Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 118
How to transfer files from camera

I'm trying to transfer my pictures from the K-5 to the computer. The Pentax software help says to choose Tools, then Easy Transfer, select the images, select the destination folder. I did Tools/Easy Transfer/All Images and clicked next. There was not a screen for me to choose the destination folder (although in the Options menu it says the default destination is C:\Users\Nath\Documents\Pentax so I assumed it would automatically use that). However the screen said copying DCIM (H:\DCMI) to K-5 (H. This didn't seem right but I let it finish and I don't see any pictures from the K-5 on my computer. Did it copy the files to the camera memory card again or what? What do I do to get the pictures to my computer? This shouldn't be that difficult. I copy files all the time between media and my computer but I'm baffled by the Pentax software.

05-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 321
It sounds like you're connecting your camera to your computer with a USB cable (which is what I do as I don't have a card-reader). When I connect and turn the camera on the computer sees it as just another drive. You can drag and drop files using Windows Explorer like any other files on any other drives. I don't have a K5 but I don't imagine there are differences.
05-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 118
Original Poster
Pentax Digital Camera Utility

Okay. I used Windows Explorer to drag them to the computer. I'm still baffled why the Easy Transport didn't work. Anyway, is there a guide or manual on how to use the Pentax software so I don't have to constantly go into help. The icons on the screen do not tell what they are when you scroll over them which would be helpful. I'm sure it won't be so confusing once I learn it but it's very confusing now and my daughter needs to get her photography project done for her class rather quickly. I do have photoshop elements, would that be better to use than the Pentax software?
05-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,417
Jool,

What program will you use to catalogue and process your images? Most have an import function. Several, such as Picasa, are free. If you shoot raw files, you might want Lightroom or some other sphisticated program.

05-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glendale, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 61
How to transfer files from camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
Okay. I used Windows Explorer to drag them to the computer. I'm still baffled why the Easy Transport didn't work. Anyway, is there a guide or manual on how to use the Pentax software so I don't have to constantly go into help. The icons on the screen do not tell what they are when you scroll over them which would be helpful. I'm sure it won't be so confusing once I learn it but it's very confusing now and my daughter needs to get her photography project done for her class rather quickly. I do have photoshop elements, would that be better to use than the Pentax software?
If you are familiar with Photoshop Elements or that is what is used for the class, I would used Photoshop Elements. Are the files in .jpg format or are they Pentax raw file format, .pef? If they are in the raw file format, does the version of Photoshop Elements support the Pentax raw file format? In this case, you may need to use the Pentax software unless you have set to save both raw and jpg or convert in camera.
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 118
Original Poster
I was trying to import from the K-5 to the computer but the Easy Transport using the Pentax DCU software didn't seem to work right. It looks like it copied back to the memory card under a different file folder even though in Options it has my C: drive set as destination. I then copied the files to the computer using Windows Explorer. I was going to try using the Pentax DCU software to process the pictures but it's very confusing and the manual is of no help. It seems from the little I've read people don't use it that much so maybe I shouldn't bother with it (any opinion on that?). I shoot .DNG format. I have version 6 of photoshop elements and I haven't tried that yet. If it opens the .DNG files then I assume it's compatible (right?). I don't know much about Lightroom and reviews are really mixed on it.
05-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
I Just put the SD card in the card reader and plug it into a USB port on my computer. The SD card auto opens in Windows Explorer as another drive. I just drag copy them to my HDD.

Simples
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I don't know much about Lightroom and reviews are really mixed on it.

Lightroom rocks. I've been using it for 2 years now and love it. Latest version, 3.4 is great. It's almost the perfect cataloguing and developing program for digital photogrphers.

Nothing to do with getting pics from Camera to Computer though.. I do that before importing into Lightroom

05-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glendale, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 61
How to transfer files from camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I was trying to import from the K-5 to the computer but the Easy Transport using the Pentax DCU software didn't seem to work right. It looks like it copied back to the memory card under a different file folder even though in Options it has my C: drive set as destination. I then copied the files to the computer using Windows Explorer. I was going to try using the Pentax DCU software to process the pictures but it's very confusing and the manual is of no help. It seems from the little I've read people don't use it that much so maybe I shouldn't bother with it (any opinion on that?). I shoot .DNG format. I have version 6 of photoshop elements and I haven't tried that yet. If it opens the .DNG files then I assume it's compatible (right?). I don't know much about Lightroom and reviews are really mixed on it.
If Windows Explorers works for you in transferring files, stay with it.

Regarding Adobe Photoshop Elements v6 for Windows support the DNG file format, yes it does. For more complete listing file formats supported, see Supported file formats (Photoshop Elements 6.0 on Windows).

If you already have Photoshop Elements, try it and see how it works for you. Lightroom is a step up from Photoshop Elements and great for organizing your photos. You can also download a fully functional copy of Lightroom 3 on a trial basis. I can't remember how days trial is for and I didn't see any information, but assumet that it is for at least 15 days and perhaps 30 days. professional photography, digital photography editing software | Adobe

Aaron
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, computer, copy, destination, dslr, folder, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, screen, transfer files
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to batch rename files after files imported and tagged in Photoshop Elements raider Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 03-14-2013 10:36 PM
Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 changes to raw files disappear 7samurai Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 05-25-2011 05:05 PM
How do you copy/transfer files to computer? RolloR Pentax DSLR Discussion 42 05-31-2010 09:55 AM
Ritz Camera files bankruptcy reeftool General Talk 44 02-28-2009 09:00 AM
sharpened raw files in camera kiwao Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 10-15-2008 02:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top