Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,738
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Plain disaster in the Pentax history that will be never forgotten, market consequences will follow for sure, Pentax has to come up with a new model with improved AF real soon like this summer, or...

Mopish Owl (*I*)

So how is AF going to stop sensor stain? I thought this was about sensor stain? Can you tie that together for me......I am kind of slow, you know. However, my sensor is fine and my AF is not slow in the least, so just what is it I should be looking for this summer.........? I don't have a clue?

I have a good memory, sometimes spoiled by speed-reading, but as soon as I took a few shots with my K5 all the Bad News was forgotten almost instantly. Some apparently want to hold on to it for all eternity. What a pity!

Regards


Last edited by Rupert; 05-19-2011 at 07:52 AM.
05-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #32
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49
Original Poster
Hey ChrisS,where on the website would I find that bulletin?Looked but I couldn't find it.
05-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member
cbaytan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So how is AF going to stop sensor stain? I thought this was about sensor stain? Can you tie that together for me......I am kind of slow, you know. However, my sensor is fine and mr AF is not slow in the least, so just what is it I should be looking for this summer.........? I don't have a clue?
Regards
Both are disastrous K-5 problems how about that? Well if fact those most common problems known and also the reasons why I won't get a K-5, another complementary reason is a distributor with trustworthy repair services here in Turkey practically not exists.

BTW how are your squirrels doing? Are we expecting nephews? Actually I've never seen even a picture of baby squirrel. Since we know you feed them very well, we should have whole lot of nephews soon.
05-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,738
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Both are disastrous K-5 problems how about that? Well if fact those most common problems known and also the reasons why I won't get a K-5, another complementary reason is a distributor with trustworthy repair services here in Turkey practically not exists.

BTW how are your squirrels doing? Are we expecting nephews? Actually I've never seen even a picture of baby squirrel. Since we know you feed them very well, we should have whole lot of nephews soon.
Should have some babies around any day now.....lots of them in fact! I would shoot some in the nests, but climbing a 50ft tall Oak tree ended for me about 55 years ago!

Stop cheating yourself....most K5's, the vast majority, now have no problems. Buy from a reputable dealer and if you have a problem, it can be easily exchanged, but a problem is highly unlikely at this point.
If the K5 was not as overwhelmingly fantastic as I have said on this Forum many times, you can bet your butt I would have told you. Go back and look at the old threads and you will find that I am not one to hold back criticism one iota. However, when the problems are over, they are over, and it is time to move along....which I have done with huge satisfaction in my K5. Sure, some problems slip by still.....One of my friends got a new D3x with a stuck shutter........things happen.
You are missing one of the finest cameras Pentax has ever produced...just stop it and get one! They all have the Otis Guarantee, how can you lose?

Best Regards!

05-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
OK DogLover,I dl'd photme and took a pic in RAW.It was a huge file.These are the details it gave about the camera.
Pentax Model - 0x12e76
Manufacture Date - 2011-02-21
Camera been Serviced - Serviced bit not set
Production ID? - 2
I consider this big news. A first for me. What say you, Pentax?

(BTW, thanks rockyram for posting this)
05-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I consider this big news. A first for me. What say you, Pentax?

(BTW, thanks rockyram for posting this)
Speechless!
Makes me wonder how it is possible for this to happen considering the press release. Which gave me the impression that they had resolved this manufacturing issue.
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
I am not going to say anything.
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
One important point in the OP is that the stains took 3 weeks to show up. Lots of us suspected that there could be delays in their development or even certain operating conditions that caused them, thus rendering any "before they go out the door" testing done by Pentax possibly useless. If these are showing up in a genuinely new build then Pentax has a big BIG problem.

I love my K5 so far but if I constantly have to check it for stains prior to any important shoot, I'm gonna be seriously peeved!

Mike

05-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
One important point in the OP is that the stains took 3 weeks to show up. Lots of us suspected that there could be delays in their development or even certain operating conditions that caused them, thus rendering any "before they go out the door" testing done by Pentax possibly useless. If these are showing up in a genuinely new build then Pentax has a big BIG problem.

