Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #1

K-5 Underexposes! Any help?

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find the thread.

My K-5 underexposes bad in AUTO green mode.

My K20D underexposed in Auto.
My K-7 was about perfect in Auto.
My K-5 is about as bad or worse than my K20D in underexposing!

I can put it on P with an exposure compensation boost (or shoot manual), but what's the point of Auto mode if it's unusable?

I can't get one well-exposed shot out of Auto.

Does anyone else's K-5 underexpose? Any fixes besides P-mode + exposure compensation boost?

I notice there are white balance differences, etc between P and auto, even if all the settings are the same... so it would be nice to use Auto every now and then.

05-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you noticing what types of scenes you are exposing for when you shoot?
Are they bright outdoor scenes with dark-ish foregrounds?
This seems to be the biggest error I hear of when people suggest underexposure. The camera seeks to expose for the brighter areas in the scene (usually the sky), leaving the foreground dark so as to avoid massive blowing of highlights.

At EV0 (as with auto mode), the K-5 exposes reasonably well with most lenses. I boost EV to +1 or thereabouts for more bright scenes, or spot meter for small subjects on an overly bright or dark background. Exposures are usually on the mark, whether in green mode, P mode or other semi-auto mode.

Can you post examples of your underexposed results?
05-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
My K-5 underexposes everything, every scene. I'll try to post photos today.
05-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Check page 119 of your K5 manual. Possibly you have your EV compensation set to underexpose. I have done this in error more than once.

05-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

As bobell69 says check the EV compensation, but if that's not it then you need to send it for servicing obviously. I have not had any such problems with my K-5.
05-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, please post some examples.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
As stated in my first post, it underexposes in AUTO MODE.

I don't think you can adjust much of anything in AUTO.

I can adjust exposure compensation in all other modes like "P" mode, and that fixes it, but why have AUTO if it's nearly useless?

05-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Without any photo with exif intact posted, this thread and the claim that the camera underexposes in Auto is heresay.
Until the OP can adduce concrete evidence to back up his assertion, I'm inclined to believe the problem lies behind the camera...

Read page 104 of the K-5 manual on the limitations of Green Mode, that is why there is a Program Mode provided.
There is NO EV COMPENSATION available in Green Mode.
05-21-2011, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
My K-5 underexposes everything, every scene. I'll try to post photos today.
Green mode is not useless.
My K-5 would underexpose every scene too, if they were backlit.
Please show us that it is not the shot selection that is giving you the underexposed results, bearing in mind that Pentax generally avoids highlight clipping like the plague. And it's much better to expose for the shadows and process for the highlights than to start off with a well-exposed shadow area but unsalvageable highlight areas to work with.
05-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

No examples so you figured out the problem?
05-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Aside from what other's have mentioned, do you use a split prism focus screen like a Katz Eye? That'll underexpose when metering is set to spot.
05-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I have noticed with my previous body (K-5 body I mean) underexposure with my Sigma 70-300 macro zoom. Not sure who's to blame since all other lenses are Ok, including the Sigma primes.

Haven't re-done the tests for the new K-5 body thou...