Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Upgrading from K-7 to K-5? (Bulb exposure)

So I just noticed the new K-5 DSLR.
I have a K-7 and love it. The one thing I have been disappointed in is not being able to do long Bulb exposures of the night sky and stars.
If Pentax has fixed the issue with the K-5 I'd be willing to upgrade but this is a big selling point to me.
Anyone know if this has been fixed?
Also anything else to think of when upgrading my Pentax body?

I have a K-7
-DA 18-250mm
-DA 10-17mm
-Aftermarket remote switch (for long bulb exposures)

Thanks in advance for any advice or information,
Zach

05-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can, set the mode dial to 'B'. Used it with a wireless remote, clicked once it started shooting, clicked again and it stopped
05-21-2011, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #3

if your talking DFS then yup k5 sorted that - also lower noise in general so all good for long exposures
05-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, it was that DFS issue. I'm glad they got that fixed.
Thanks.

I'll have to start sweet talkin' the wife tonight.

05-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wisco Quote
Yeah, it was that DFS issue. I'm glad they got that fixed.
Thanks.

I'll have to start sweet talkin' the wife tonight.
Just buy it ~ have it sent to a friends address. Then at some point exchange the old with the new. If you use that secret credit card, you know the card that the better half doesn't know about; she would never know the difference. Don't tell her I gave you this idea.
05-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

OK, i'll ask the stupid question. If you took a DF image for use later - what kind of software would allow one to remove that noise from the long exposures?
05-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
OK, i'll ask the stupid question. If you took a DF image for use later - what kind of software would allow one to remove that noise from the long exposures?
GIMP, Photoshop, or similar. Also probably plenty of one-trick ponies out there to do similar things. You simply need to do a Difference layer between the photo and the DF.

Just be sure you take this using the same settings on your camera and at about the same ambient temperature.
i.e. Shooting out on a cold night, then creating the DF at home the next day won't give as good of results.

05-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
GIMP, Photoshop, or similar. Also probably plenty of one-trick ponies out there to do similar things. You simply need to do a Difference layer between the photo and the DF.

Just be sure you take this using the same settings on your camera and at about the same ambient temperature.
i.e. Shooting out on a cold night, then creating the DF at home the next day won't give as good of results.
Thank you. Just take the picture against the lens cap then?
05-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep. Dunno how light-tight lens caps are, but that should pretty much do it.
05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Any difference in taking a DF before or after a session of long exposures?
05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #11

We're getting great results with the K-5 for astrophotography - see the message thread.
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Zach,
It's not just DFS that made the K-7 unsuitable for Bulb exposures.
It was its sensor. It was Pentax's first generation CMOS sensor that was praised for less heat generation compared to its CCD predecessors. Even still, the CCD sensors produced beautifully clean Bulb exposures whereas the CMOS sensors in the K20D/K-7 struggled to create clean Bulb exposures even at ISO 100-200.

The K-5's sensor is revolutionary in this way. It's Pentax's first CMOS sensor that produces as clean long exposures as the older CCD sensors. This is a refreshing development for me, as I too appreciate the extra long exposures.