Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Did Pentax listen to us? Damn RAZOR!!!

Returned my K-5 for replacement not because of the stains never cared too much about them, but dial button problem.

The replacement arrived last week and it impressed me immediately, but I had the first session with it just now - this weekend on a birthday party.

I am totally shocked, stunned, astounded by the amazing sharpness of this THING! What is that kind of MACHINE???

The light was difficult, under direct sun with fill flash using YN56. The two Sigma zooms I had didn't
manage the contrast conditions and I was left with the manual Pentax 50mm/1.4 and the SY85mm and SY14mm manuals.
Those combined with my new K-5 are OUTA THIS WORLD!!! And did I tell you about the dynamic range in the K-5 row files oh dear... dont get me started on that )

I am happy happy happy... cannot upload any pics now for understandable reasons, I dont have the permission for it, but I am looking forward to do that in the future.

Does this camera have an AA filter at all? I think Pentax has done it AGAIN. Thank you guys, I love you (in a way)

Can this be true? Or am I dreaming Has anyone similar experiences? Were the first batches (bougth the first body in France in late October) a little soft indeed?

I think if everyone using K-5 is as satisfied as me now there will be a crazy fanatics community here

05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that's one happy customer if I ever saw one.
Good to hear.
Every Pentax I've had thus far has been sharp with every lens I have. So it's no surprise to me.
Lighting has so much to do with sharpness, so looks like you've got the right recipe for sharp results.
I've got lots of sharp images from my K-5 so far, and I look forward to many many more in the future.
05-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Returned my K-5 for replacement not because of the stains never cared too much about them, but dial button problem.

The replacement arrived last week and it impressed me immediately, but I had the first session with it just now - this weekend on a birthday party.

I am totally shocked, stunned, astounded by the amazing sharpness of this THING! What is that kind of MACHINE???

The light was difficult, under direct sun with fill flash using YN56. The two Sigma zooms I had didn't
manage the contrast conditions and I was left with the manual Pentax 50mm/1.4 and the SY85mm and SY14mm manuals.
Those combined with my new K-5 are OUTA THIS WORLD!!! And did I tell you about the dynamic range in the K-5 row files oh dear... dont get me started on that )

I am happy happy happy... cannot upload any pics now for understandable reasons, I dont have the permission for it, but I am looking forward to do that in the future.

Does this camera have an AA filter at all? I think Pentax has done it AGAIN. Thank you guys, I love you (in a way)

Can this be true? Or am I dreaming Has anyone similar experiences? Were the first batches (bougth the first body in France in late October) a little soft indeed?

I think if everyone using K-5 is as satisfied as me now there will be a crazy fanatics community here
dont do this to me
I want to buy more lens first!
05-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I didn't have to return my K-5 as I bought one used (that the owner had already gotten a replacement for - which I bought). Less than a month with the K-5 has shown me that this is the Pentax I was waiting for. It's just amazing what it can do. Yes, I'm satisfied.

05-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Returned my K-5 for replacement not because of the stains never cared too much about them, but dial button problem. The replacement arrived last week and it impressed me immediately, but I had the first session with it just now - this weekend on a birthday party. I am totally shocked, stunned, astounded by the amazing sharpness of this THING! What is that kind of MACHINE???
Are you saying that your replacement K-5 is much better than your original K-5 (defect aside)?
05-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Welcome back to the club! Both bodies (one stained and the replacement) seem(ed) good on focus. The only time it really became an issue was user error. For example, when trying to take macros on a windy day, which is every time I try to do macros outside, I wait too long to press the final release after focus is achieved. By that time, the wind has moved whatever I'm trying to shoot (or it has flown away).

You are correct.. It is a Fantastic low light camera. Not just for the ISO capability but because of the DR possible with the K5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolleiman2007/5197832276/meta/in/set-72157624602979073/

05-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Hodja Nasrettin was invited to a dinner, around the end of the dinner owner of the house holding a big scoop continuously dippin to a compote and saying "ahhh I am dying" every time he dips, Hodja watched him for a while and then said, "give that scoop to me and let us die a little bit too".

So let us die a little bit too, we would like to appreciate of your K-5 IQ with the original samples.

05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
aliasing

ok ok but I can show you only crops

using my previous body I never had aliasing and now I am getting it each time even with my crappy sigma 70-300

anything that has texture is now sliced nicely
Attached Images

05-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
contrast

the contrast is amazing - look at this shot - this is at noon under strong sunlight

colors of the SY85 lens - my favorite! - crop from the camera jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by dreamfoto; 05-24-2011 at 02:30 PM.
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
crop from SY14 mm shot

yes this is 14mm focale
Attached Images

05-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
again, I get aliasing on anything that has texture - each time on jeans or bags or t-shirts etc

crop of SY14 great performer!!! amazing colors from this lens!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by dreamfoto; 05-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
05-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

These are great sharp shots, but I don't see any aliasing - and I also always thought aliasing was a bad thing! The fact that the K5 is resolving such fine pattern without strange stripey visual effects suggests they've got the anti-aliasing filter about right...
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Inactive Account

the contrast is amazing - look at this shot - this is at noon under strong sunlight

colors of the SY85 lens - my favorite! - crop from the camera jpg
Thanks much but sorry I didn't find them razor sharp, unless you give us links for originals I would love to check again. BTW what is SY lens? Samyang?
05-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
JeffJs - wow! Great shot! Nice detail on the figures, very well crafted... inspiring!

Thanks for sharing!

ihasa, I swear I get the picture to show aliasing on my screen when I view it whole size but I know that you are right, you should by right

You want me to go out of photo storage space on the pentaxforums don't you cbaytan

Samyang 85mm, that's right - here's a crop of another box at F2.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not getting the aliasing. We're all talking about the same thing, right? Here is an example of an anti-aliased shape (left) and an aliased shape (right), blown up beyond 100%:

At 100%, they look like this (aliasing is much less noticeable, and anti-aliasing looks natural):

In a photograph, aliasing is difficult to notice, even at 100% magnification on screen. You usually have to zoom in to 200% or more to see it.

Can you take a screen shot of aliasing that you are seeing, with the image zoomed to 300% or so?