Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many times has your K-5 frozen since installing firmware 1.03?
0 15873.15%
1-5 4822.22%
6-20 52.31%
20+ (i've lost count) 52.31%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several.
Allways when the battery is getting low

07-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Never happened to me. Full battery, or dying. Firmwares: 1.01, 1.03, 1.11.

Hoping for this to stay this way
The same over here!
I don't understand all this nervousness, actually, only less than 4% of the K5 users had serious problems, about 20% more or less and over 75% never had to deal with this issue (approximative numbers)...
If there are issues with machines; bad design, bad construction or bad use can be the cause, so theoretically in 33% of the cases this can be eliminated by the user...
And if, soon or later, one should run in to problems with a K5, there is always this wonderful forum with even more wonderful people who are always ready to help!
Deal with the problems, stop nagging and look forward!
Nobody is perfect, neither are machines (certainly not)...
07-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Thanks for the tip. On my 3rd body already and still locking up just yesterday. Just installed 1.11 per your tip and will be on my knees tonight praying for something good to happen. Will report back with results but it takes a couple weeks to get complete test.
Just wondering if the 1.11 firmware has helped for you? So far, so good with mine.
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Just wondering if the 1.11 firmware has helped for you? So far, so good with mine.
Started with the simple case and ran down one Pentax brand battery with no grip attached. I got the "Battery depleted" message as I should. Next I am going with two Pentax brand batteries and the grip, set to run Grip first, then Body. If that freezes I will start wondering about the grip and specifically the springy pin contacts.

For those that are grimacing at this thread because they believe it overblown, its more of a problem to fix for those of us using a grip and not sitting in their den. Since it does not affect everybody I should be able to narrow it down to something i can change; settings or accessories. Changing the battery(s) of a frozen camera while in a kayak is not my idea of fun.

07-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Mine started slow and progressed into almost every burst. I am not sure about the battery. I tried all of the things. Battery, New card, even saying a prayer before bedtime. Anyway I finally sent mine in and happy to say no problems since. With the same batteries and cards. Hummmmm

Anyway Pentax Japan replaced the electronic mother board and related components. What ever in the hell that means. Also a new shutter. And the real surprise is fixed AF in good light. Still the low light problem but adj AF was a great plus for me. Now small micro adj and it is good to go.

The Pentax repair in Japan is the cat's meow. I really love those guys and gals.
07-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I just checked my cameras firmware. It had 1.03 on it when i sent it in and now it has 1.10. So wow. Maybe the updated firmware has something to do with it also... I don't know why I didn't think to check before. Great thread Lee.

Last edited by garyk; 07-30-2011 at 06:35 PM.
07-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Mine started slow and progressed into almost every burst. I am not sure about the battery. I tried all of the things. Battery, New card, even saying a prayer before bedtime. Anyway I finally sent mine in and happy to say no problems since. With the same batteries and cards. Hummmmm

Anyway Pentax Japan replaced the electronic mother board and related components. What ever in the hell that means. Also a new shutter. And the real surprise is fixed AF in good light. Still the low light problem but adj AF was a great plus for me. Now small micro adj and it is good to go.

The Pentax repair in Japan is the cat's meow. I really love those guys and gals.
I'm curious...can we choose where we get repairs? I don't have much confidence in the work of Pentax Canada. I'd love to ship things off to Japan, if I had a choice.

07-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #38

Once in Live-view.. Had to remove the battery to turn it off..
07-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #39
Inactive Account

I don't think so. But really I do not know. I bought mine from Japan. They completely rebuilt mine in 2 weeks and had it back to me. You might ask your service center there.
08-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #40

No problems at all

No problems either before or after update.
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 freezing up with 1.11

Hi,
I just got my K-5 about a week ago. I love the camera, but it has frozen up on me 3 times. They have been kind of random occurrences, sometimes during a burst, sometimes not etc. Anyone else having issues since updating to 1.11? I'm wondering if this is a general bug with this model, since I see so many of you that have had similar problems, although this did happen once or twice to me on my K-X as well.
08-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #42

define lock up, please

If you mean shutter refusing to release, my K-5 has done this about 20 times. Card is always reformatted in camera and battery "appears" fully charged. If you mean something other than "firing" I have not experienced it with either of my K-5s.
08-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #43
Inactive Account

That is very discouraging news. I was hoping the upgrade was the fix. Haven't heard from Lee. If it is fixed for him with a firmware upgrade? . Hummmmm
08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
That is very discouraging news. I was hoping the upgrade was the fix. Haven't heard from Lee. If it is fixed for him with a firmware upgrade? . Hummmmm
You will hear from me today. The grip battery is almost dead and I am about to start shooting. If it switches to the Body battery or just gives me a message then we are off to a great start. Will post results later today...yes, its only one test but typically it would freeze almost every time under this circumstance.
08-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Yippee!!

Good news for a change from a champion K-5 whiner.
I really stressed it when the Grip bat was almost dead, holding the shutter in AF-C mode while changing the subject distance...just like shooting a BIF. The first time it automagically switched to the Body bat when I was not firing, so switched it off for a minute and back on and it came up on the Grip bat. Then 2 times I was firing a burst and it stopped, went black for a couple seconds and gave the "Battery Depleted" msg. Turn off then on and back in business. Although it should not have come back to the Grip bat the first 2 times I was very happy that it never froze as it certainly would have a couple months ago.

One more test, replace Pentax bats with clones to see if any difference because I still dont know for sure where this improvement came from; firmware 1.11? 3rd body? new Pentax batteries?

Time to enjoy.