th as well.
05-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
If you either tend to or want to explore shooting at stupidly high ISO, or have a tendency to shoot in very hard light conditions, then the K5 is well worth the money.
If you always shoot at low ISO under less aggressive or more controlled light conditions, such as in the studio, the K5 offers much less advantage
05-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you either tend to or want to explore shooting at stupidly high ISO, or have a tendency to shoot in very hard light conditions, then the K5 is well worth the money.
If you always shoot at low ISO under less aggressive or more controlled light conditions, such as in the studio, the K5 offers much less advantage
I disagree Wheatfield.....Surprise! The DL2 is a fine camera for what it does, and like my DS, it produces excellent photos. When I use the DS, which is almost never now, the things I miss most are not on a short list...but a long one.

* Bigger & brighter LCD...no more squinting to see what you got!
*Much faster AF and rapid shooting ability
*Menu options galore
*Full function dials that allow rapid change in settings and more broad customizations to fit your needs
*Lens correction that will allow the best calibration for the lens that might be off a little
*Higher resolution, allows you to recompose in processing and still have tons of pixels for printing.

I could easily fill up the entire page with the improvements, and each one enhances the other. Then we get to the high ISO abilities......amazing, and though not necessarily useful for those like my Canon friend that swears he has never left ISO 100 even once in his life, he has many thousands of shots he never got that even a pure beginner can get with the K5. Valuable? Shot or no shot at all....you tell me?

I can assure you my DS would have never got this shot for me on a dark misty and cloudy morning......sure, it is not perfect, but it prints very nicely, and most of all, I got it! I don't have to say "Wow! You should have seen the colorful bird I saw this morning.....wish I could have shot it."
Over in the K5 Photo thread, there are many more examples, much better and more spectacular at even higher ISO's....take a look!
Best Regards

1/125 (Speed...you can get speed!) F6.7 @500mm ISO 12, 800

[IMG] [/IMG]
05-18-2011, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
mrt10x's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodland Park CO
Posts: 102
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I disagree Wheatfield.....Surprise! The DL2 is a fine camera for what it does, and like my DS, it produces excellent photos. When I use the DS, which is almost never now, the things I miss most are not on a short list...but a long one.

* Bigger & brighter LCD...no more squinting to see what you got!
*Much faster AF and rapid shooting ability
*Menu options galore
*Full function dials that allow rapid change in settings and more broad customizations to fit your needs
*Lens correction that will allow the best calibration for the lens that might be off a little
*Higher resolution, allows you to recompose in processing and still have tons of pixels for printing.

I could easily fill up the entire page with the improvements, and each one enhances the other. Then we get to the high ISO abilities......amazing, and though not necessarily useful for those like my Canon friend that swears he has never left ISO 100 even once in his life, he has many thousands of shots he never got that even a pure beginner can get with the K5. Valuable? Shot or no shot at all....you tell me?

I can assure you my DS would have never got this shot for me on a dark misty and cloudy morning......sure, it is not perfect, but it prints very nicely, and most of all, I got it! I don't have to say "Wow! You should have seen the colorful bird I saw this morning.....wish I could have shot it."
Over in the K5 Photo thread, there are many more examples, much better and more spectacular at even higher ISO's....take a look!
Best Regards

1/125 (Speed...you can get speed!) F6.7 @500mm ISO 12, 800

[/url] [/IMG]

But the OP asked for a comparison between the k-5 and the k-7..

05-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you either tend to or want to explore shooting at stupidly high ISO, or have a tendency to shoot in very hard light conditions, then the K5 is well worth the money.
If you always shoot at low ISO under less aggressive or more controlled light conditions, such as in the studio, the K5 offers much less advantage
What he said.

From the DL2 to K7, image quality should be a little better, but not a quantum leap. High ISO will be about the same, maybe slightly better. Handling and all the functions on the K7 will be much improved. You'll get all that plus insane high ISO shots with the K5. Only you know whether or not that ability is worth $450 extra cost.
05-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,182
+1 mrt10x, He did!
rojaba is making the leap and wants to know which way to jump.

Unlike me, as I said, I will be turning the lights out in the ist club.
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,010
QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
But the OP asked for a comparison between the k-5 and the k-7..
Well damn! That Speed-Reading has tripped me up once again! Is there anyone here that can Exorcise that speed reading course from my mind? I speed read Mrs Rupertt's E-mail the other day...and the next thing you know her allowance was up $75 a week.......said I agreed to it. I'll be damned, read it again, and I sure enough did!

Best Regards & My apologies....but I do stand by my evaluation...if you are shooting with a DL!!

Best Regards!
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
mrt10x's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodland Park CO
Posts: 102
I guess my point was that Rupert seemed to be comparing the ist to to the k-5 when the OP really was asking if the k-5 was worth twice the coin of the K-7..therefore rupert's comparison was off the mark.. dont want that be interpreted as a snipe,, I love Rupert's photos and input, some of his posts conviced me to buy my K-5 last week... replacing a K-7...and a k-20 and a K-10..
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,182
Well I will not sleep tonight, Rupert,
Until I admit to you that
I too was clacking out a short reply centred on
worth upgrading an ist till I saw MRT10x.
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member
krypticide's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,079
I just upgraded from K-7 to K-5, and it's absolutely great because I really needed the expanded dynamic range and ISO, as well as the autofocus. If none of these are critical for your type of photography, then save the money and apply it towards a lens.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
Thinking more about this....

Since you're still shooting the DL2, you're obviously a value-oriented guy. In that case, I'd say go with the K7 since it will still be a very substantial upgrade from your DL2. If you've been happy with your DL2 for this time, you'll love the K7. Better AF, many more features, live view, video (you say you won't use them...but you'll use them eventually), more resolution, more shooting modes, on and on.

As for the K5, yes it's better, and possibly worth the extra if you shoot high ISO and need the extra DR. But by that token, you could just jump to the D700...or the D3s, or the 645D. More money will almost always get you more "something". In this case, though, I think the upgrade from the DL2 to the K7 will be substantial, AND you'll save money. More money for lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax SDM lenses, how much they are really worth or are they worth it? Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 01-17-2015 11:32 PM
How much is it worth? chains1240 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 03-22-2010 03:38 PM
Is DA really worth the $$$??? jboyde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 12-04-2009 10:30 PM
Worth $60? LMRacing Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 08-13-2009 07:42 PM
Is it worth it? flockofbirds Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 31 08-12-2009 02:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top