Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Share your "User mode" settings

I've just bought a K5 and having never really used the user mode on my K20d feel as though I've missed out on a useful option - have I or haven't I though, what settings do you have in user mode?

thanks

Simon

05-18-2011, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tv at 180, +.5EV, with -1EV flash exposure comp. I use it for outdoor pictures of people with the pop-up flash for fill. It works!
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I made 5 users:
- portrait : P-mode set to shallow DoF (front wheel Tv, rear wheel Av), auto-iso to low, burst set to low, flash in wireless Controller mode.
- Manual Focus portrait : same as above, but with AF point disabled (so I don't have the blinking red square ruining my eye concentration), catch focus enabled, AF button set to disable AF.
- Action : P-mode set to Speed (front wheel Tv, rear wheel Av), auto-iso to normal, burst set to high, AF-C set to Focus, flash in normal mode.
- Fast Action : P-mode set to Speed (front wheel Tv, rear wheel Av), auto-iso to high, burst set to high, AF-C set to FPS, flash in normal mode.
- Small JPEG (for my brenizer shots) : M mode, Daylight WB, Reversal film
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sports (as above fast action, no lens correction)
HDR handheld (medium strength HDR series of 3 images +/-1EV)
Indoor (adjusted according to ambient light conditions in eachreception/church setting for weddings)
Outdoor (adjusted to allow for fill-flash exposures with HSS as above portrait preferences, also for weddings)

05-18-2011, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Modes and highlights... there may be some other small settings I am forgettin in these recipes, but you get the picture.

Sports - adjusted per this months recommendations in Outdoor Photographer for speedy AF - no SR, release priority, Tv, etc. Also, I prefer using the AF button when shooting sports, so have that enabled and half press disabled. Playing with this to optimize. Release priority is working better than I thought. I am not getting quite as many OOF as I thought I would (kid's baseball is the testbed here)
Handheld Bracket - Av, Bracket of three, no timer/SR engaged, 1 push bracket release
Tripod Bracket - Av, Bracket of five, timer/no SR engaged, 1 push bracket release
Theater - AF assist off, LCD off, status off, beep off, various other stealthy tweaks for those situations where people do not like hearing or seeing so much of you.
Utility Program - Standard program mode with tweaks; more or less a placeholder for playing with settings to come up with the next great user mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Tv at 180, +.5EV, with -1EV flash exposure comp. I use it for outdoor pictures of people with the pop-up flash for fill. It works!
That sounds good. Will try that for sure.

woof
05-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The sports setup is definitely one I intend using - as I nearly always shoot Raw and have allocated the RAW/FX button to the digital level I'm probably going to setup an AV/jpg one too just in case
05-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Sports - adjusted per this months recommendations in Outdoor Photographer for speedy AF - no SR, release priority, Tv, etc. Also, I prefer using the AF button when shooting sports, so have that enabled and half press disabled. Playing with this to optimize. Release priority is working better than I thought. I am not getting quite as many OOF as I thought I would (kid's baseball is the testbed here)
Could you elaborate on "release priority"? I found it in the Custom menu (#15).....but am unsure what it is actually doing.....esp relating to sports.

TIA.....Rich

05-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Sports - adjusted per this months recommendations in Outdoor Photographer for speedy AF - no SR, release priority, Tv, etc.
Hi,

Could you elaborate on your sports settings please? Thanks!
05-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I keep it simple - I just have two modes set up
1. With Image stabilization off - this is the one I shoot with, most of the time.
2. With Image stabilization on - if I have a long lens on the camera.

cheers,

Abhi
05-22-2011, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

One I find handy is the "hand the camera to someone else to take my/our group photo" mode. I'm a center focus point (if not manual) with focus removed from the shutter button and placed to the AF button kind of shooter. I've discovered that this doesn't work when passing the camera to my wife, children or passersby to take the "and here we are in front of the ........" tourist shot. I'm in so few photos it's like I don't even belong in the family.

Setting up a P mode with all the AF points on and the AF on the shutter button like everyone else expects it to be saves a lot of out of focus shots along with trying to explain how to operate a camera to other people. I suppose I first could turn it to the green square, but then I'd have to live with JPG files and I'm a RAW guy (I think it's JPG?) Actually, I don't really know what the green square mode does. Don't confuse me!

P.S. I love the green button on the back though...
05-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bpjod Quote
One I find handy is the "hand the camera to someone else to take my/our group photo" mode. I'm a center focus point (if not manual) with focus removed from the shutter button and placed to the AF button kind of shooter. I've discovered that this doesn't work when passing the camera to my wife, children or passersby to take the "and here we are in front of the ........" tourist shot. I'm in so few photos it's like I don't even belong in the family.

Setting up a P mode with all the AF points on and the AF on the shutter button like everyone else expects it to be saves a lot of out of focus shots along with trying to explain how to operate a camera to other people. I suppose I first could turn it to the green square, but then I'd have to live with JPG files and I'm a RAW guy (I think it's JPG?) Actually, I don't really know what the green square mode does. Don't confuse me!

P.S. I love the green button on the back though...

Genius idea! I also use the AF button, and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain to people that half-press of the shutter button won't work on my camera. I'm going to do this immediately.
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, great ideas here. I'm posting to this just to be able to get back to this easily when I get my K-5. I love the "Hand the camera to someone else mode idea"!
05-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #13

Hi,
How do we select preset USER(s) ? other than digging to Menu/USER or power off/on ?

I know when we first power on, K5 will show current user mode but after one shot, it disappeared. In order to see it again, I had to power off then on.

Thanks in advance

PentaxK5

Last edited by momo; 05-28-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typo
03-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

Can someone here post a step-by-step on how to setup a user mode for let's say "Moon" shots? I set mine up, but don't think it's working as when I switch from auto to User1, the settings somehow changed on me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I really would love for someone to layout the steps involved so that even a beginner can follow them. Oh, and yes I did read the manual from cover to cover, but I don't really get the User setup part, that's why I'm asking here. Oh! and i have a Pentax K-50.

Thanks,

...Bert

Last edited by Bertminator; 03-17-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
03-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mine are:

Simple: P mode, mostly auto settings. Normal program mode. This is for when someone other than me uses the camera.
Landscape: Mostly the same as my ordinary settings just with the picture mode set to Landscape. This just saves processing time when I forget about it.
Complex AF: I've been playing around with the technique in this thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html). It works really great, but I'm not sure it's necessary for normal usage. I've been using this trick with my fast 50, where focusing precision is critical. For bright daylight shots at f/8, though, I think I'm more likely to miss shots when this neat technique. This mode will let me toggle between this and normal half-shutter presses.
Tripod: Shake reduction turned off. There's been a few times I've forgotten to turn it back on after using it, leading to poor results. I figure I can't miss it if I'm in user mode.

Shooting in RAW+ means that few of the settings cause irrepairable damage. One time I left Shadow Compensation on and used it when it wasn't necessary. It took me time to go though each RAW file and turn it off (PCU is sooo slow), but no damage was done. Only things like shake reduction really matter.