Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards

I just purchased 2 of the 16gb versions of the above. I was using the assumption (I know what that gets me) that since the K-5 can support SDXC it wouldn't have an issue with the SDHC UHS-1 format.

Does anyone know whether it will take advantage of the extra speed (45 MB/s) or will it work no faster than just the extreme card (30 MB/s)?

Any knowledge on this would be most appreciated (I still have time to return the cards and save some $$ on just the extreme version before I hit Yosemite in mid June).

Thanks

05-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am interested in this also. I have noticed that cards that are fast to write on my K20D are much slower on the K5? This is not a problem for me, but I am curious? what would be the fastest card in the 16GB range for my K5?
Regards!
05-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will not run faster than the 30mb card. your wasting your money.
05-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
Finally found a post stating what you said Ahab...I'll see if I can get a better deal on the Extreme III and send these back (only if the savings is measurable)...thanks

05-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I tested that and there is no advantage over the Extreme III 30 MB/s version. Still a good investment for future camera's. I bought 2 32GB cards.
05-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah I think I'll just keep them...the $10 difference between the 2 isn't worth my time to send them back and reorder...I just will order the Extreme III's next time I get some more cards.
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProgMtl Quote
I just purchased 2 of the 16gb versions of the above. I was using the assumption (I know what that gets me) that since the K-5 can support SDXC it wouldn't have an issue with the SDHC UHS-1 format.

Does anyone know whether it will take advantage of the extra speed (45 MB/s) or will it work no faster than just the extreme card (30 MB/s)?

Any knowledge on this would be most appreciated (I still have time to return the cards and save some $$ on just the extreme version before I hit Yosemite in mid June).

Thanks
Some actual benchmarks:
Benchmark Results: Sequential Reads/Writes : 10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

Sequential write speed on these is ~36.5 MB/s vs ~20MB/s on extreme 3 and class 10 cards. So it does make sense to buy the extreme pro.

05-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There was an exhaustive thread about the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards back in March. You may want to review it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/135030-has-anyone-tried-...hlight=sandisk
05-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've tried one and it improved my photography not one whit.

Apparently that would take more than a nominally-faster-in-someone-else's-camera memory card.

I bought it only because I needed a card, it was at an attractive price, and perhaps someday I"ll own a device that can take advantage of its capabilities.

For the latest purchase, prices were back to normal and I picked up two 16 GB Extremes at 30 MBps. No difference that I can see in a K-5.

Last edited by glanglois; 05-24-2011 at 05:07 AM.
05-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While the card won't be faster in-camera, it is worth noting that it can be faster transferring images to the computer, namely if you use a UHS card reader (hardly out on the market yet but they will be soon).
05-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
While the card won't be faster in-camera, it is worth noting that it can be faster transferring images to the computer, namely if you use a UHS card reader (hardly out on the market yet but they will be soon).
Fair point. As image files grow (think video?) the read rate becomes more of a factor.

But the interface then becomes an issue. USB 2.0 (which is all I have on computers that I hope will last for another couple of years at least) has a max of 60 MBps and is shared among all ports supported by the given controller. Even the most basic protocol takes 10-15% of that and USB hard drives are even slower.

I'm not sure what other overhead exists in the SDXC cards but it appears that a USB 3.0 interface may be needed to take full advantage of the higher speeds we're seeing on the fastest cards.

I expect I'll add a USB 3.0 adaptor and hub to one desktop some day but I think my laptops will be stuck at 2.0 for their useful life.

So ..... I don't think those extra conductors will be helping me much in the near term. In the long term, I will further think that a 16GB super-duper-speed card I buy today will be too small. I'll have to buy new, big cards anyway, I suspect.
05-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Fair point. As image files grow (think video?) the read rate becomes more of a factor.

But the interface then becomes an issue. USB 2.0 (which is all I have on computers that I hope will last for another couple of years at least) has a max of 60 MBps and is shared among all ports supported by the given controller. Even the most basic protocol takes 10-15% of that and USB hard drives are even slower.

I'm not sure what other overhead exists in the SDXC cards but it appears that a USB 3.0 interface may be needed to take full advantage of the higher speeds we're seeing on the fastest cards.

I expect I'll add a USB 3.0 adaptor and hub to one desktop some day but I think my laptops will be stuck at 2.0 for their useful life.

So ..... I don't think those extra conductors will be helping me much in the near term. In the long term, I will further think that a 16GB super-duper-speed card I buy today will be too small. I'll have to buy new, big cards anyway, I suspect.
Here's the reader they used in the benchmark I posted above:
USB 3.0 Card Reader: Pretec P240 : 10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

Max bandwidth is ~79MB/s with Kingston UltimateXX.
11-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would not expect the camera to become faster with this card - it has internal buffer memory anyways...
Transfer to the PC should be faster given that you can use a fast interface. Firewire 800, USB3 or SD card slots in some PCs/Macs. My current cards are rated 20MB/s, not bad, the next generation should be 40 MB/s. Interfaces are ready.
For my medium format back I prefer Firewire 800 and fast cards at the moment.
At the end the weakest link will make a difference...

Let me add one thing. I use the Sandisk Ducati version because these SD cards are red - making them easy to find in any location. All really fast cards are dark blue or black. Sandisk, Lexar, ...

Last edited by zapp; 11-13-2011 at 02:55 AM.
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My card only says "Extreme, HD Video, 30 MB/s 16GB SDHC I"
What's the difference between "Extreme" and "Extreme III"?

I could wish that writing raw files were faster, actually.