I love my K5 so far but if I constantly have to check it for stains prior to any important shoot, I'm gonna be seriously peeved!

Mike
That's pretty much what I'm thinkin', too. Let's just hope this is a one-in-a-million kind of thing.
05-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
One important point in the OP is that the stains took 3 weeks to show up. Lots of us suspected that there could be delays in their development or even certain operating conditions that caused them, thus rendering any "before they go out the door" testing done by Pentax possibly useless. If these are showing up in a genuinely new build then Pentax has a big BIG problem.

I love my K5 so far but if I constantly have to check it for stains prior to any important shoot, I'm gonna be seriously peeved!

Mike
I'm just wondering here Mike, what I'm thinking is that if you don't have stains, and have been using the camera for a while, and have gotten the sensor good and warm and you still don't have stains, then you never will. Granted this is pure specualtion on my part but if the stains are/were (intermittently?) caused by sensor heat then if the sensor has been heated and you don't have stains then you won't have stains. It's bad news to be sure but hopefully you won't have to check your K-5 every time you go out shooting.

NaCl(but I could be wrong)H2O
05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm just wondering here Mike, what I'm thinking is that if you don't have stains, and have been using the camera for a while, and have gotten the sensor good and warm and you still don't have stains, then you never will. Granted this is pure specualtion on my part but if the stains are/were (intermittently?) caused by sensor heat then if the sensor has been heated and you don't have stains then you won't have stains. It's bad news to be sure but hopefully you won't have to check your K-5 every time you go out shooting.

NaCl(but I could be wrong)H2O
Yep, I can see the logic in that. I hope it's true!
05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #42
Pentaxian
MRRiley's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling, VA, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,276
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm just wondering here Mike, what I'm thinking is that if you don't have stains, and have been using the camera for a while, and have gotten the sensor good and warm and you still don't have stains, then you never will. Granted this is pure specualtion on my part but if the stains are/were (intermittently?) caused by sensor heat then if the sensor has been heated and you don't have stains then you won't have stains. It's bad news to be sure but hopefully you won't have to check your K-5 every time you go out shooting.

NaCl(but I could be wrong)H2O
Thats probably true Salty... but you know as well as I do that once a level of confidence is lost, its exceedingly hard to recover.

Mike
05-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #43
Veteran Member
cbaytan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Should have some babies around any day now.....lots of them in fact! I would shoot some in the nests, but climbing a 50ft tall Oak tree ended for me about 55 years ago!

Stop cheating yourself....most K5's, the vast majority, now have no problems. Buy from a reputable dealer and if you have a problem, it can be easily exchanged, but a problem is highly unlikely at this point.
What if stain and/or AF problem arise? Some stain develop in three weeks and no service here, shipping charges sky high, so no thanks no K-5 for me, BTW I assume baby squirrels would be ultimate cute.
05-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
For Pentax's sake I hope that OP's problem is an isolated case due to a sensor from a pre week 50/2010 batch having found its way to the assembly line or some such accident.
05-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #45
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 35
Development of stains to be checked

Hello, I recently bought a K-5 produced in the later part of February with an S/N beginning with 4. The first thing I did was to charge the battery and then take a picture of a blue skye using aperture 22 and larger. I have never seen such a perfect picture: not a single stain or dust anywhere!

Reading this thread makes me realise that I will have to check this issue later again after having done some filming and taken some live view pictures. Maybe some stains may develop?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stains on K-x Sensor? tbirdas Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 09-18-2011 12:02 PM
Stains on k-5 Silver - anyone? sgrewal Pentax K-5 30 07-18-2011 09:06 PM
Stains...Stains...Stains... jessecad Pentax K-5 4 04-02-2011 12:15 AM
Abstract K-5 stains Rense Post Your Photos! 18 12-26-2010 01:03 PM
Why not K7 stains? Paunel Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 12-25-2010 01:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top