Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 04:47 AM   #76

@K ... stains appear after some K5 usage ... it's not your case.

05-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

*snip*

My youngest son is about to go for his fourth wife.....talk about expensive!
Best Regards!
My best friend after his 3rd divorce became final. "I'm never going to get married again. If I feel the need, I'll just find a woman I can learn to hate, buy her a car, buy her a house and be done with it!"

Overheard on the subway:
1st woman: "Well you didn't make out too bad, on that. The judge gave you most of the best toys and the box they came in."
2nd woman: "The box?"
1st woman: "Yeah the house!".

NaCl(10 K-5s would still be a bargain)H2O
05-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A related thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/127898-statement-pentax-germany.html.

At the time there was speculation that the stains would be due drops of solvent or somesuch volatile stuff trapped inside the sensor assembly in manufacture which would eventually evaporate and leave behind a stain; this would explain stains appearing in use.
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Official statement says K-5's are supposed to be free of stain after 50/2010 production but asdaroth's stainy body is produced at 03/2011. I won't make any comment about this

05-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A related thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/127898-statement-pentax-germany.html.

At the time there was speculation that the stains would be due drops of solvent or somesuch volatile stuff trapped inside the sensor assembly in manufacture which would eventually evaporate and leave behind a stain; this would explain stains appearing in use.
It's probably already been said, but doesn't this really reflect on SONY's inability to adequately or consistently QA and take corrective measures on their own sensor production, instead of everyone railing on Pentax for shipping defective cameras?
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #81
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
It's probably already been said, but doesn't this really reflect on SONY's inability to adequately or consistently QA and take corrective measures on their own sensor production, instead of everyone railing on Pentax for shipping defective cameras?

Not sure if it's been posted, but same problem on D7000s, so it is Sony.

Nikon D7000 Oily Spot on sensor: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #82
Pentaxian

For sure this is not stain this guy showing on his Nikon. Not the same pattern at all, almost look like dust
05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #83
Pentaxian

I just redone the test on my K-5 as I have done about 60 minutes of video in one night.
No stain at all, a little of dust and that normal

05-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I got mine from London Drugs in early January and discovered the stains. I had the salesman check the current stock in the other stores and the warehouse and they all had sequential S/N so rather than exchange it I decided to have London Drugs return it to Pentax for repair. It took about four weeks for the repaired camera to return. The Camera now works wonderfully well, with no stains whatsoever.
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #85

Original Poster
Finally got my 3rd replacement K5 from London Drugs a few days ago and had a chance to test it for stains.There is a small circle in the bottom RH corner of the pic.It is a shade darker than everywhere else.I think it is dust.What do you guys think?If it is dust I was going to pick up a Rocket Blower and try that.I really don't want to return another one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Dust nothing else
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #87
Veteran Member

It's definitely not a stain.
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #88

Original Poster
Great!What a relief.What would be the best way to clean it or should i just leave it alone till I notice it in a pic.
06-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
Great!What a relief.What would be the best way to clean it or should i just leave it alone till I notice it in a pic.
I probably wouldn't do anything more than run the built-in sensor cleaning a few times and maybe use a rocket blower. If you do end up seeing it in photos, you may want to look into the Pentax "lollipop" or the Arctic Butterfly.
06-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rockyram Quote
Finally got my 3rd replacement K5 from London Drugs a few days ago and had a chance to test it for stains.There is a small circle in the bottom RH corner of the pic.It is a shade darker than everywhere else.I think it is dust.What do you guys think?If it is dust I was going to pick up a Rocket Blower and try that.I really don't want to return another one.
Hi
Most definitely, decidedly, absolutely, certainly one hundred percent dirt, fluff, dust, muck, crap or what ever you wish to call it.

I reckon I must be the worlds greatest lens changer, never go on a shoot with less than 5 lenses and I change lenses in all locations and conditions. So I get my fair share of the aforementioned on my sensor.

I am not a great fan of the famous blower as, in my experience, the blower will not always shift the crap and if it does the dirt will just be blown in to a new location inside the chamber. Turbulence created by the mirror slap and pump action from expending tele lens tubes will than make it re-appear back on to the sensor one day.

It is better to remove the offending mack! I have used for many years now PENRAX's own orange sticky sensor cleaner. (Orange lollypop) Do the same and you too will be another happy customer.

I enclose a pic taken in Shanghai recently where you can observe a similar piece of crap (like yours) floating in the sky above the tail of the chopper. I banished it with the PENTAX lollypop.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.