Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #1

Lens compatibility

Hello - I am a newbie to the site, discovering it after begin to explore the K-5 digital SLR as a my venture into the digital SLR realm. I own a Z-7 35mm SLR that has supplied very pleasing results, where I have 2 different zoom ranges lenses I bought with it. My question is:

Might the lenses be usable with a K-5? This would give me plenty of options, of buying the body, and get other lenses or a dedicated flash. Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance. Bill

05-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming that your lenses are k-mount lenses the answer is yes they will work with your k-5.
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Whether you meant z-70 or mz7 your lenses should work well I think.

How are the lenses labelled; ie. what's printed on the front? We can tell you how they might influence your choices of new lenses.
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WmD355 Quote
Hello - I am a newbie to the site, discovering it after begin to explore the K-5 digital SLR as a my venture into the digital SLR realm. I own a Z-7 35mm SLR that has supplied very pleasing results, where I have 2 different zoom ranges lenses I bought with it. My question is:

Might the lenses be usable with a K-5? This would give me plenty of options, of buying the body, and get other lenses or a dedicated flash. Thanks to anyone that can offer assistance. Bill
the pentax digital family of cameras uses what is often called the "crippled KAF2 mount" The basic K mount was introduced in 1975, and there exist adapters
to adapt it back to the 42mm screw mount that pentax used before then so technically you can mount any lens with the pentax name on it.

This doesn't mean that you will want to however. Any Pentax lense new enough to have 'auto focus' is fully compatible and fully functional with
your digital body. the next older generation also work well. Pentax generally called them the "Pentax-A" series. Pentax-A was usually printed on the lens and they were readily identifiable by having an "A" position on the aperature ring.
With the "A" lenses you will want to set the aperature ring to 'A' and leave it there. Pentax introduced the "A" lens family in about 1984. Most of the
Pentax lenses without the 'A" position are labeled "Pentax-M" with the M referring to the physical size of the lens, as compared to the larger K mount lenses
sold immediately after 1975. While there is a special procedure for using these
on the digital bodies, I would not describe it as elegant.

05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
more lens information

On my Pentax MZ-7, I have a 35-80 zoom, where is has:
SMC Pentax - FA

My otther lens is a Tamron 70 -300 tele macro with the adapter to use on my MZ-7

These have served me well, and hope I can use them also with the K-5

Thank you all.
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WmD355 Quote
On my Pentax MZ-7, I have a 35-80 zoom, where is has:
SMC Pentax - FA

My otther lens is a Tamron 70 -300 tele macro with the adapter to use on my MZ-7

These have served me well, and hope I can use them also with the K-5

Thank you all.
They should behave the same on your k-5 as on your mz-7