Check the left side...

Totally agree with 3.

05-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Check the left side...

Totally agree with 3.
As per 3, easy fix with programing custom button's (raw/fx button)
05-25-2011, 05:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
As per 3, easy fix with programing custom button's (raw/fx button)
Really?! I can only see options for raw/JPEG toggling, bracketing (what I use it for now), digital preview, electronic level and composition adjust.
05-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #19

And another one for the statistic!

I started thinking about the switch because of the high ISO-performance and was lost when I read the first reviews here and elsewhere, so when some unexpected money came my way last year...

I'm totally satisfied with the camera and don't regret the purchase at all! (Except when I again produced some truly dreadful pictures and wonder if a P&S would not be more adequate for my skills...)

05-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
How much did you sell it for? The thought does cross my mind from time to time to sell it since ive hardly touched since i got the k-5 but i like keeping it knowing i have a back-up just in case.
$450 and I threw in a card, a bag I never used, and my 70-300 lens as well (hardly ever used it anymore anyway). In the meantime I have been looking over my shots and realised I am being really hamfisted... nothing decent in what I have shot with the K-5 at all. Its just me, I know... and I looked at the K-r and realised I was actually doing better with that. Perhaps the lighter weight suited me, after all. I'm in need of a funds injection due to some unexpected medical bills for myself and my cat, and whilst I am struggling on as is, I am becoming very tempted to sell the K-5 plus the WR lenses, and go back to K-r, which would likely put about $800 in my hands which would be very useful right now. OTOH as soon as I would sell, I would wish I didnt.

I had kept my K200 as a backup too... and then I thought... backup for *what* exactly. Its good for those of you who shoot professionally but I am a hobbyist, and have no plans at my age to start seeking work with a camera. Justification gone. And now its gone to live with a friend of a friend and he and I are both happy with the result.
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Me too. Dynamic range (therefore the amount of raw image manipulation possible) and low-light capability blow the 200D out of the water, no regrets about the switch.

On the other hand, there's something different about the images the 200D produces - not easily quantifiable but when I look back at my pre-K5 photos there's a certain "pop" to many of them which I don't get on the K5 with the same lenses and the same photographer. I'm not even going to try to speculate on why that is or even claim it's real and not a product of my imagination.
I don't have a K5 ... though oh so tempted - but I do know what you mean re the "pop" of the 200D images - i've added a 200D to my 3 Canon DSLR's and the "Pop" is very, very evident - the images are just so "ewal", almost 3 d like, feel you can reach into the image - that's one thing making me hesitant with the K5 - will the images have that, will I be disappointed with the images by comparison to the 200
10-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #22

I started off with a K200 in addition to my analog SLRs. I recently bought a K5 as my girlfriend often uses the K200 when we are out together and I am delighted with it. Mostly the low-light performance and AF capability. LV sometimes comes in handy, as well.

Mike

10-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #23

Started DSLR digital with a IST ds, sold it to get a Canon 5D MKII, sold it to get a Pentax K5. Love the K5 partly because I can use my lenses from my Pentax film days, partially because it is such a small camera, bust mostly because it is such a good camera.
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #24

so what is the consensus on here then as regards the K5 - are it's images as good as the best the K200 can deliver ? do they have the same "pop" - it's the thing that struck me most about the K200 - the images are so vibrant and ..well everything I said in my above post (but without the typos)
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by judderman62 Quote
so what is the consensus on here then as regards the K5 - are it's images as good as the best the K200 can deliver ? do they have the same "pop" - it's the thing that struck me most about the K200 - the images are so vibrant and ..well everything I said in my above post (but without the typos)
In one respect that's hard to answer - since you don't explain how your K200 is set up. BUT - I have both, still use both - lenses with different zoom ranges mounted. The K5 images (I'm talking JPEGs) are better in all respects especially in low light, faster AF, cropability, dynamic range, etc etc - all the things you'd expect from a more advanced, more megapixeled sensor. But I will say it takes more playing around with the settings to achieve that "Pop" I think you're looking for. The K200's default settings lean towards that "pop" which many users coming from the P&S world are used to.. The K5's defaults tend towards a more neutral image, which even with JPEGs , are easier to tweak in post processing to get what you want (which may not always be "pop") I would add that I still really like my K200 but I would make this comparison.

Consider how some audio speakers have nice bright highs and a solid base but aren't so strong in the mid ranges - that's kind of like the K200's 'Pop". Other audio speakers take a balanced approach throughout the tonal range without emphasis on any one portion - that's like the K5's default. Now you can tweak settings on the K5 like you can tweak the amp or equalizer on your stereo and get the results you want. But the K5, like a balanced speaker is far more flexible, more nuanced, and in the long run superior. BUT that's JMHO and YMMV
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by judderman62 Quote
If you read the K5 forum, you could have no doubt that the consensus says yes but after playing for a few weeks with a new K5, my answer at the moment is still: no. I feel the K200D gets the best of my lenses. The K5 can reveal purple fringes from very good lenses such as the DA70. Besides, the images need extra sharpening to reach a level close to the one I get from the K200D. So to me, the switch to the K5 was not an all win affair. The K5 has obvious advantages and is altogether a better camera but under good light, the K200D still wins the IQ contest IMO, but maybe I just don't know how to get the best of my new camera. Anyway, one thing I would advice you not to do would be to sell your K200D before you get a K5. I am glad I have kept mine.
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #27

thanks for the replies thus far and be interested to hear more opinions.

To answer re set up - I have changed no settings - so as the camera arrived, I always shoot raw and do very minimal post processing. I'm not coming from P & S - I have two canon 50D's and a 500D (replacing a recently deceased 400D) and now the k200D - which I'm loving. i almost always shoot manual and tend to favour underexposing most shots a little.

Given my main subject - abandoned/disused/derelict buildings the K5 offers much that would fir perfectly with it's DR and it's high ISO performance along with in camera HDR so as you can imagine it appeals a lot - but I'd hate to spend best part of £800 and be disappointed with IQ compared to the K200D which not only has impressed myself but seen many comment on my pictures.
10-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #28

oh yes and I have no intention of giving up the K200 - the K5 would be in addition ... clearly as I only own 4 DSLR's I need another one
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is clear win for me over my K200D. I haven't noticed any 'pop' gone missing but with only about 3,5 years with a DSLR and my ability's to produce and 'post produce' a good photo getting better and better it is not like there is a level playing field for judging either camera on their IQ. The ease of use of the K-5 in many situations requiring a high iso, live view or a quick adjustment to either aperture or shutter speed does make it a better camera for me. Add the flexibility of the raw files in PP and the possibility to use a low iso like 80 and you understand why I love this camera! But the K200D in capable hands is still a camera that produces stunning results even in clubs! Moderator Marc Sabatella on this forum has proven that.
10-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
Forum Member

Me, me, me !
Switched to the K-5 from K200D when I realized that some of my better lenses were capable of outresolving the sensor on the K200D.
The K-5 is every thing that everyone says it is. When it works. Mine works well.

High ISO amazing and I like the HDR feature. Photographer Mode (TAv) is really nice too.
Light, ergonomic, and easy to use it just crys out for primes.

In some ways it is smarter than I am but I am catching up fast.

j Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee