Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
way to make me paranoid, my exif says my K5 was manufactured in January.

05-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
way to make me paranoid, my exif says my K5 was manufactured in January.
Our K-5's were both manufactured in Jan 2011
Mine shows:
January 26 2011:
Production ID: 1
Internal Serial No. 41182

Been using it extensively and sensor remains clean as a whistle.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-19-2011 at 12:27 PM.
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Mine shows:

January 4 2011
production ID: 1
Internal serial number: 36804

My serial number is quite a bit lower then yours JohnBee, but here's hoping *crosses fingers*
05-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thats probably true Salty... but you know as well as I do that once a level of confidence is lost, its exceedingly hard to recover.

Mike
Yep. and that is what the real problem is, assuming that it's not only the OP's camera that's affected. On the other hand, I'm thinking that PF is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) public accessed Pentax sites on the Web. AFAIK, this instance here is the only one we've had since THE FIX. So I'm thinking that it may be an isolated case.

NaCl(time will tell)H2O

05-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Yep. and that is what the real problem is, assuming that it's not only the OP's camera that's affected. On the other hand, I'm thinking that PF is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) public accessed Pentax sites on the Web. AFAIK, this instance here is the only one we've had since THE FIX. So I'm thinking that it may be an isolated case.

NaCl(time will tell)H2O
If it wasn't we would be hearing the screaming all over the place! Of course it is a nuisance if this happens to you, but the solution is to just get another one. My friend did not quit Nikon over his D3X problem, he just got another one. These are just cameras.....My youngest son is about to go for his fourth wife.....talk about expensive!
Best Regards!
05-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My youngest son is about to go for his fourth wife.....talk about expensive!
what was wrong with the other 3? not enough flash exposure compensation? huge back focusing? stains all over the place? oh wait...we're talking about wives here :X hehehe
05-19-2011, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raphtze Quote
what was wrong with the other 3? not enough flash exposure compensation? huge back focusing? stains all over the place? oh wait...we're talking about wives here :X hehehe
Well, see if you can figure this out......It took me a while but I was only about 16 when I heard it. I was down at the river fishing and there were two old men nearby also fishing. I was eavesdropping on their conversation, and it turned to women.....one said to the other, you know I have been married seven times, and married the same woman each time.

My son...I think he married the same woman every time.....and will no doubt marry her once again.

I've been with Mrs Rupert 45 years, and part of the reason is that conversation I heard when I was 16.
Best Regards!

05-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #53

hahaha rupert...in otherwords...save yourself the trouble of remarrying when you're just gonna end up with the same kinda lady eh? hehehe good advice i'm working on my 3rd year here....luckily we're ok....and loves the K20D i got for her last xmas
05-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
Had my K5 for about 3 weeks now slits past the 15 day exchange period.Got back from a two week trip from the Mayan Riviera and was looking at some shots of the sunrise on my PC and to my disappointment was a series of 5 small dots almost in the middle of the frame.Bought from London Drugs,I'll see what they say.Has anyone in the Vanouver area had to have this issue addressed under warranty.Just wondering how long it takes.
Damn. DAMN! DAMN!! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw it! I am no longer branded.
05-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #55

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LD called late tonight and said the replacement is in store so I will let you know how it goes,
05-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats probably true Salty... but you know as well as I do that once a level of confidence is lost, its exceedingly hard to recover.

Mike
There is a difference between loss of confidence and unthinking paranoia.
05-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is a difference between loss of confidence and unthinking paranoia.
Very true!

Paranoia
is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

However, my loss of confidence in the K-5 is based upon persistent and real threats to it's usability. This is neither irrational or delusional. I simply wish I didn't have to repeatedly examine my camera for a condition that will require either another replacement or a 2 month visit to a repair depot.

Maybe, after I've had it for 6 months and have shot in lots of conditions and the stains have not appeared, my confidence will return... I hope so, because the camera is spectacular capability-wise...

Mike
05-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Very true!

Paranoia
is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

However, my loss of confidence in the K-5 is based upon persistent and real threats to it's usability. This is neither irrational or delusional. I simply wish I didn't have to repeatedly examine my camera for a condition that will require either another replacement or a 2 month visit to a repair depot.

Maybe, after I've had it for 6 months and have shot in lots of conditions and the stains have not appeared, my confidence will return... I hope so, because the camera is spectacular capability-wise...

Mike

You can't stop mass hysteria, even when the facts do not bare out any evidence of major defects in new K5's that were Mfg in 2011.

In light of this hysteria, I am able to predict the Next Failure.....SR. We will soon be seeing reports that SR is not working as it has in past Pentax cameras. Once brought to the attention of those suffering from mass hysteria, the reports will rapidly escalate and large numbers of SR failure reports will be posted here.

Of course, the huge majority of K5 owners will know that this has nothing to do with SR, it is the quivering hands of those in a state of panic, worrying every second that their K5 will develop stains, freeze up, or just go dead. When it takes both hands to hold a cup of coffee, you will know you are near SR failure.

I'm just guessing, but my bet is that you are drinking your coffee with a straw this morning....right Mike?

For me, and the vast majority of K5 owners, we are stepping out this morning with full confidence in out K5s' and perfectly functioning SR. Wish you could join us, but once mass hysteria sets in, the cure is as bad as the disease.

Best Regards!
05-20-2011, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Rupert,

I am not suffering from mass hysteria any more than I am suffering from paranoia. All I am saying is that this latest report lessens my confidence in the camera. If my main photographic pursuit was taking photos of squirrels in my back yard I would not be worried, but I do make a little money in this business and it's unacceptable to tell a client that we have to schedule a re-shoot because there was a technical flaw in my camera. Even if they are aware of the stain issue this decreases their confidence in ME and damages my reputation. The only thing I can do to forestall this is to test the camera on a regular basis before every important shoot to insure I don't have an ugly arse stain smack in the center of every photo. Also, as I've already said... if there are no stains after several months of shooting, I will probably relax but until I get there its a valid concern.

And I'm pleased as punch that you are happy with your K-5. I'm actually quite happy with mine too... except for this one niggling issue... I don't recall if you had to have one replaced or not or if you were fortunate enough to get a clean sensor right off the bat. But I've already lost over 2 months of K-5 time waiting for a replacement over a bad sensor stain and I'm not eager to do so again.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-20-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typos
05-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Mike, you are right, I am mostly just an old Squirrel shooter, and the closest I ever came to making a dollar from photography was trading a print for a Pizza once. If I was in your position, I would no doubt be singing a different tune, and might be drinking coffee with a straw myself.

I also was fortunate to get a perfect K5, at least as far as I know....there are no stains, no focus problems and no flash problems. So if I was in your shoes and had already experienced sending one back...I am sure my tune would again be a little different than it is for my particular case. Maybe even a lot different?

So to sum it up, my intent was to prevent any mass hysteria, given my absolute pleasure with my K5, but it certainly was not to belittle those in your more advanced category and that have already suffered from K5 problems previously. If an apology is in order...you have it! My sincere wishes for your current K5 to prove as dependable and as trustworthy as my K20D has been for me the last several years.....just a steady workhorse, never missing a beat.

Best Regards!
Rupert