Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Charging -- Help

Ok, so I am on vacation, happily taking shots with my K-5 when I realize that I forgot to pack the battery charger. Have a fully charged back-up, but no charger. This is where I bang my head for forgetting it, but then remember I have the video cord to upload photos. Question, is the K-5 like my Evo in that the battery will charge if it is connected to the laptop? I do not see a light on the camera indicating it is charging, but it is reading pc-5 in the LCD Panel, indicating that the camera is pluged into the pc.

Please help!!! We have 4 days left of vacation, and I really want to take some night shots of fireworks.

05-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that the K5 will not charge like that. Not enough current and the K5 probably isn't wired to recharge that way.

The K5 batteries last for ages - if you are circumspect with the Live View (as in 'don't use it' !) and switch the camera off in between shots then two batteries should easily last you through the holiday.
05-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That was my fear. Unfortunately, the first battery had been in the camera a bit and is almost dead. Well, we are at Disney and will be back at Christmas time. Have to save my pics for the special ones.

Grrrrrrr. Banging my head against a wall for being so forgetful.
05-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How hard/expensive is it to buy a another charger?

05-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #5

Of course it's not going to work this time, but FWIW...I have a 3rd party battery grip which includes a AA battery adapter. I leave the AA battery adapter in my vehicle for just such a situation.

Other than that, maybe you could have someone overnight the charger to your hotel.

JC
05-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't going to help you this time, or maybe it will if you can find one local.. These are dirt cheap. Buy a few and keep one in the car, one in your bag, etc. I've been using this type of charger for 4 years now.

BATTERY Car CHARGER FOR D-LI90 DLI90 Pentax K7 K-7 DSLR | eBay

05-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just shut off all things that use power. Like the review showing after each picture. Internal flash use, not to much. It will get you true your holliday if you look at it as a very nice old-skool film-camera with just a few rolls in it of 36-pics each.
05-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A fully charged battery should get several hundred (+500) shots under normal use, I'd think.

I've been to Disney several times and never take the charger, usually just another battery. However, that was with the K20D and I didn't use Live View that much.

If you use the viewfinder, you should get several hundred shots off the second battery. Shoot away and have fun!

05-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
That was my fear. Unfortunately, the first battery had been in the camera a bit and is almost dead. Well, we are at Disney and will be back at Christmas time. Have to save my pics for the special ones.

Grrrrrrr. Banging my head against a wall for being so forgetful.
Maybe not that special .... when I'm out shooting birds for the day I can easily take 400-500 shots and the battery is not even showing half empty. Take the battery saving measures others have suggested and I'd be surprised if you can't take 150 - 200 a day.
05-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

They will last a really long time as long as you don't chimp, use live view or video. Of course, I personally can't avoid chimping, but if you could, I bet you could get 1500 shots out of a battery.
05-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advise all. Two days to go and we have lots of battery left, thanks to minimal use. Being a Disney regular it isn't like we don't have hundreds of Disney photos to begin with. So I have saved the photos for special shots. Besides we will be back at Christmas in 6 months.

By then I will have another charger and at least 1 more spare battery...

Lesson learned.