Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many times has your K-5 frozen since installing firmware 1.03?
0 15873.15%
1-5 4822.22%
6-20 52.31%
20+ (i've lost count) 52.31%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #61

Pentax freeze - but not a battery problem

Hi,

I had 2 freezes on my K5 in 1 year and removing the battery did not fix the problem....

The last time this happened, I had the Firmware 1.13

Each time, when the freeze happened, I removed the battery (to shut down the K5) and reinserted a new one. My Pentax could then turn on but I was unable to take any picture, the shutter was mot responding. I did the same process with my 3 Batteries (2 Pentax (1 full and 1 more than half full) and 1 third party (full)).
Finally I switched to manual focus and live view mode. I heard the mirror making its noise and then everything went back to normal. My last shot was completely overexposed...

Please, did this happen to someone else ?

10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #62

No issues here
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No freezes, flops, stains,focus problems and no buttons flying off. Just some dust in the VF.
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #64

Ive been having a problem with freezing. Thankfully it never happened at a wedding!!! But during other shooting it just suddenly froze and I had to take off the grip and remove the battery, VERY annoying. I think it may be the batteries though. I bought my camera 2nd hand and he gave me a bunch of extra stuff including 3 batteries! I think one of them is an off brand so I think I will try numbering my batteries and seeing if it happens again and with which battery.

I also think it may be from putting it on auto switch from battery to grip because the camera flickered when I took the grip off... could also maybe be the grip?? I just hope it never happens at a crucial moment! Yesterday i actually got a battery depleted message so I think THAT battery is the pentax brand

10-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mike2034 Quote
Hi,

I had 2 freezes on my K5 in 1 year and removing the battery did not fix the problem....

Each time, when the freeze happened, I removed the battery (to shut down the K5) and reinserted a new one. My Pentax could then turn on but I was unable to take any picture, the shutter was mot responding. I did the same process with my 3 Batteries (2 Pentax (1 full and 1 more than half full) and 1 third party (full)).
Finally I switched to manual focus and live view mode. I heard the mirror making its noise and then everything went back to normal. My last shot was completely overexposed...

Yes I've experienced the freezing K-5 problem. It would not happen very often but it's exactly as you described. I thought maybe it happened because the SD card door was very loose and I might have bumped it with my had. I really don't know for certain what caused it. However, over the summer the camera was acting up in other ways that could be related. When I turned it on it would display the firmware version. There were other problems too but none that affected the image. I returned it to where I bought it and they sent it to Pentax for repairs. It was back in less than three weeks. I haven't used it enough to say definitely that the freeze up problem is gone but the display problem is fixed. The camera feels like they gave it a thorough tightening as the SD card door is more solid now and it was not even on my list of problems. The work order only says that they tightened it up. I think that the back of the camera was loose inside causing a short or at least causing the camera to think the menu button was pressed. They fixed it fast and having things loosen up seems reasonable for this type of product.
I hope this helps.

Pentax K-5
10-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #66

I have had many freezes in video mode.......when stopping the recording the camera continues to show saving and is unresponsive.....any ideas??
10-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #67
Veteran Member

After serviced, never freeze again.
Changed new circuit board, new AF block.

03-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by mike2034 Quote
Hi,

Just an update of my K5 (sorry for the delay...)
I had it serviced twice during an extended warranty period.
The first time Pentax changed the Fresnel Lens (why ? I really do not know) (it was under the standard warranty period), but I had no improvement about the "freeze problem" (it was in December 2012). Hopefully, the warranty period had been extended for 6 month.
The second time Pentax changed the MIRROR MOTOR (ASSY K-7). It was in April 2013. Since then, I did not have any "freeze problem"

Conclusion: if you have some "freeze problem" regularly and if your camera is under warranty, make it serviced ! things can only go better...