Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

K-5 Video AVI file viewing

I have recently purchased a K-5. I have been a long time Nikon user.

I am trying to figure out the best media viewe to use for the AVI files produced by the K-5 but am having some issues:

1. VLC - this is a media player I have successfully used with my other cameras which take video (Nikon, Sony, Panasonic). However, when I replay AVI files from the K-5, I get a message that the Index is currupted and needs repair. Also, when the video plays, an audible click sounds every second during the playback.

2. Windows Media Player - I believe I have the proper Codec installed, but when I play back videos from the K-5, the sound stops working 30-40 seconds into the playback.

Any recommendations on the best media player to use with the K-5 AVI files?

Thanks for your help.

05-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have VLC myself, and I notice the audible click occurring on some videos that it finds needs index 'repairing'. This does not affect the video itself when burning to disk or importing to your DVD-creating software. I'm only getting the occasional video that VLC prompts for repairing, and I ask it not to repair the video, which seems to avert the audible click, but disables the scanning functions in the process.

Does it happen with all of your AVIs or just some of them?
05-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Ash,

My K-5 is brand new. I have taken about 8 videos and each one exhibits this behavior. When I click don't repair, I cannot replay the videos in VLC. When I do repair, I get the audible clicks.

I have not tried the software which came with the K-5 for viewing the videos. Have you? Have you tried Windows Media Player?

I really like the K-5, but am frustrated by the inability to play this very common file type (AVI). The K-5 must do something to the video file which is either not standard or screws up the player software.
05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not used the packaged software only because the software I have is more streamline and advanced for my purposes. I can say that the K-5's videos should be fine - they wouldn't be corrupt, only giving your copy of VLC some trouble. Then again I'm using Macs, and on them I've had no issues with VLC. I don't like WMP personally.

Perhaps you can look for alternative free AVI players for your computers and try them out - or just use the bundled software you already have.

Last edited by Ash; 05-23-2011 at 04:35 PM.
05-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you uninstalled VLC then installed the lastest version??

Also, Realplayer can play AVI's as well.
05-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also have a Sony HD cam and use the Sony PMB software, I just import my photos from my K-r to there and they play fine. I can also just open them with any media player and have no issues. Sorry I know we're talking about the K-5 but I doubt there's a difference when it comes to codecs. I use a pretty nifty player called SPlayer
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There was another thread here on the clicks - some decoders have the problem, some don't.

Handbrake is one of the decoders that has the problem - anything transcoded using Handbrake has clicks.

Whatever codec set kdenlive uses seems fine though - no clicks in that case.

05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eliglass Quote

I really like the K-5, but am frustrated by the inability to play this very common file type (AVI). The K-5 must do something to the video file which is either not standard or screws up the player software.
AVI is a container format, not a compression algorithm. The K-5 uses Motion-JPG. Try mpeg-streamclip ( Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista/7 ) for conversion; I've had good luck with mpeg-streamclip whenever nothing else would manage it.
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eliglass Quote
I am trying to figure out the best media viewe to use for the AVI files produced by the K-5 but am having some issues:

2. Windows Media Player - I believe I have the proper Codec installed, but when I play back videos from the K-5, the sound stops working 30-40 seconds into the playback.

Any recommendations on the best media player to use with the K-5 AVI files?

Thanks for your help.
I don't think the problem is systemic to the K-5. I have gone through 2 bodies dealing with stains and lockups but the 20 or so videos I have in the 40-60 sec range are all fine. No video has ever dropped the audio with Windows Media Player or after edited and converted to WMV by Windows 7 built-in movie editor.
If it helps, I am using the stock Win Media Player with default settings, version 12.0.7601.17514 as well as an HP video player on another machine.
05-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I don't think the problem is systemic to the K-5. I have gone through 2 bodies dealing with stains and lockups but the 20 or so videos I have in the 40-60 sec range are all fine. No video has ever dropped the audio with Windows Media Player or after edited and converted to WMV by Windows 7 built-in movie editor.
If it helps, I am using the stock Win Media Player with default settings, version 12.0.7601.17514 as well as an HP video player on another machine.
I don't think Xp or Vista had Motion-jpeg by default - I'm not certain, though. I've not tried the AVI on my windows machine at all; I use quicktime for playback (perhaps perian has something to do with that) and Turbo264.HD for re-encoding. I have noticed the pop and skip problem with VLC, though, even on OSX.
05-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Windows media player works for me as well (win7 64bit.)
Divx player don't, it adds noise (clicks) to the audio.
05-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

Video from K-5 plays fine on mac QuickLook(Finder), Quicktime, Adobe Bridge and so on even without Perian.
If people have problems with windows I am sure the stuff that comes on the CD in K-5 box has everything to accommodate every win version(maybe not win95, 98).
05-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This kind of problem had been reported before and in a German forum, others and myself had a look into it.

For instance, K-5 AVIs won't play on a PS3 for longer than a couple seconds.

It turned out that the audio stream is somehow encoded in a way not expected by many players. We believe that an extra audio frame can be inserted or dropped every second or minute or so to keep both streams in sync. That may affect cameras less with a more precise internal timer.

One way to solve this is to record video with audio turned off.

The other (and recommended) way is to transcode videos upon import. At least if it wasn't meant for an immediate video project. MJPEG is great for recording (as real time MP4/AVC compression in cameras isn't great yet). However, upon import, I would transcode all videos to MP4/AVC in a similiar quality but consuming less disk space.

BTW, Handbrake internally uses VLC. So, open it with Quicktime instead.
05-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

One way to solve this is to record video with audio turned off.
If you're shooting video that matters, this is good advice anyway. Pickup an HQ audio recorder (I use a Zoom H2) and sync audio in software.
05-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
If you're shooting video that matters, this is good advice anyway. Pickup an HQ audio recorder (I use a Zoom H2) and sync audio in software.
How do you like that approach, and have you attempted to do any work with surround?

I bought one two weeks ago - my first attempt at using it was a spectacular failure (why do you have to double-tap the Record button?), I'm hoping to have a chance to try again this weekend.

Do you mount it to the camera, or use on a separate stand?