Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on New K5

I just got a K5 in the last week and I just thought I would give a few thoughts on it.

I come to it, having owned a K100, K10, K20 and K7. Of these, my favorite body style really was the K7, so I knew already that I would like the body style. It really doesn't fell any different as far as build, ergonomics. The RAW/Fx button is a nice touch, but I can't say that I will use it that much (frankly I seem to forget that it is there, most of the time).

There have definitely been incremental improvements with regard to things like autofocus, both AF-S and AF-C since the K7. I can't say that it is a huge difference. Truthfully, the K7 isn't too bad and is the first Pentax camera where I felt AF-C was really worth anything. At this point, it seems like SDM is the limiting point with regard to auto focus rather than the camera body.

I haven't seen any issues with regard to low light focusing. Seems spot on, even with the DA *55 f1.4. It is amazing, really, how quickly it locks in really low light settings -- much faster than the K7.

I have tried Metz 58 flash with the K5 and have seen no issues, either with bounce or direct flash. If there is an issue, it has to do with the camera selecting too high an iso if I am on auto iso. This isn't an issue since I typically select an iso between 400 and 800 and turn off auto iso.

When I look at the sensor, it is impressive how good it really is. This is where I see the difference between the K7 and K5. Really, I do think there is close to two stops difference between the K5 and K7. Iso 6400 is quite usable. I wouldn't go above that except for emergency situations. Dyanmic range is pretty impressive too. You can also see the improvement in video performance. The K7 tended to get noisy in lower light settings, while the K5 resists this quite a bit.

I will definitely keep my K7 as back up, but I have a feeling I will be turning to the K5 a lot more over the coming days. The K5 does not step back from the K7 in any respect and improves on it, sometimes incrementally and sometimes quite a bit (particularly in regard to sensor performance).

Hope this is useful.

05-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a couple of photos:

My daughter at f1.4

Iso 3200

Last edited by Rondec; 05-19-2011 at 06:08 AM.
05-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess there's FF again on the girl portrait.
First I was impressed with the K-5 AF too, but its precision proved to be very bad on my copy, especially with 31Ltd, 43Ltd and FA* 85.
05-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I guess there's FF again on the girl portrait.
First I was impressed with the K-5 AF too, but its precision proved to be very bad on my copy, especially with 31Ltd, 43Ltd and FA* 85.
Maybe a little bit. I think what you are seeing there is a little bit of movement on her part (I need to get a stun gun for my kids so they hold still) and softening from photobucket. The original is pretty sharp around the eyes.

05-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club... Good first showings. Cute pic of your daughter but I'm a sucker for Gibson hollow bodies. You can push the K5 well beyond ISO 6400..

Exif | K5JS4864_mDA50135_SiA_April20_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exif | K5JS4619_mDA50135_SiA_April10_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I will definitely keep my K7 as back up, but I have a feeling I will be turning to the K5 a lot more over the coming days. The K5 does not step back from the K7 in any respect and improves on it, sometimes incrementally and sometimes quite a bit (particularly in regard to sensor performance).

Hope this is useful.
That's what I thought too. However shooting Racoon Dogs in very low light last week with both cameras (different lenses on them of course - Sigma 50-150/2.8 on the K7 and DA*300 on the K5) I grew increasingly frustrated with the K7's performance over the K5 and decided there and then it's time to sell the K7 and buy a second K5.

The K7 is a great camera in good / decent light but in low light the K5 blows it away.
05-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think over time you learn to work around the K7s weaknesses, but it is nice not to have to deal with them. Just thought I would include a few more photos:

My daughter with DA 70 (bounce flash).

A couple of photos with the DA 55-300. One thing that I didn't realize is how much more usable this lens is with better high iso capability. I seldom used it before, unless I had it stabilized, but now, between SR and better high iso, I can shoot it hand held, much more easily.

And a couple shot with the DA *55 at f1.4 (just to demonstrate the focus is on). Second one is crop of the first. No noise reduction.

05-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL...We've had the K-5 for 7 months now, I dont think we need test shots of the sides of a box, just post nice pictures please

glad your liking it!
05-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

IAnd a couple shot with the DA *55 at f1.4 (just to demonstrate the focus is on). Second one is crop of the first. No noise reduction.
Excellent demonstrations - thanks for putting these up!
05-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
LOL...We've had the K-5 for 7 months now, I dont think we need test shots of the sides of a box, just post nice pictures please

glad your liking it!
So sorry, I just didn't know any other way to test focus on the 55 at f1.4, short of using a stun gun on my kids (as mentioned above) Hopefully, I can take some decent photos one of these days that are as impressive as the camera (now with the K5, I can't blame the camera any more).
05-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Glancing at the sig...

"BTW: vi sucks! FreeBSD sucks even harder. "

WHAT?!

Emacs Makes A Computer Slow.
05-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Forum Member

My daughter with DA 70 (bounce flash).
Whatever photography is meant to be about you got a large part of it here.
05-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Glancing at the sig...

"BTW: vi sucks! FreeBSD sucks even harder. "

WHAT?!

Emacs Makes A Computer Slow.
I think Emacs is our current resident troll.
05-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Forum Member

I think Emacs is our current resident troll.
Someones got to kick the ball back.
05-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So sorry, I just didn't know any other way to test focus on the 55 at f1.4, short of using a stun gun on my kids
ahh nice , my 55 needs +6 adjustment to be spot on for me. I thought you were just testing the ISO :P